“Tough to beat”

Ranked #44 of 861 Hotels in Bangkok
San Francisco, California
“Tough to beat”
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I've stayed in 3 hotels in Bangkok all rated in the top 15 on Tripadvisor and this was my favorite. Great location close to the BTS, spacious and comfortable rooms with a modern decor that I appreciate and a great breakfast spread. The outdoor pool was a nice place to relax and cool off in the hot afternoon heat. Staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Anthony Q

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 4 February 2013

11/2012 - After driving past the Grand Hyatt, St Regis and Four Seasons in Bangkok, we saw a mini sign that says Hansar Hotel with an arrow pointing down an alley way. That was our destination. The location of the hotel was near well known American hotels, the mall and sky train. The highly rated hotel had a modern decor - very nice and swanky. The staff was friendly and took us and our bags up to our room. The room were newer and clean. We even got a free mini bar! The bath tub in the room was AMAZING - and I wish I had brought bath salts. Many friends who have been to Bangkok complained about the local area - and due to the large high end mall, 3 mins away and the main American hotels close by the police patrol the area frequently and it was a very safe/clean area. I a a big fan of higher end hotels and I would pick this hotel over any of the others close by. The price, accommodation and service are all 5 stars. For more information on my stay here please see my blog post goshrooney.blogspot.com.

I would def stay here again and once you stay here you will see why it is highly rated.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

We chose an Edge Suite and it is gorgeous! Bangkok is so hectic but coming back to the serenity of our room really recharges the batteries. Breakfast is imaginative and surreal- from sweet & sour fish to eggs benedict! The hotel room is so well stocked it even has a stapler and a hole punch! Don't get too excited about the free mini bar- there is no champagne in it! (Just soft drinks and beer). We have eaten, swum, slept and drank here...and so far it has been faultless...we will be back!

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TrevDrew
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I've been to Bangkok many times and have mostly stayed in the Sukhumvit area so felt like a change and booked the Hansar - got a good deal with Travelzoo and I'm sooo glad we did. I loved the location - it couldn't be any better for shopping and getting around - a 20 second walk to the Sky Train but we walked to most places which is a first! We got upgraded to an urban suite and I loved the room - big with a separate living area and desk, bathroom was fantastic too - best ever shower! Although with all the glass separating the bathroom you wouldn't want to be sharing with someone you didn't know! It has a 'living wall' of greenery which was very appealing. It's also a very 'green' hotel in other ways - when you leave your room the corridors are open-air so they don't waste aircon cooling these areas - I really liked that. Our extra rollaway bed was all set up for us when we arrived which is more than I can say for the rest of the hotels we stayed at - we always had trouble with it but not here.

Loved the pool area, did laps up and down the spacious pool and even had a bit of a sunbathe. We ate twice at Cafe Boca and loved it - excellent food and good service. Breakfasts were also good and you can order off the menu as well as a well stocked breakfast buffet. I had the pancakes and eggs benedict and both were very good. We had to leave very early and glad to say checkout was seamless and they had breakfast boxes ready for us at 5am! I'm definitely staying here next time I'm in Bangkok - can't wait!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah453
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Excellent location. Close to more shopping than anyone needs. As well the Sky train station is a 3 min walk to access the City. Plenty of dining 5 min walk. We stayed in the residence side so I can't comment on the room.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Without question the most well equipped, very modern hotel I have ever had the pleasure to stay in, the little touches say it all, no wifi password needed, chocs at bedtime, the best bed I have slept in, feels like the place is empty, but I am sure it's full, cooled saltwater pool, brand new gym, great floor to ceiling views over the city and the golf course from your bed... Washer / dryer, free mini bar, £20 free credit in the hotel,,, do I need to keep on going, because I have only started.... Oh should also mention you can't get a better location, central and right of the skytrain....

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I stayed for three nights in January traveling alone. I was upgraded to an Edge suite, as other reviews have noticed. I think the hotel is of the mindset that it wants customers in its biggest/best rooms. Though the room was well furnished and modern, it was however a little worn (mainly scuffed wood and other surfaces). Nothing that would make me not stay there - but I feel the pressure of the high TA rating to perhaps look for more. Other comments:
-Desk staff was helpful and polite, but did not always get what I was trying to communicate. Their English is good, but there were a couple lost in translation moments: one, trying to call down to get hand soap; second, trying to find a good place to eat late (checked in around 930 - best the front desk could tell me was a skytrain stop). That said, the shift manager the next day I think recognized my frustration and spent extra effort with me.
- Pool and exercise room are nice
- The location was good, a block from the very easy Bangkok skytrain.
- Breakfast was decent, not great, the bar was nearly empty each night I was there (Friday - Monday).
-The Edge suite was huge. I would also echo what others have said - the bathroom is open to the rest of the room with only glass walls for the shower and the loo. Pick your roommate accordingly!

Nothing that I was disappointed with, and the value is I think quite good - but just not a wow experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo