“Has some 'teething' issues, but great potential”

Hansar Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #38 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
London, United Kingdom
“Has some 'teething' issues, but great potential”
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We always stay at the Lebua when we go to Bangkok, but fancied a change and read such great reviews of this hotel we decided we had to check it out!

I had such high expectations of this hotel because of the other reviews, but it didn't quite meet them.

Summarise the pros & cons:

Pros
> Beautiful building, design and architecture. It really is stunning, as are the suites, with every amenity imaginable provided [sellotape, scissors, torch, mouthwash etc etc]
> Bed is the most comfortable one i've slept in by far
> Concierge guys were super helpful and friendly
> Gym has brand new equipment with personal tv screens and plenty of cardio machines. Really liked that they provided headphone sets as well as the usual water and towels
> They gave us a late check out until 4pm as our flight was late in the evening
> Location - you're less than 5 mins from the BTS and so convenient for Siam Paragon shopping centre [1 stop on BTS or 15min easy walk]

Cons
> Service was really patchy.
Reception staff - They didn't have our room reservation, and we were sat by reception for about 40mins until they informed us that we wouldn't be able to check in until 6pm [we arrived at 4pm] They just offered us a cold drink or a coffee for the inconvenience [but did upgrade us to a better room].
Breakfast staff - Took ages to get coffee, then an hot breakfast order. First request for a refill coffee ignored, 2nd provided us with lukewarm pots. Clearing of plates really slow - which is not ideal on a buffet.
> Pool is just a lap pool, you won't get any sun, so its more for exercise rather than 'lounging'
> My other half complained about the gym equipment not having enough heavy free weights

Overall I personally think it's better suited to business travellers, but has amazing potential once its sorted out it's initial 'teething' issues

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Had a two night stay here in late February, and was able to book a very special intro rate of about 3,500 THB/nt.

As the hotel is very new, you definitely need to help out the taxi driver to find the place. First impressions were a bit dodgy, as the hotel is located down a dark alley behind the Four Seasons. I will mention that I never felt unsafe walking to or from the hotel at any time of the day.

We were upgraded to one of the rooms with the funky plants on the wall, which was kind of neat. There was a daybed, separate living/sleeping areas, and a well appointed bathroom. We overlooked the swimming pool, about 7-8 floors up.

The bed, and sleeping in general, was very comfortable - with the powerful air conditioning keeping the muggy Bangkok weather at bay. I was a bit surprised to see that the hotel hallways are actually outside; I'm not sure how that's going to work during the wet season, and they'll have to replace some of that carpet pretty quickly.

This hotel opened late last year, but I felt that the room was already starting to look very worn - I'm surprised at what appears to be the low level of workmanship on some of the finishings. The walk in shower was nice, but the water pooled away from the drain - something that shouldn't happen in such a newly built hotel.

Breakfast was ample for our needs, with a nice spread of fruit and made-to-order options from the open kitchen.

The staff were exceptional; very accommodating and helpful - very Thai.

We used the pool/gymnasium area and it was quite pleasant, the pool is large enough to do some good lap swimming (felt like 25M, maybe longer), and the gym equipment was, unsurprisingly, new and in good working order. The lone attendant made sure we had water and towels.

Would I stay here again? I would probably give it another try if I could find a similar rate. I like the location and the overall vibe of the place.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ozcanuck
Germany
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I stayed here in the aftermath of the earthquake in Japan. It was exactly what I needed. The staff was the best hotel staff I have ever experienced, the rooms were modern, clean and comfortable. The breakfast would place itself among the best hotel breakfast's I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. Overall and fantastic and highly recommendable stay! I also have to mention the SPA - great!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 23 March 2011

My stay was brief but I was very impressed. The location is ideal: a short walk to the mass transit station, Lumpini Park and the U.S. Embassy. The rooms are large and well appointed for business communications. On the 8th floor there is a long swimming pool that is ideal for laps as well as a fully equipped gym. I had dinner at Eve Restaurant with friends - formal French fare that is guaranteed to impress your guests. From the coffee shop off the lobby to the hotel staff and the restaurant, service was exceptionally friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We stayed at the Hansar twice in 2 weeks (2 nights at the start of our Thailand Trip and the end).

The hotel is relatively new and taxi drivers are still unaware of where it is (simply tell tthem its next to the 4 seasons and opposite the Royal Bangkok Sports Club / Golf Course).

The Hotel is fab!! It's modern and stylish - great staff - top quality room with flat screen tele's, complimentry mini bar, stunning bathrooms and great beds!!
They also have an amazing outdoor pool and gym facility on the 8th floor - perfect way to spend a few hours in the midday heat or towards the early evening.

Great breakfasts too with a wide range of choice and beautifully presented.

All in all, top hotel!!

Israel
Reviewed 21 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Hansar for 3 nights. I was not looking forward to being in Bangkok, having been told by several people that it is a dump. The minute we walked into our room in the Hansar I knew it was going to be fine - we had found an oasis of calm and tranquility within the noisy city. The hotel is new, modern and beautiful. The suites are large and spacious and very well designed. Complimentary minibar that is restocked every day is a surprising and welcome touch. Lovely pool and gym. Beautiful spa and amazing massages which are still on special - 40% off all treatments.The staff are extremely friendly and always ready to help. The location is great - in a quiet street but close the the sky train, providing easy access to all attractions. Great shopping nearby. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Bangkok for business or leisure.

San Francisco
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Great room, pool, gym and staff. Top notch breakfast. Very pleased. Good value at the introductory price. The pool area is spectacular, but was noisy due to all of the construction going on nearby.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo