“Not as great as I read”

Ranked #39 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Edmonton, Canada
“Not as great as I read”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Hotel location is fine rooms are clean but speed is a question mark. Stayed in an Urban suite with our son. Incurred the fee for the extra bed. Not an issue. Getting the bed on day one, took forever. Checked in late afternoon, bed was not set up upon arrival. Called again, told it was coming, waited 2 hrs then went down to check in and asked again. Bed finally showed up at 10:00 pm. I think this hotel is living off the previous ratings of trip advisor and are slipping. Lots of choices in Bangkok in this price point. Very nice staff, contemporary design building. However service is not five star by any means.

Room Tip: Great Location, can walk to malls. Service at pool is brutal. Rooms are very big, clean and modern...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Bub2002

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 May 2012

It has been a year since my last trip to Bangkok and Hansar Bangkok. I stayed three nights and found that the hotel has continued to offer a very high level of service and accommodation. Location is excellent - located off Rachadamri just behind the Four Seasons and St. Regis. Check in was flawless although they did not recognize me as a returning guest. Was escorted to a spacious studio suite with beautiful views overlooking the Royal Bangkok Sports Club. The room was well-furnished and particularly liked the complimentary mini bar and the availability of a small washer/dryer with detergent and fabric softener provided. Beautiful bath and separate shower all in marble - railhead shower was perfect. Breakfast was good with western and Asian selections but not to the level of other 5-Star hotel buffets - but entirely adequate; interesting to hear Christmas music as part of the background musical selection - even though it was April. Dinner at Eve was superb - beautiful presentation and excellent taste; service was among the best I have experienced among the many restaurants around the world. The gym is adequately equipped with complimentary water and towels - there are great views out the floor to ceiling windows while working out. I had business meetings in the hotel business center and lounges and all worked well with adequate meeting spaces always available and drink service too.

All in all a very pleasant experience. My only comments are that the hotel needs to do a better job of recognizing past guests and in their personalized in room communications. Also, while personnel were very good, in a 5-Star hotel one expects to see long-time staff on return visits; it makes one feel more appreciated on return visits; unfortunately, Hansar has some new staff that has not yet forged longer term relationships with return customers. But I am sure that that will come in the future.

Room Tip: The west side rooms with a Royal Bangkok Sports Club view are my preference. I actually prefer thei...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 May 2012

while our first trip to Bangkok, we stayed at Hansar for first 3 nights. They have very sublime service that is not in your face and a big production as the other 5 star hotels around the area or any other hotels around the world. Their service is very simple, elegant and sincere. This service started the moment we arrived at the hotel. Since we were the last guests arriving at the hotel( we checked in around 2am due to the late arrival), they waited for us at the door and greeted us by our last names. They have prepare everything for us knowing we are running late(we sent our flight info ahead of time so they know we are arriving late), so all we have to do was just go straight to the room and get much needed rest from our long flight from NY. Also, as we are a member of SLH, they upgraded us to a suite upon arrival. The suite was well appointed with indoor hanging garden, walk in closet/bathroom and most amazing rain shower. The shower section of bathroom was our favorite. Huge shower area, you can fit 5 people easy! The room also comes with free mini bar, free breakfast, and free wifi. The breakfast was simple but very elegant and well prepared with made to order eggs service. The best part about this hotel was how tranquil the hotel was. This is not a flash or trendy hotel with to be seen crowds hanging by the pool, or filled with package tourists from all over the world dominating pool and breakfast area. Just a simple and elegant hotel with excellent service. This hotel provided us with much needed rest and escape area in the middle of craziness of Bangkok for us. Coming back to the hotel after a long day of touring and sit by the tranquil pool was a pleasure. Also, the location was excellent. one block away from BMT that will take you everywhere. We are looking forward to our future stay and their understated elegance, sublime service and tranquil surrounding. We highly recommend this hotel for anybody who is looking for a peace in the middle of crazy Bangkok.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 May 2012

So, we went through Bangkok to Phuket to Chang Mai and back to Bangkok... This was my last hotel stay in Thailand and *The Best*

We stayed initially at the Marriott which was okay and economical. On our way out I forked out maybe 40 USD more a night and had the best experience to close out the 17 day vacation. I have traveled 5 continents and this truly high class -at least I felt like a million dollars. From the start of my experience in coming through the outrageously large doors to the check in where they upgraded us, I can't say that I was treated nicer anywhere else in Thailand and the locals are well known for their customer service.

The room was clean, the furniture clean. Internet was easy to access there was a gorgeous pool on the rooftop and and nice gym which I did not use. We enjoyed the room so much that we didn't want to leave and see the sites! (I seriously decided against one last tour to rest in luxury.) Room service was fantastic, the restaurant below was okay. The bar served good wines. I have no complaints. -Well maybe one barista but she was just a moody type. At the spa I inquired about design manicures. The attendant replied they don't have those but called her manicurist when I complimented her nails! She made an appointment for me at another establishment. I don't know where else they do this.

if you are on the fence between this hotel and another, I'd say go for the Hansar. Also one last tip. If you are the average, middle class person who is splurging on an exotic trip but are still being mindful of money, check out the hotel website for reservations. -I used Asia Web Direct and hotel.com but the hotel had a deal for free cocktails during happy hour. It was the best deal and we had our money's worth. Depending on when you go they also have spa inclusions.

And the food... I think the breakfast spread was fantastic. Eggs made to order, a wide variety of foods for those of European or Asian decent, real cappuccino..Go early and make an experience of it.

Room Tip: Do they even have bad rooms?!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuzeeDee_11
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I have booked hansar because of the room design seen online and the pictures speak for itself. Modern, spacious, clean and fully equipped with complimentary mini bar, bathroom facilities - love it! I really like that they provide us mid sized toothpaste, at least four bottles of mineral water, phone that is also a docking station, powerful hair dryer, two basins, nice lays chips, cool design of the room access cards, friendly gym staff and pool design (but lack of privacy as facing condo and unable to get the tan u like due to the location and too many trees?).

As usual, I would like to list the things too rave about.

1. Always ready to serve - especially concierge
2. Walking distance to centralworld
3. Lovely breakfast(tho limited choices) but they provide egg white omelette only which is such a thoughtful gesture
4. If you are departing on an early flight like me, I managed to have my breakfast ordered and delivered to my room at 545am, nice gesture once again
5. Toiletries smell good
6. Room service prompt and delicious

Lastly, some feedback for improvement

1. The toaster at the buffet line doesn't seem to work well. Knob at 3 and 10 caused the bread to be burnt, staff were crowding me and caused a commotion, I was quite embarrassed. Staff didn't know what went wrong and one of the guy, that looks like the chief in charge of the buffet line used his bare hands to prepare another toast for me! Well, I would prefer he uses the tong. This guy also lacks a friendly expression and is always staring at customers when we get our food at the buffet line, we don't like being stared!

2. I made the booking via booking.com (1st night) and hotels.com for the remaining two nights. However, during my stay, hansar only acknowledged my stay for one night. This means I was not given daily replenishment of mini bar and room service was done once only. That was fine after I clarified with the receptionist

3. Their cafe has a promo of 50% off cakes after 630pm but sad to say their cakes are not appealing at all. It was disappointing.

4. Everything was almost perfect seriously til we checked out at 645am. I was told to settle my payment of two nights as the Recept explained that booking.com payment made but not for hotels.com. I then showed them the confirmation slip from hotels.com that payment was made but still, hansar claimed that their system does not reflect and once again repeated that as I extended my stay, no payment was received (it was not a case of extension, not a last min decision). I merely booked via two diff agencies. As we didn't want to be caught in the morning traffic, I told them to check with hotels.com and let us leave soon. to date, I did not receive any emails from hansar but I checked with hotels.com and they confirmed that I have already made the payment. Hence, hansar should not charge me again. Tho this episode may not be hansar's fault but the service touch point at the very last day simply just ruins the beautiful experience that we had throughout our stay. I hope this could be investigated and no such service lapse to be made for future customers.

I am confident that hansar can bring happiness to customers. I will still recommend hansar to whoever is particular about modern design rooms and service! Good luck!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

The Hansar is a fabulous hotel in an excellent location, ideal as a base for sightseeing, shopping, night life and onwards travel. The rooms are very comfortable, large, and furnished to a high standard. The breakfast spread was slightly limited but there was enough variety for our short stay and you can order eggs done any way you like from the menu.

My only minor criticism is that one of the reasons I selected this hotel was because it is a member of SLH, but it most certainly is not 'small'... we were on the 15th floor and weren't even half way up!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrR0bin
San Francisco
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed at the Hansar Boutique Hotel during our stay in Bangkok. Prior to leaving home I requested a driver/ car to pick us up at the airport as we were arriving at 11:00 pm at night and did not want to fumble about in an unfamiliar country after a 17 hour flight. We are so glad we did that! The hotel's service started at the gate with a sign and a friendly greeting. We were escorted out to the curb into a waiting air conditioned BMW. There was ice cold water, wet refreshing face cloths and an iPad waiting for us! As we checked our emails from home, the driver sped through Bangkok to our hotel. When we arrived the front desk staff had been informed of our arrival and we were whisked away to our room where we were checked in. Fabulous first rate service! Being exhausted we took a quick shower in the fully glassed in shower (the bathrooms were absolutely beautiful!) and fell into the lush, down covered beds. Not fully appreciating at that time, the fact that the majority of the beds in Thailand are as hard as plywood, (I'm not kidding, even at the Marriott the beds are as hard has rock!) we slept soundly in the quiet, clean room.
Breakfast in the morning was downstairs in the hotel restaurant and the service again was first rate. Plenty of Thai, Chinese, Western food with the best coffee ever! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hansar and would definitely recommend to anyone!
Just steps from the BTS station and the Erawan shrine is around the corner.

Room Tip: No bad room! Just ask to be away from the elevators. All rooms are entered via an outdoor, covered...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple