“Don't stay here if you look for luxury stay!”

Hansar Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #43 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel a few times, beginning 2011 when it was fairly new. I really liked the hotel at the beginning as an alternative to some of the 5 star hotels in Bangkok. I liked the modern design, especially the shower and the bath tub. However, my most recent stay in June this year left me wondering about the future of this hotel.

The rooms looks a little dated now, with old, warped carpet in some places, the cabinet doors don't fit well anymore and the shower was a bit stinky (not sure of what). The rooms are not very sound proof and one can hear the people on the corridor.

The service was not really on a luxury level anymore: the staff (with the exception of the concierge staff) were fairly unfriendly. When I checked in and I had to look for my passport an extra 10 seconds, I was led away from the check-in desk (there were no other people). There were some small extra charges that were applied that I thought were unfair. My polite comments that these charges are unjustified were rather impolitely rejected. Some of the items in the room and the bathroom were not replaced by the house service staff.

Compared to a proper luxury hotel, the Hansar has a sad bar. There was a good band, but essentially no customers. One evening the TV was turned on for a sports event (not exactly my idea of a Jazz bar environment). The breakfast buffet features cheeses that are left in the open for too long. That looks like a serious health hazard, and raises questions about the training of the staff.

Another thing I didn't notice at first is that some of the rooms have a really bad layout, and get very little natural light. On my last visit, the internet connection was spotty and broke down at times. Upon check-out, the hotel admin program did not work and I had to wait for a while. On the last day about 90 minutes before check-out time, the house staff camped in front of my room waiting for me to leave (?).

Another problem this hotel has is that it's a dark alley, and I am yet to find a taxi driver who knows the location of this hotel. One morning I needed a taxi early in the morning, and ordered it the night before. When I arrived in the morning, the taxi had to be fetched from the main throughway and a non-metered fare had to be accepted (in the absence of any other taxis there was no choice). No surprise that the discussion about a tip started as soon as we pulled out of the hotel driveway - very unpleasant experience. It's the first time I have encountered this problem in a hotel in SE Asia that targets the luxury clientele.

On one of the my stays, noise from a party emerges at about 23:00 from the neighboring room. Since I had to get up early the next day, I called the reception and asked that noise be stopped. A long discussion followed, with offers that I could move to another room etc etc, because the party "had just ordered food". Only when I told them that I would call the police if the noise does not stop, were the people moved to some other location. Luxury boutique hotel?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
10  Thank anglosuisse
Hansar-Hotel-Resorts, Director of Sales at Hansar Bangkok Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate for your time taken to write this review, but we are truly concerned on your response period of time which took almost three months to forward this review to us.

All your constructive comments have been taken into serious consideration to our various faculties of management team to review in gross detail of your unpleasant testimonial that has been of bitterness.

Having only 94 rooms with 5 room types, we are dismayed to understand your checkout that took 90 minutes, which is absolutely not been our standard at all.

Again we must state that our staff has been very amicable, proactive to meet and greet all of our guests at all times. Since they have been specially disciplined and trained to carryout our mission statement - HANSA (to be in the moment of happiness) which is the epitome to reach out to all our guests.

The large TV screen at the Rouge bar was placed there during the World Cup FIFA football matches on guest demand that were the highlights during that period, when you stayed with us as our guest and not merely a coincidence to have this along with the jazz band.

We always contrive to keep the produces offered to all our guests at its maximum freshness.

There are always rooms for guests who prefer daylight to those who like it dim lit. On request we can provide each type of room to suit individual preference.

Again we look forward to any other clarifications or constructive suggestions you may want to bring forth to the under signed.

With gratitude,

Christopher Bohwongprasert (Mr.)
Director of Sales and Marketing
christopher@hansarbangkok.com

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Hansard is sterile. I mean this in a good way. It is a clean, boring, quiet hotel that is located on a side street. While many would find such properties in a hotel defeating the purpose of coming to Bangkok, it is a good option for the businessman who is in town for a short period of time. For everyone else, this hotel is not for you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank towelcarrier
Hansar-Hotel-Resorts, Director of Sales at Hansar Bangkok Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your time taken to write this review and stay at the Hansar Bangkok.
Indeed we are sad to learn that you found our property sterile and not the way you had anticipated it to be.

Please write to me in particular what were your expectations during your stay with us and will take it to the next level with our staff to make your next stay with us more enjoyable.

in the mean while do avail of our special offers on our website for both promotions and packages that are made for you only.

Happy holidays,

Christopher Bohwongprasert (Mr.)
Director of Sales and Marketing
christopher@hansarbangkok.com

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We absolutely loved this hotel! I knew that our dollars would go a lot further in Thailand but boy, I had no idea how far. This hotel is much more reasonable than an American or European Ritz or Four Seasons and the service is just as good if not much better! Free mini bar, gorgeous rooms/bathrooms, attentive staff and an absolutely superb breakfast!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have stayed in several hotels in Bangkok from all the name brands and this boutique hotel is by far the best. We now stay here every time we stop over in Bangkok. The rooms are all large (we have tried the Edge suite when we are there with our children as there is room for them as well with the room broken into two, and the studio suite when we are there by ourselves which is surprisingly roomy). The staff are lovely and very personable and helpful. The location is fantastic as it is right near the metro and the shopping is walking distance. Lots of nice restaurants within walking distance and even close to Bunrumgrad hospital if you are going there for any medical work! Happy hour in the bar is a good deal and nice to sit out at nighttime. The beds are really comfortable and the bathrooms very spacious with two sinks and a bathtub and modern. The only thing that is not perfect is the breakfast which is OK but not amazing. The hotel still looks brand new and the decor is very nice. All in all it is good value for money given the location (sits between the Four Seasons and the St Regis).

Room Tip: Edge rooms are good if you have kids with you (day bed can be used for their bed).
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were offered free suite upgrade from studio suite and we were very happy with staying at Hansar for two nights. It is located in city centre and close to shopping centre, bus stops and train station. We still remember the taste of free chocolate platter and greeting card as we were newlyweds!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at this lovely boutique hotel on a one day stopover before heading out to the islands and had a thoroughly lovely experience. The staff and setting could not have been more agreeable after a long-haul flight and we were only sorry that we didm;t have more time to enjoy the hotel and use it as a base to explore the city.

Although it is - as others have said - at most ten minutes walk from the bustle of Siam Square, it is an absolute oasis of quiet calm and serenity.

The room we had was very large and beautifully furnished in dark wood, with an unusual aspect onto greenery which is a constant theme of the hotel. The bed in particular was enormous and enormously comfortable, to the extent that we found ourselves taking an unplanned power nap on arrival.

In the short time we hugely enjoyed using the lovely infinity pool which runs down one side of the hotel, and enjoyed excellent cocktails from the quiet poolside bar.

I couldn't recommend the Hansar highly enough.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Absolutely perfect boutique hotel located in the heart of the city. Modern design, wonderful staff and attention to detail make the Hansar an ideal spot for an extended stay. "Oh" and valet staff were incredibly helpful and welcoming (Oh even escorted me down the block to find an ATM in a pinch). Also loved the mid-city infinity pool and the gym and spa were both top rate.

Rooms: absolutely huge with terrific, modern shower and separate tub to go along with a desk and office set-up and every little convenience you'd expect. A free "mini-bar" of sorts tops off a damn near complete kitchen along with washer and dyer.

Enjoyed (and looked forward to) breakfast every day at the hotel where we enjoyed local and international fare in a beautiful space adored with Orchids.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business