“Great Guestouse, Highly Recommend.”
Review of MHC-Guesthouse

MHC-Guesthouse
Ranked #194 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Bangkok, Thailand
“Great Guestouse, Highly Recommend.”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Had a fantastic stay in Bangkok with Max and his team. MHC guest house is clean, well priced, good location, has a friendly atmosphere. Everything you need from a good guesthouse.
Booked through agoda for my first few nights in Thailand as lonelyplanet says sukhumvit is "the closest option to the airport..also near the eastern bus station and on the BTS and MRT lines."

Planned to stay in Bangkok only a few nights before travelling north but enjoyed my stay so much i stayed longer!

Arrived earlier than the check in time but my room was made available promptly.
Always a staff member around in the bar/reception to have a chat with/plan your day/drink tea or coffee with.

Stayed in a double room with clean comfortable bed, air conditioning, safety deposit box, clean bathroom with hot water. Good Wifi connection.

Max and Ms Ka helped plan my days including how to get about, good places to eat and recommended sight seeing.
Would strongly recommend. ***** See you at my next stay! Laura

Room Tip: Stayed in Vicount room. Double with bathroom
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Positives:1. The staff at this guesthouse are amazing!! They go out of their way to accomodate you. They woke up before 5am just so they could help catch a taxi to the airport at a decent fare and Captain Max organised luggage storage for us while we travelled around Thailand at no extra cost.
2. Also for the price you pay, you get good service....clean rooms nice hot water, and it's very safe.
3. walking distance to the station
Negatives:
1.The location of this place is not so great. It's pretty far from most touristy destinations such as Khao San Road and even a lot of the malls. i feel like we stayed in a closer location, we would have gone out a lot more.
2. There is no lift and the stairs are very steep!

Overall impression: good budget accomodation but would have prefered centrally located hotel

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank tksyd
Chapala, Mexico
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed here six nights – three nights at the beginning of our trip and then three nights at the end of our trip for about $31 per night. My husband (60) and I (55) traveled thru Southeast Asia for 9 weeks. We stayed in 16 guesthouses - most were between $25 to $45 per nights. I forced ranked them all: three 5 star, four 4 star, seven 3 star, one 2 star, and one 1 star. This is a good reliable place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 7 January 2014

this is indeed a very very nice guesthouse in BKK ! Max, the owner, welcomes you like friends, Ms Ka, the receptionnist is always available, checking the bus or train schedule for you and gives good advice. the room is always clean and its located in a quiet soi near the prom phong bts station. lots of street food available nearby, a supermarket and of course a 7/11 around the corner ! we always meet interesting people there and share travelling tips.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lnachevrier
London
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed at MHC for two nights in January 2014. It is a perfectly average low-budget hotel in a quiet part of the length of Sukhumvit Road (Soi 28). The owner or the manager (two different people) rarely seem to be around but a receptionist/cleaner lives on the premises and is there to open doors and otherwise assist (if you find her, the reception is rarely manned).

The big plus of the guesthouse is its proximity to Skytrain as Phrom Phong station is only about 7 minutes away on foot. The area is quiet but, on the other hand, there is hardly anything to see in terms of sights or even street life. Asok, a livelier area, is one BTS stop away.

I stayed in a cheap single room which, post-factum, I do not recommend to anyone. Its only window is to the staircase, which makes it quite noisy when the party souls return in the wee hours. The room has glass bricks lining the top part of the wall, so the light from the corridor invariably gets in at night. None of the booking sites mention the fact that single rooms have no windows, which should preferably be amended.

The room was reasonably clean when I arrived but was not cleaned during the two days I stayed. The owner later told me that small guesthouses like his never offer daily cleaning, but I challenge that – every other comparable guesthouse in South-east Asia where I stayed cleaned my rooms daily. I travel extensively, jointly using booking.com or Tripadvisor 40-50 times a year.

The biggest setback of my stay was a complete lack of understanding and a very unhealthy attitude of the manager and the owner to a problem I encountered with my booking. In my booking.com reservation, it was stated, conflictingly, that “100 percent of the first night will be charged on the day of booking” and that “all payments are to be made at the property during your stay, unless otherwise stated in the hotel policies or in the room conditions. Please note that your credit card may be pre-authorised prior to your arrival”. I had accordingly assumed that the first night had been charged to my card; the owner later wrote to me saying I had to pay on arrival which, I assumed, involved the second night only.

Upon arrival, I was however asked to pay for two nights. Confused, I asked to double check with my bank if the first night had not been charged already and the receptionist agreed. I was not able to reach my bank that night and left early for the day in the morning, coming back around 10pm. I was then finally able to talk to my bank and confirm that no money had been paid, meaning I did still owe MHC for both nights. I resolved to paying in the morning but imagine my shock when the receptionist knocked on my door at midnight with an angry manager on the phone demanding immediate payment. It was entertaining but rather rude. They had copied my passport and had my full home address details so making a run for it with the miniscule money they were demanding was not really on the cards.

I paid the money around midnight and immediately wrote to the owner to explain that getting woken up by any hotel staff at midnight does not lead to positive holiday experience. The owner refused to acknowledge the contradictory information in my booking, instead answering in a patronising tone along the lines of his comments to less-than-positive Tripadvisor reviews. The conversation then developed in a slightly less positive direction, culminating in the owner calling me “small brain”. It was infinitely entertaining but I never expected a former pilot to be trained in hotel management to begin with. The owner promised an angry response to any of my reviews of MHC, so let us see if I get called names again.

Overall, MHC is an average, somewhat overrated and a tad overpriced hotel, perfect for last-minute stays in Bangkok, especially if you are planning to spend minimal time in the hotel and avoid communicating with the owner. Proximity to Skytrain is indeed is biggest advantage.

Room Tip: Do not choose cheap single rooms without windows.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank anjci
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had such a great time at the MHC!!! We arrived very late at night but there was not one complaint from the staff member who woke up to let us in. Rooms were very spacious, with clean bathrooms. We were in a great location, only about a 5 minute walk to the BRT (sky train). The staff and hotel manager were all very lovely, and treated us very well over our stay (especially enjoyed getting to know Max, the manager). Highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a comfortable resting spot with easy access to Bangkok's main attractions.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GabyB
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

This is the first place I stayed in Bangkok and it was a good start!
My girlfriend and I got to the hotel at 11am but the room wasn't ready (check-in wasn't until 2) but the lady working there was very friendly and spoke good English, and let us leave our bags in the empty bar/lobby area while we went off exploring.

After a wander round the local area (which has plenty of restaurants/bars/street vendors all very close by) we came back at 1pm and had a drink, and by 1.30 the room was ready. It was really nice; spacious and very clean with a big double bed and a large single bed. There was a tv with an English news channel, a large fridge and a safe in the room which could be used for free. There was also free wifi that was a good speed and worked fine in the room.

The bed was really comfy and I slept well, it was also very quiet. For less than £10 each I thought this place was great and I would definitely stay again! I hope the rest of the places I go to are as good as this.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple