“Great value for money, service & location”
Review of MHC-Guesthouse

MHC-Guesthouse
Ranked #198 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
UK
“Great value for money, service & location”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Whenever I'm in Bangkok I always stay at MHC. It's in a quiet, but very convenient location on Soi 28 Sukhumvit Rd. The Soi itself is very quiet and leafy, but it's still only a 5 minute walk to the BTS Skytrain stations at Phrong Phom or Thong Lo at Soi 24 or 36, its also very convenient for the Eastern Bus station at Ekamai, Soi 42 and is on the right side of town for easy access to the airport. There are also lots of good cafe's, bars, restaurants and shops, malls...etc on Sukhumvit Rd, all within walking distance or a 2 minute ride away on the BTS skytrain.
Max the owner is a real gentleman and always fun to talk to, and Ka the general manager is full of great ideas and tips on what to see, where to go and more impportantly the best way to get there.
It's a guesthouse, not a 5 star hotel, so if that's what you're after, you will be disappointed. However, if you want a friendly, family run guesthouse that's clean, safe, well located and good value for money, it's perfect. The rooms are all well furnished, have nice bathroom and are clean and spacious, with AC and a safety deposit box. Max also provides free tea/coffee downstairss in the bar/reception area.
I can't see the point of paying hundreds of $ a night for a posh hotel with a shopping mall underneath it when MHC satisfies all of my basic travel needs.
10/10 from me, I've already booked up again for my next stay in Bangkok

Room Tip: The rooms are all named after aircraft, as Max the owner is a retired airline pilot. I've stayed...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank IGibbons

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
paris
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We stayed in MHC guesthouse during 3 nights in November 2012.
Everything was fine : the room (large bed, silent air con, fridge...), the people of the guest house are kind (they booked our night bus travel to chiang mai for us), and it's quite cheap compared to other guest houses of the same quality level
It's not really in the "touristic" part of the town, so you will need some time (by train, taxi, tuk tuk) to get there

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank verane_paris
Manchester
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Stayed for two nights at the MHC which is friendly, clean, and great value. The location is just down the road from a lively section of town with lots of bars (starting at the Robin Hood), and very close to the tube system which is very easy to master. Its a shame that there isnt enough business for the guesthouse bar to open and be full of people chatting but the staff were great.

Max is a character and after we disturbed his night by messing up the safe in the room, he told us one of the funniest stories of our whole holiday, one we'll not forget (he wasnt laughing though). The information max gave us right from getting a taxi at the airport to buying a ticket for the rover boats was all spot on.

If you need to eat try the yola cafe 200 yards away and you wont go wrong. Great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Norrisg24
Reviewed 11 December 2012

MHC guesthouse was a nice little guest house tucked away from the hustle and bustle of sukhumvit while still being very close to everything.
There are no staff on at night when you come in, but after ringing the bell, we were welcomed warmly by a friendly staff member.
It is hard to say what makes MHC guesthouse so special, it just feels very homely. I think the fact that it smells nice is what gives it such a warm feel. Of course the rooms are clean and the staff courteous. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Alexwhos
Reviewed 28 November 2012

MHC was recommended to me by my best friend. One of the great things about it were instructions to get there from the airport by subway which despite my best intentions and careful planning, I managed to arrive in Bangkok a single woman after dark...their instructions were great.

My room was clean, bed comfortable and they were very kind. Ka and Max were fantastic and went out of their way to give instructions to site seeing, recommended places to go and delicious places to eat. One morning even Ka spent a large part of her morning helping and phoning for my arrangements to go to Koh Tao. Unbelievable! I liked it so much I am going back to stay there next month. Inexpensive, congenial, clean two blocks away from a fantastic inexpensive subway system and two grocery stores nearby. Absolutely excellent

!

Room Tip: Single rooms do not have a window.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bluejeanlite
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 18 November 2012

This guesthouse is something special. Its old but very well maintained ans very clean. The bed in my room is so far the most comfortable I have slept in my Asia trip so far. I have a bad back and still slept like a child without any pain when I woke up! The cabinet was also large enough for even longer stay. The owner and staff is also very welcoming, attentive and helpful. They help you with any information and sightseeing. I even got a instruction on email for the taxi driver to drive me the cheapest way from the airport to the guesthouse. Sukhumvit street is a busy street. But Soi 28 is a very quiet and safe street with some old buildings and some new, and a brand new high end high rise office/condo as the nearest neighbor across the street. Its also close to many nice restaurants and the nearest Sky Train station is only about 5-10 minutes slow walk away. I will certainly stay here when I return to Bangkok. You simply don't get a better bed, management or staff even in a 5 star hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Svein Arne G
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I really cannot say enough good things about this hotel - but the real praise must be about the staff.
My bank had placed a hold on my card causing me much panic and distress - the owner, Max, kindly offered to let me call the bank from his Skype account. The matter was sorted in a matter of minutes and the panic was over.
But it was not just the owner who was amazing - a staff member explained to me how to use the sky train in a very simple way - saving me lots of money.
She also recommended a cheaper shooting range than the one I had in mind - also saving me alot of money.
The rooms were lovely and spacious and my room had a whopper fridge.
I also had a 24 hour movie channel – which was in English – showing a lot of blockbuster films, whcih was handy for the odd occassion I was in the hotel.

Wifi and Air con were excellent also.

Room Tip: On the top floor the room was extremely spacious and all the facilities provided were excellent - ma...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo