“So close - check out ur map and walk it!!”
Review of Khaosan Baan Thai

Khaosan Baan Thai
Ranked #225 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Brisbane, Australia
“So close - check out ur map and walk it!!”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

One of the cutest places I've stayed at. Never have I had service like this. No wonder they have won awards. The quaint foyer and dining area is set out for travelers to meet, eat, relax or use free Internet. Free breakfast is served before you sit down!!! My room was tiny and was not big enough for 2 people - my only complaint. Maybe I was given this room as I am a solo traveller. First time using share bathroom - so clean and no waiting even tho place was booked out. Save disappointment and pre-book. I saw a few disappointed travellers turned away (with a list of suggestions of where to go). Owner asked what my travel plans were as I was eating breakfast. When I had finished, he had a list of travel options and a map of where to go and also have some useful advice. What a remarkable place :)

• Stayed April 2012
7 Thank Lyn,Australia

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I (40 yrs old) stayed here in early April and loved it. Very clean, the aircon room was a haven from the heat, the firm clean mattresses were magical after long flights and walks. The rooms were spotless as were the communal bathrooms.

The manager is exceptionally friendly and she has a full list of bus and train timetables etc available. She epitomises the friendly Thai land of smiles. She's an absolute honey. Its a 5 minute walk to the river taxi and about a B50 tuk-tuk to Khaosan Road. There is free internet and wifi for guests.

The previous reviews sum up the style perfectly: a small basic intimate guesthouse which definitely isn't a hotel (no pool, bedroom TV etc) but if you aren't a prima donna and simply require a good clean comfortable spot for a few nights, this place is perfect.

Highly recommended. We paid B700 per night for the double room with aircon and breakfast.

Room Tip: The double room with aircon at the top of the stairs is the bomb. Big, spacious and oh so fresh...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Philip B
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed here at the beginning of our trip around Southeast Asia and what a great start it was. We paid for the aircon room, which was well worth it in the February heat.
The price included free wi-fi and breakfast (with happy faces baked on to the toast!). So all up, great value. The bathrooms are shared, but were always clean and as it is not a large place, there are only a small number of guests sharing them.

The staff were exceptionally helpful, we were sent to a bus stop around the corner with written directions in English and Thai to ensure that we successfully arrived at Chatuchak market with minimal effort. They were friendly and welcoming and knowledgeable about local sights and activities.

Khaosan Baan Thai is a little hard to find if you don't know what you are looking for, we arrived by Tuktuk (From the nearest Skytrain station) and the driver had to ask around a bit once we got to Samsen Soi 3, it is tucked behind another guest house. Although it turns out that there are plenty of signs if you are looking for them!

The location is great, down a quiet street, but still close to plenty of interesting destinations. It is within walking distance of (among other things) the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Khaosan Road, and several river taxi stops, so that you can quickly travel up and down the river, go on a canal tour or make your way across the river to Wat Arun.

The only downside about the location is that the area is not linked to the Skytrain, so you will have to take another form of transport to link to Bangkok's efficient Skytrain/underground train system if you want to go further afield.

When we were there it was quiet at night and we had a great night's sleep, but the rooms are not very soundproof, so if you were unlucky enough to have noisy neighbours, you may not sleep quite as well.

All up, a friendly, welcoming and relaxing place to stay, thanks guys!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CraftyBadger
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Please ,I ll love to book it but there is no link!!!how should I do?
Thanks!!x

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Melinda1985
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed here with one other traveller about 4 times during my time travelling south east asia last year, and I loved it every time. Don't get me wrong, it's not a 5* hotel and not the usual place I stay in but for the price and the location it was wonderful. The staff are amazing, so friendly and helpful and will go completely out of their way for you. The rooms are basic but very clean, and the bathrooms are shared (first time in my life I've ever done this!) but they were always spotless. There was no aircon in the standard rooms but the fans were powerful enough, on one trip we stayed in the big aircon room which was a treat. Breakfast is nice, bottled water is provided in the rooms etc. We booked our trips with the hotel as well as after travelling around Bangkok pricing things up, our hotel offered the best price and the best advice, and we trusted them completely. They also booked our train tickets and told us how to get about, where to go. All in all, it was my home away from home!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are the same unless you want to pay more for air con, sometimes it's worth it!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nixxypies
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Tucked at the end of a quiet soi, Khaosan Baan is a fantastic family-run retreat from the noise and bustle of Bangkok. We spent a total of 4 nights here and would have stayed longer if there was space available. We spent the first two nights in the superior double with A/C and second 2 nights in the double with fan. Strictly from a price perspective I would say its mid-range for the neighbourhood but when you factor in the extremely warm service, knowledgeable staff who go out of their way for their guests, super fast free wi-fi in every room, quiet (by Bangkok standards) environment, a feeling of security, and free basic American-style breakfast, I would say its an excellent value for the money, especially in Bangkok. The hostel is only a 10-15 minute walk from Khaosan Rd but there are sooo many better places around the area which are closer (unless you're strictly looking for the blunt-force mardi-gras atmosphere) if you're willing to take the time to explore the neighbourhood. Even though there are quite a few narrow roads and alleys we always felt safe and there seems to be people (and vehicles) around constantly. If I had to find any fault with my stay to offer a balanced perspective I could only voice a squeak of complaint that our pillows were a little too firm and thick in the first room and the mattress in the double with the fan was a little on the thin-side. If you're sleeping with the windows open you can expect to hear extra noise though the fan drowns most of it out.

I highly recommend Khaosan Baan Thai, just remember its a good-valued guesthouse not an inexpensive hotel, there is a difference and those looking for the later may be more comfortable in an actual hotel.

A couple of tips. Khoasan Road is 10-15 minutes away, walk it, its safer and cheaper. Wat Phra Keaw (and the Grand Palace) is 25 minutes, Wat Pho 30-35 minutes, and Wat Arun is right across the ferry between Wat Phra Keaw and Wat Pho. If you want to save yourself a lot of money walk, its not far and its safe. Other than that metered taxis are the best bet (make sure they use the meter and don't ride one that won't). Try to avoid tuk tuks, you will always pay way more than you should and probably get dragged off to one of their commissioned stores or tour agencies. If you do decide to tuk-tuk it negotiate based on 1/4 of what is offered settle on a price you're happy with, don't let them take you anywhere else, and enjoy your ride. Metered taxis are always the best way to go, but only use one that has a working meter and make sure the cab driver knows where they're going!

Cheers and happy travels!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank coconutfarmer
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We had the biggest room and it was very nice with big window and clean. Bathroom was next door and also clean, we shared it with 2 other rooms.
Location is quiet in a small street, in walking distance (10 minutes) to Khaosan Road.
Friendly and helpful stuff!
The room was not cheap but overall a nice guesthouse with nice anbience!

• Stayed December 2011