“Average hotel, poor staff attitude”
Review of MHC-Guesthouse

MHC-Guesthouse
Ranked #194 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
London
“Average hotel, poor staff attitude”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed at MHC for two nights in January 2014. It is a perfectly average low-budget hotel in a quiet part of the length of Sukhumvit Road (Soi 28). The owner or the manager (two different people) rarely seem to be around but a receptionist/cleaner lives on the premises and is there to open doors and otherwise assist (if you find her, the reception is rarely manned).

The big plus of the guesthouse is its proximity to Skytrain as Phrom Phong station is only about 7 minutes away on foot. The area is quiet but, on the other hand, there is hardly anything to see in terms of sights or even street life. Asok, a livelier area, is one BTS stop away.

I stayed in a cheap single room which, post-factum, I do not recommend to anyone. Its only window is to the staircase, which makes it quite noisy when the party souls return in the wee hours. The room has glass bricks lining the top part of the wall, so the light from the corridor invariably gets in at night. None of the booking sites mention the fact that single rooms have no windows, which should preferably be amended.

The room was reasonably clean when I arrived but was not cleaned during the two days I stayed. The owner later told me that small guesthouses like his never offer daily cleaning, but I challenge that – every other comparable guesthouse in South-east Asia where I stayed cleaned my rooms daily. I travel extensively, jointly using booking.com or Tripadvisor 40-50 times a year.

The biggest setback of my stay was a complete lack of understanding and a very unhealthy attitude of the manager and the owner to a problem I encountered with my booking. In my booking.com reservation, it was stated, conflictingly, that “100 percent of the first night will be charged on the day of booking” and that “all payments are to be made at the property during your stay, unless otherwise stated in the hotel policies or in the room conditions. Please note that your credit card may be pre-authorised prior to your arrival”. I had accordingly assumed that the first night had been charged to my card; the owner later wrote to me saying I had to pay on arrival which, I assumed, involved the second night only.

Upon arrival, I was however asked to pay for two nights. Confused, I asked to double check with my bank if the first night had not been charged already and the receptionist agreed. I was not able to reach my bank that night and left early for the day in the morning, coming back around 10pm. I was then finally able to talk to my bank and confirm that no money had been paid, meaning I did still owe MHC for both nights. I resolved to paying in the morning but imagine my shock when the receptionist knocked on my door at midnight with an angry manager on the phone demanding immediate payment. It was entertaining but rather rude. They had copied my passport and had my full home address details so making a run for it with the miniscule money they were demanding was not really on the cards.

I paid the money around midnight and immediately wrote to the owner to explain that getting woken up by any hotel staff at midnight does not lead to positive holiday experience. The owner refused to acknowledge the contradictory information in my booking, instead answering in a patronising tone along the lines of his comments to less-than-positive Tripadvisor reviews. The conversation then developed in a slightly less positive direction, culminating in the owner calling me “small brain”. It was infinitely entertaining but I never expected a former pilot to be trained in hotel management to begin with. The owner promised an angry response to any of my reviews of MHC, so let us see if I get called names again.

Overall, MHC is an average, somewhat overrated and a tad overpriced hotel, perfect for last-minute stays in Bangkok, especially if you are planning to spend minimal time in the hotel and avoid communicating with the owner. Proximity to Skytrain is indeed is biggest advantage.

Room Tip: Do not choose cheap single rooms without windows.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank anjci

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had such a great time at the MHC!!! We arrived very late at night but there was not one complaint from the staff member who woke up to let us in. Rooms were very spacious, with clean bathrooms. We were in a great location, only about a 5 minute walk to the BRT (sky train). The staff and hotel manager were all very lovely, and treated us very well over our stay (especially enjoyed getting to know Max, the manager). Highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a comfortable resting spot with easy access to Bangkok's main attractions.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GabyB
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

This is the first place I stayed in Bangkok and it was a good start!
My girlfriend and I got to the hotel at 11am but the room wasn't ready (check-in wasn't until 2) but the lady working there was very friendly and spoke good English, and let us leave our bags in the empty bar/lobby area while we went off exploring.

After a wander round the local area (which has plenty of restaurants/bars/street vendors all very close by) we came back at 1pm and had a drink, and by 1.30 the room was ready. It was really nice; spacious and very clean with a big double bed and a large single bed. There was a tv with an English news channel, a large fridge and a safe in the room which could be used for free. There was also free wifi that was a good speed and worked fine in the room.

The bed was really comfy and I slept well, it was also very quiet. For less than £10 each I thought this place was great and I would definitely stay again! I hope the rest of the places I go to are as good as this.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Callum M
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed in Max guesthouse two times: In the beginning of our trip and in the end.
So you can see, that the first stay was quite convincing!

The room (double) was clean, furnished nicely and the bed was comfy. AC and hot water were always working and the free coffee (nescafé) in the lobby helped get the day started.

The location is close to Phrom Phong station of the skytrain Sukhumvit line and good streetfood is found on the way to the station.

Advice for trips, general help navigating Bangkok and where to find the next good thai massage is given by Max himself or one of his staff.

Nevertheless I have to admit that the stairs are really steep and there is no lift. But we were used to carrying our luggage arround, so it didn't bother us and I guess it would'nt bother most people.

All in all,
a good and reasonble priced place to stay in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Double rooms are large enough for two people and luggage.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kai S
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 21 December 2013

+ nice, clean and quiet rooms.
+ good location - 5-10 min to BTS (sky train) station.
+ extremely helpful staff - I have to point out that it was the first time I got a welcoming email from the manager before my arrival with a set of practical information including how to get to the hotel from the airport not being ripped off by the taxi driver.

All mentioned above one can have for a very reasonable price - very good price/quality ratio.

All in all it's a great place to stay in.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Luki777
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at MHC guesthouse 3 nights on arrival and decided to return after our 3weeks trip around Thailand for 3more nights. We really liked the place for the fact that it´s in a great location (quiet side street but near the business district and airtrain, with terrific morning street food!) and the friendliness of the owner and his staff.
The room was cosy and the bed, though high to jump in, was really comfy! Only downside was the lack of elevator (we were on the third floor and had heavy luggages) but the feeling of security, the cleanliness and the wise advises from the staff made up for it!
I will highly recommend the place to my friends and if I go back to Bangkok I'll definitely stay there again!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Aureliebubu
Brisbane
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stayed here around a total of 7 nights in November 2013.

The location is good being only a few minutes walk to some good eateries and about 10 minutes walk to Phrom Pong BTS station.For somewhere so close to Sukhumvit Rd it is very quiet.

Max the owner is friendly guy who cares about his guests and is happy to give any information necessary.

Ka the manager is a lovely lady (with a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of Thailand) who happily helped me out no end with advice on everything from phone cards to travelling.

Together Max and Ka made me feel at home and made my stay a really enjoyable one. I wholeheartedly recommend this guesthouse.

Room Tip: If you have problems climbing stairs avoid the rooms on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo