“MHC, Fine With Me” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #167 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Vladivostok, Russia
“MHC, Fine With Me”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Another objective review from FattM. As always, your experience may vary.

I needed a last minute room in Bangkok a week ago and I'd read a number of good reviews about MHC. I was also tired of staying in the dreary, dirty place that I'd been twice before that I won't name but that you can probably work out from reading my reviews.

Anyway, my main priorities when choosing a place to stay in Bangkok are price, location, and cleanliness. I want to pay 1,000 baht or something very close to it. I want to be no more that about a ten minute walk to the BTS or MTR. And I want to not sleep with bedbugs or roaches. Call me picky if you want. That's just how I am. MHC was more than acceptable on all counts.

The Goods:
Comfy beds. Yes, you may find that two mattresses on a bed is strange. But it's not impossible to deal with. Just keep it in mind when you get out of bed to use the toilet facilities at 2:47am because it'll be a longer drop than you're used to.
Very cold beer very available downstairs. (Their website says a pint of Heineken is B120 but I think it's more like B150. Whatever...Still, maybe they should change that).
Very clean. No mould on the walls, no insects in the room. Fresh towels and a decent sized shower. I can't say the same for other places in Bangkok.
Quiet. It's far enough off Sukhumvit to be pleasantly pleasant but not far enough away to be a hike to get to.

The Bads:
Every place has Bads. Even The Four Seasons has Bads. It's nothing personal. This is a "review" site, not a "fawning advertisement so I can get a free room next time" site.
MHC isn't as close to the BTS as it says it is (5 minutes). It's pretty close, but it's not that close. Just keep it in mind. The closest station is Phrom Phong and it's about a ten minute walk. A ten minute walk isn't an issue for almost all people.
The stairs in MHC are pretty steep and there's no elevator. It's not a big deal, but just be aware if you're coming in after several beers or if you have creaky knees. More importantly, be very aware if you're still a bit legless in the morning. It's not MHC's fault- it's more down to whoever built the building.

The Decision:
The question always is "Would I stay here again?" The other question is "Would I recommend it to my friends?" And in both cases the answer is "For sure." Online bookings are easy to make through their website. The guy who owns the place is helpful and clearly keen to keep up the place's reputation. Although I didn't test this, the place seems to be "guest friendly"- but just keep it down a bit, okay? And remember that the steepish steps could be a challenge to "guests" wearing high heels or platform shoes. And the price and cleanliness are right. Checking in and out is hassle-free but be aware that they want the room charge paid up front and in cash so don't show up with just a credit/ debit card.

All in all, if they'll have me, I'll definitely be staying at MHC again.

Oh, and the WiFi's pretty fast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank FattM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Pros
Just brilliant, very good location, park for kids and some excellent shopping centers are at walking distance, i will recommend and come here again.

Cons
Far away from airport, takes lot of time to travel back to airport in peak hours.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Shafaqat
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Was doing a two day stop over in Bangkok going and coming from Koh Tao and couldn't be happier with our stay here.
Communication - Max emailed us with lots on information about finding our way to the guesthouse prior to leaving UK and has some great travel advice.
Staff - Staff were friendly, very helpful with local knowledge and always polite.
Room - We were lucky to get the rooms on the first floor for both our stays which was lucky as I had a bad foot wound on way back so can't comment on people saying stairs were difficult to navigate. Rooms were exceptionally clean and the beds were great for a comfortable nights sleep, they were very firm but this stops you sinking into mattress and sweating the night away! Air con and fans means those hot nights are not a trouble!
If we are back doing the touring holiday again know where we'll be staying again!!

Room Tip: When booking ask if the rooms on the first floor are available to avoid stairs to climb.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrMidwife
Maha Sarakam, Maha Sarakham, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I'm an expat in upcountry Thailand I needed to go to Bangkok do some paperwork. I just needed basic accommodation with good access to public transit and MHC fit the bill perfectly. The staff is wonderful and speak very good English and knowledgeable of the area. Max, the owner is a real treat to meet and he and the staff make you feel like a guest in their home more so than just another customer. I would recommend this place to both family and friends. Be warned word is getting out about this place and you will need to book early as the place fills up fast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Dave M
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Great budget hotel. It was CLEAN and COMFORTABLE and in an excellent location. I haven't found many budget places in Bangkok that are this clean. The owners were really nice, even when I arrived late and had to ring the doorbell and wake them up. The internet worked well. I didn't try the breakfast.

Room Tip: Stairs, so if you have luggage request lower floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kar S
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

My partner and I stayed at MHC Guesthouse at the end of September when we first arrived in Bangkok. The guest house is located on Soi 28 in the Sukhumvit area which is full of bars, restaurants and shopping malls. A great location which is next to the Sky Train which can take you to any place in Bangkok.

We had requested a pick up from the airport through the guesthouse via booking.com which never turned up but I think that was more an issue with the booking website to be honest.

When we arrived at MHC we were warmly welcomed by the friendly staff and were shown to our room which had a huge bed, wardrobe, bathroom, fridge and safe. The room is spacious with air con, towels and fresh white sheets.

The staff were extremley helpful and suggested places for us to go and see as well as places to eat to match our budget. We also had the pleasure of meeting the owner who was previously pilot and told us some interesting stories about his past in flying.

We would highly recommend this place to couples as the rooms are private, clean and safe. Make sure you book in advance as we came back 3 weeks later to Bangkok and they were sadly fully booked. Again the staff were more than happy to help us find somewhere else to stay close by.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lovelady_454
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is the umpteenth time I've stayed at the MHC on Soi 28, Sukhumvit and I've yet to find anywhere better in Bangkok. Safe and secure, a short walk from the Skytrain station, numerous shops, roadside stalls, restaurants,bars etc. The rooms are spacious, very clean, fresh white sheets and towels, aircon and ceiling fan, in-room safe, large wardrobe, fridge, free fast wifi. There is a bar and a small terrace at the front. The friendly staff all speak English.

Room Tip: The double rooms on the upper floors are large and sunny
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo