“So much to like, yet so much wrong!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avion Apart-hotel

Avion Apart-hotel
Ranked #750 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Austin
“So much to like, yet so much wrong!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Where to start? Our small-group tour company in the US booked us into this hotel for a total of 3 stays, while going and coming to/from Laos & Burma.
The positives: good location near the big airport, eateries nearby were not bad, so we weren't trapped eating hotel food, quiet location, great pool for swimming and lounging, rooms were comfortable. One staff member was friendly and helpful, but she was so outnumbered! Wi fi worked in lobby but slowly.
The negatives: Staff totally clueless, without much English. Most were uninterested in giving good, or even indifferent, service. On 2 out of 3 stays we got a key from front desk on check-in that we found didn't work after we had schlepped all the way to our rooms. NO possibility to get a second key for the other person in the room. (But that was true all over SE Asia.) Breakfast was barely edible -- dried-out steam table fried eggs, white bread for toast, little fruit, corn flakes only for cereal, bad coffee and pastries. They also were very difficult to communicate with from the US via email -- we sent request after request to them, asking to book additional nights so we could arrive a day early, but no answers came back until I think our tour company told them to respond to us. Once they did, it seemed no one who spoke much English was reading or writing the emails. It was almost impossible to arrange, via email from the US, for their hotel van to pick us up at the airport, or to find out how many people it held. Finally one of our group got an intelligible email confirming her pickup. And there were enough vehicles to take all five of us, when we arrived from the US.
There are interesting places to eat in their little cul-de-sac, and ATMs on the main road nearby. The eateries aren't going to be in any tour guide, but the food was tasty and fairly inexpensive, and no one got sick eating in them!

Room Tip: This property is spread out over several buildings. The ones a bit farther from the main building h...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank TexJo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

Stayed here 3 different nights en route to other countries. Easy access to the aiport versus being in Bangkok if you are simply looking for a place to sleep that is reasonably priced. My experience was better than some other reviewers. Room was clean and shower worked and bed was comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was certainly not exciting but was adequate.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Tvlrah
Honolulu
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

Avion is in a very depressing area, but only a 10-15 minute cab ride to the airport. Sometimes there is only vaguely warm water in the shower. Some mosquitoes in the ground floor room. Really poor breakfast by Asian hotel standards. However, there is a spa a few minutes walk from the hotel "Thai Six Senses" where I got a body scrub, 90 minute massage and mani/pedi for $55. Truly a wonderful experience and great price. The 60 minute foot massage is about $7.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

I stayed in this hotel on 4 separate nights while on a group tour to 3 different countries in Southeast Asia. The tour company chose this hotel, using it as a hub before and after the trip and between countries. The only good thing this hotel has going for it is its location near the airport. However, even that isn't perfect because it's not well-known and the taxi drivers can't find it.

The Avion's website says they have a shuttle service to the airport. I sent several emails to the hotel in the weeks leading up to my arrival asking how to arrange the shuttle pickup at the airport. I never got a reply. When I did arrive a few days early, and stayed at the Novotel at the airport before joining the tour at the Avion, I asked the concierge at the Novotel to call the hotel and get directions to the shuttle. After 3 phone calls over 2 days with no answer, he finally reached someone who told him there was no shuttle and I should take a taxi.

The website also claims the hotel will make arrangements for day trips around Bangkok for its guests. Since I had a late night flight on the last day, I asked at the desk about what was on offer. They said they no longer do that even though their website says they do.

The staff at the desk does not have a very good command of English even though the hotel is now being used by numerous large American tour groups.

On the last evening when we checked in with the tour, I asked our Thai-speaking tour guide to arrange for me to keep my room the next day until 6 pm rather than checking out at noon. We agreed on the fee for the extension, and I thought all was set. The following morning I went out for several hours, and when I returned a little after noon my key no longer worked. I went back to the desk with the problem and reminded the desk clerk that I was staying until 6, and she adjusted my key card. About an hour later I got a telephone call from a different desk clerk wondering why I had not yet checked out. I reminded him that I had made arrangements to stay until 6. A second call came from the original deskclerk about a half hour later with the same question. I then went back down to the desk and tried the explanation again. and was told the information had not been passed from the night clerk the day before to the day staff, even though she had adjusted my key card earlier and I had explained myself.

The room itself was OK, but nothing special. The breakfasts were very basic. Eggs were available but cold, and there was never enough fruit or bread for toast.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank thompms
Bellingham, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

My husband and I were travelling on a group tour[s] which had us booked in and out at this hotel for 4 separate nights, plus I had booked us an additional night as we arrived a day ahead of the group. I also had made arrangements with them for an airport pick-up but when we arrived at 1:30 AM no one was there for us so we took a taxi over. The clerk said we did not have a reservation but fortunately I had all the confirmation paperwork so we were given a room but had to change out the next day to a different one. On only 1 out of 5 nights did the A/C work to cool, and the bed cover was a duvet-type blanket, - this in 85*-90* Bangkok temps. It was like being in a sauna! There were cobwebs and bugs in the rooms, only tepid water for showers and the drains did not function well, the breakfasts were as awful as described in other reviews, and the staff spoke minimal English and were not helpful, [despite there being dozens of English-speaking guests - tour groups - passing through]. The location was close to the airport [which I suppose is why the tour company booked us there,] but we were so grateful to flee to the Nonvotel for our final night in Bangkok. When we spoke to the tour company about all this we were told that the hotel had only been functioning for about 3 months and that there were "kinks'" to be worked out but I now see that T.A. has reviews back to 2010.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lisa M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a group tour, in transit to another country, both in the outbound and inbound route. On the positive side, I would say its location near the airport is a plus as compared to hotels downtown which are typically 45-90 minutes away from the aiport, depending on traffic. On the negative side, their breakfast is terrible (cold eggs, only one kind of fruit, canned fruit juice, etc), there is a treacherous step to and from the room to the bathroon, and reception personnel speak little or no English. There must be better airport hotels!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Renald
toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

My family is visiting bangkok for the first time and we wanted to make sure that their stay would be comfortable. We visited a few hotels and decided to make the reservation with Avion to end the last part of their stay because the rooms looked very nice. It was a bonus to have the hotel situated near the airport as well.
The reservation was made with the inclusion of airport transfers and breakfast.
We called to confirm 4 days before and we were informed that there was no record of the reservation. We tried to rebook the room with the hotel but were encouraged to book online through Agoda. The price listed was more expensive than what was quoted over the phone.
We placed another call to the hotel to book the room. We then tried to confirm that breakfast and transfers were still included. The agent on the phone said she would check and call us back. We waited for an hour and had to call them back. She said she had no information and again told us that she would call back. When she contacted us, she said that breakfast was included but that we would have to pay for the airport transfers. When asked about the vehicle, she told us that it would be an airport taxi. We requested a van, as it is common in bangkok for hotels to have van transfers, and were told we would have to pay 1100 baht ($40 US) for a 5km transfer.
We decided to cancel the reservation and book elsewhere. If service was this bad even before the guests got to the hotel, we chose not to find out how bad service would be after we got there.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family