“Spot on place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #167 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
White Salmon, Washington
“Spot on place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

For a central spot on home base for exploring Bangkok Thailand. A short walk to public transportation connecting to most all the great sights in the Bangkok area.
Rooms are European size, not needing to charge for wasted space, fine for sleeping and such. Complimentary coffee and or tea in the PUB also. Complimentary internet has a strong signal. Has a homey feel when you walk the stares to and from your room. No pool to swim in. Just go and enjoy Bangkok's treasures.
Staff is very friendly and accommodating, speaking in easy to understand English. They speak Thai also, so if you need a note written in Thai, for taxi, hospital, or what ever, just ask them.
Almost next door is a local restaurant serving up good and affordable Thai food for less than a couple US dollars a plate.
I have no problem recommending the "MHC Guesthouse". Dennis S.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank d s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Oakdale, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

My husband and I had an overnight flight into Bangkok in July 2012. We received wonderful directions from Max, the owner, about how to reach the MHC Guesthouse using either a taxi or public transportation.It was very easy to get to the guesthouse using the Bangkok subway system. Since it was very early in the morning when we arrived at the guesthouse, we are able to leave our luggage there and explore Bangkok.The room was fine. A far better room than those available on Khaosan Road and at a better price too. The guesthouse is conveniently located on a quiet soi off of Sukhumvit. We were exhausted from two overnight flights and slept well. When we checked out, the staff was extremely helpful in giving us directions to where we were heading. I found the aviation theme of the lobby very interesting. We appreciated how welcomed the staff made us feel and all the information that Max emailed to us about Bangkok. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lauracheaptraveller
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

We stayed here 2x, after arrival in BKK for two days, afterwards we headed south to Koh Mak and got back for last 2 days of our stay in Thailand, we left 1 heavy suitcase in the MHC and travelled to the island light, which was smart idea and we were happy they let us to do so.
Location is really good, sky train just behind the corner. This place is situated in quiet street, so you get deserved rest&sleep after long day of exploring the city.
Bed was comfy, safety box in the room, shower hot and A/C working,that is all you need, equipment is not new/design/hi-tech, but it is guest house, not 5* hotel, you get what you pay for.
We did not eat there, as we discovered Yolo Restaurant close by, which was magnificient and we fell in love with their food. :)
All in all, if we come back to Thailand one day, we book this place again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank drissha
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Excellent location, 5 minutes walk to Sky train and just two skytrain stations from the Southern bus terminal. My room was large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was also very good. Although the shower was electric the water pressure was excellent. Very friendly host and his wife.
I would certainly recommend this guest house and I do not need to say I will go there again, I am already booked in at the end of the month !

Room Tip: As MHC is in a quiet location I would guess sleep quality qould be good in any room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Phil H
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

Capt Max, the owner of this property has an excellent staff with great hospitality. I enjoyed the stay of 3 nights. The rooms are super excellent with all the amenities one could ask for. Very well maintained with clean and tidy rooms, nice cozy big bed,TV,Fridge,Cupboard,locker and good bathrooms.He also offers free tea and coffee which I thought was very nice and one gets a very warm feeling during the stay thanks to Capt Max and his friendly staff. I thought naming the rooms with different aircraft names is a real nice touch. I was in a room named Comet. The location of the property is also helpful as it is in the middle of the city and 5 min walking distance from Phrom Phong Station which is another great advantage. All in all an excellent stay and also hope to stay there again. Highly recommended for family and solo travelers.:-)

Room Tip: All rooms should be fine.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Hrituraj
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

this time we had one of the "Superior Rooms", B767 (not easy to remember your room nbr if you're not into the Boeing typology :-) at the top floor. it is very spacious, has a comfy king size bed, a big, silent fridge, a big, quiet ceiling fan + a/c, a safety box in the wardrobe + a teakettle (obviously with tea bags, sugar, etc). the bathroom is rather small, but has a convenient shower cubicle with hot water. the rooms are always very clean. if you want your room to be done + get fresh towels, just hang out the "make my room" sign on the door knob or tell it at the reception.

as always, Mr Max, the owner, his assistant Ms Ka + housekeeper Ms Riya are very friendly + helpful (all of them speaking English).

we again had a very pleasant stay at MHC. having a safe + quiet harbor in such a busy, noisy town as BKK is crucial for us.

some restaurant recommendations: walking a 200m down the nearby Sukhumvit Soi 26 on the right-hand side, you first hit the "Restaurant & Laundry". a nice place with good, fairly priced Thai food, a/c. a bit further down there is a busy, excellent noodle soup place (noon only) and an always good place with yummy Thai food is Suda Restaurant at Sukhumvit Soi 14 (just at Asok BTS).

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank aladoro
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

I picked this spot as I was arriving in Bangkok in a few hours, had not booked a place and it was well reviewed on Tripadvisor. I was arriving in December which is a fairly busy time in Bangkok so this place was the best I could do. They were one of the only hotels to bother answering my last minute email and I was very appreciative of that. The service overall there was fairly good and the staff fairly friendly. They all speak excellent English (I believe the owner is British)

The place itself is decent enough. My room was quite large although relatively simple and a touch older. It had a double bed as well as an additional single bed and the beds were fairly comfortable. The room also had air-con and a TV. The location, just a few minutes walk to a BTS station is excellent.

The negatives are that my room, on the second floor, did have a window but it was facing a brick wall less that a foot away, which means, it effectively does not have a real window. I bought breakfast from the hotel which I have to say was one of the worst meals I've ever eaten, certainly the worst meal of my trip (although, some brits who like their eggs fried into oblivion might like it) and at 180 Baht it is very overpriced for Bangkok.

Overall, this hotel was OK. The thing is, for the price of 950 baht, if you are organized you can get something much nicer through websites like hotels.com, agoda etc for almost the same place. I wound up moving to another hotel in the area which "normally" costs 1700 baht but i booked it for 1050 baht through hotels.com and it sort of blew MHC guesthouse away.

Room Tip: although i didn't see it, i believe the room on the third floor has a real window.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank DamosR
MHCGuesthouseMgmt, Owner at MHC-Guesthouse, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
This Reviewer wrote 2 reviews, in fact he told me he was going to do so. I complained and the second was pulled. He arrived late on the evening of 9th January. He called my Manager from the airport desperate for a room. Ka pulled out all stops to have him in a room asap. Here is gratitude for you. It baffles me why you stayed at all. At the top of your check-in form is written."IF YOU ARE NOT COMPLETELY SATISFIED YOU MAY CHECK OUT WITHIN 15 MINUTES WITH A FULL REFUND". I am the only hotel that gives such a guarantee, just to stop types like you staying. I am sure you reorganized the window is only 17 minutes from the wall within minutes of entering the room. If the room was not satisfactory the correct thing to do was to check out immediately with your money. Instead you opted to stay and complain later. To any one reading this, please if you don't like the MHC, just collect your money and leave quietly. By staying you negates any complains. I don't consider this the actions of a mature person. The Mhc is a very friendly, family orientated guest house at a very competitive price. My reviews and occupancy rate of 97% testates to that. I do NOT want time wasters in my hotel. The price of your breakfaster was told to you prior to ordering. It was your decision to order the more expensive one. Had you said something to my staff, she would have gladly accommodate you. I would not go to an eating place and says nothing if I am dissatisfied. I don't think you are as smart as you want us believe. I would like to return your $6. Kindly send me an address or account where I can do so. You have found another hotel more suitable to your wishes, good luck and good riddance. You are no longer welcome. As you can see I have sufficient backbone to print my name. Max Rathan