“friendly guesthouse”

Ranked #207 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
cha-am, thailand
“friendly guesthouse”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

only 5 minutes walk from bts skytrain, after booking got a nice mail from the hotel with all the detailed explanations on how to get to it, which was great,
rooms are basic, but very friendly staff, the 2 phillipino ladies who clean the rooms always smiling, the lady in charge extremely helpful, she wrote for us in thai everything we needed to get by for taxis, bts and so on, very useful, she could not do enough to help and advise us, she sure knows her town and what is nice to visit 10 out of 10 for the staff

breakfast very basic, my friend, unfortunately got locked in her room and could not get out, they had to call somebody to dismantle the broken lock and replace it, which took nearly 2 hours and it messed up our schedule, and also the room did not get made, the shower door was also broken which made it difficult for her to take a shower, but when she complained about it all, the person in charge gave her 100 bahts back out of her personal money

Room Tip: single room very small and claustrophobic, choose the double one even if you are only one person, wo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 16 September 2013

shared a double room with AC that was large and clean! The hotel is very near to the subway station, and the staff, very helpful. It's a bit far from the river and grand palace part of town but lots of places to explore and go out near the guesthouse including Nana, the red light district.

I would stay here again and recommend it to friends!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stayed at MHC with a friend as the starting point for our backpacking trip through SE Asia. The place was just what we needed. No frills per se- but for the price it was perfect. Very convenient location next to BTS and also great food carts, lots of places for Thai massages, and an awesome used book store. There's also a yummy thai food place right next door. As two youngish girls- we felt super safe there because its on a quieter side street (a bonus was that across the street is a nice apartment complex or something.. They had constant security guards outside). The service was also outstanding- the two Thai women who worked there were super friendly and helpful, answering our MANY questions about how to get around the crazy city, and letting us borrow guidebooks, etc. when needed! Also free coffee / tea, wi fi and A/c!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carolyn C
McLeans Ridges, NSW, Australia
Reviewed 15 September 2013

MHC guesthouse is in a great location, just off Sukhumvit, and within walking distance of Phrom Phong sky train station.
The staff were extremely helpful, and assisted with directions written in English and Thai.You can avoid expensive package tours to the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun etc. etc using their suggestions and information.
The single room was compact and clean, but without any external windows, a row of glass bricks had been installed high up the wall. This created problems for me whenever the stairwell light was turned on. Also, there was a section of shared wall with the neighbouring room, where a light was left on all night. Consequently, the room was not in darkness at all.
I mentioned this to the staff who promised to pass on my comments to the manager.
Some of the information in the room needs to be updated. The TV only had Thai language channels
The noise from Sukhumvit was negligible, and inside the guesthouse was acceptable, typical of Asian hotels regardless of price. Earplugs are advised for those who use them.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a double room, even if you are travelling solo. At the moment the single...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Karaj, Iran
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here at the end of August. We booked here at the start of our holiday and decided to rebook for our final night in Bangkok. We went to Phuket and return to BKK and come right back at MHC guest house. And thanked God to be back at MHC. The rooms were clean, the price was cheap, the owner (Max) was a great dude and the staffs were very polite and helpful.
My wife was 4 month pregnant and the only place she could relax in crowded BKK was MHC guest house.
Every morning Max checked his email and read comments on Tripadvisor.com, so Max if you read my comment, I want to thank you for your great hospitality.
Best wishes
Shahab Mohseni
Iranian dude.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ShahabMoh3ni
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great little guesthouse with great staff....Max was on holiday so missed him but the manager and remaining staff were excellent they helped us in many ways to get around places with instructions and info.
Yes lots of stairs but you only carry you case up once and down once. lol
Shame we missed you Max but maybe next time.......praise your staff for excellent service.
Scott & Michelle

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amubis
mhc-guesthouse, Owner at MHC-Guesthouse, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thanks very much for your kind review. I am sorry I missed you. I Hope we will meet again on your next trip to the land of smiles. Kinest regards. Max Rathan
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here at the end of August. We booked here at the start of our holiday and decided to rebook for our final night in Bangkok. The room we stayed in was basic but not a problem. However, when returning to our room at midnight there was an awful smell coming up from the drains thought the sink (which was in the bedroom rather than the ensuite). We tried putting the plug in, spraying deodorant ... Unfortunately the smell of poo was too strong! I hardly slept at all (first time of my life sleeping with fingers in my nose). The next day when we were asked if we had slept well I told the nice lady about what happened and she politely shrugged it off, saying that when it has been raining this can happen (bare in mind it rains a lot in rainy season!) My wife and I have stayed in many cheap hostels at a fraction of the cost in our lives and never smelt anything as bad as this room.

• Stayed August 2013
9 Thank Tommy H
Sir, You stayed at the MHC on 2 occassions. On your first visit of 30th July you booked a double room for yourself and friend. My manager was very kind to you and gave you an upgrade Superior room (B.767) with no extra charge.
There were I am sure many other good points about the MHC that brought you back on the 28th.August.
These good points seem to have slipped your memory when you wrote your review.
It is with regret you had a disturbed sleep on your second visit. I do apologise for this. Should you return, we will try to compensate you. It is ashame you did not complained about the smell at the time, when we were in a position to change your room. Complaining after the fact means we are unable to retify the problem. Max Rathan