“100% recommended”
Review of Khaosan Baan Thai

Khaosan Baan Thai
Ranked #278 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 22 September 2013

On my first visit to Bangkok I stayed at Khaosan Baan Thai for two night in a private double room with aircon and I would say that I don't regret it at all. Since before I did my reservation the staff was really helpful; they sent an email with the address from both airports in english and thai in case you need to show the taxi driver one week before my arrival. They were really hospitable during my stay and they even arranged my transportation to the airport on my departure day for a really good price. The location is perfect for everything...if you would like to take a look at the most popular temples you just need to go to the pier around 10 mins walking from the hostel and take the boat; if you would like to do some shopping then you have the Khaosan Road 10 mins walking too and some other street markets around the area. For restaurants you will have plenty of options close enough and the breakfast included has nothing else to ask for. Rooms really clean, bathrooms as well. Shared toilets and shower but I never had to wait, even when the hostel was fully booked. Whatever you need the staff will be more than happy to help you and always with a smile. A really important plus for mosts travellers is the Wifi which you can have for free in your room or any common area. Definitely worth it for what you pay and 100% recommended for any young or adventurous traveller.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah D

Reviewed 14 September 2013

3 night stay. First visit to Bangkok - ideal location 10 minutes walk from Khaosan Road so easy access but you can escape from the noise! Walking distance/short tuk tuk ride from most sights.Down a small alley - very difficult to find initially especially when taxi drivers just hear the khaosan part at the beginning and ignore everything else you say but once you know where it is, feels safe and no concerns walking down the alley at night. Stayed in private double with aircon. Clean. No problems with security. Mattresses directly on the floor but not a problem. Shared bathrooms - always clean, hot water, powerful showers, never had to wait to use a shower. Good breakfast included in price. Very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Some noise in all rooms as traditional wooden building.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed here during a quick trip to Bangkok for a visa run. I wanted somewhere that was a bit away from the backpacker madness of Khaosan Road, but still close to the sites. This place really fit the bill, It is down a quiet alley, but is a ten minute walk through the best food stalls ever to where all the action is.
The room was basic, and mine was on the second floor, so I was a bit of a trip to the bathroom, but it really wasn't that big of a deal. The air conditioning worked well, it came with a big duvet and comfy pillows.
The staff is definitely the selling point of this place though. They were so incredibly nice, and helpful. On my first day, I wanted to go to the Vietnamese embassy to get my paperwork done, and they found it on the map, gave me lots of advice about how to get there and even looked up the hours for me.
The absolute only warning I have about this guest house is that if you are there for rest and relaxation, it can be a bit of a crap shoot, bring earplugs. The place is really, really not soundproof, and from my room, I could clearly hear all conversations happening in the courtyard below, as well as doors closing etc. I brought earplugs so it wasn't a big deal, I slept well. But if you are looking for a place to party, find somewhere else, let the peaceful quiet people have this place. :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank susanr0se
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My first visit to Bangkok and I wasn't disappointed, the delightful little guest house was so charming and the staff so helpful that I'm planning to o back next year and I won't hesitate to go back to Khaosan baan Thai,
They even sent me details of the address in Thai so I could show it to the taxi driver which came in very helpful.
The tours are very good both in price and value, a bargain

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Shirley H
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We arrived at this guesthouse after a long flight from Melbourne to Bangkok and were immediately taken by the calm green oasis in busy hot Bangkok. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, the rooms are simple and clean with personal touches such as cute hand drawn paintings on the wall. You get a free breakfast to start the day, and all for a very reasonable price. The location is a 10-15 minute walk away from KhaoSan road, so it's not in the midst of the buzz of that area, but for us that was a good thing. The staff helped us organise transport to Koh Tao, helped us try and track down a lost kindle, and we were so impressed by the place that we stayed there again on our return to Bangkok.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nicky R
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Twelfth visit to Bangkok and disappointingly always ended up in overpriced, dirty, noisy guest houses. Finally found a super cute oasis in the city. The staff are second to none - emailing you a week before your arrival with helpful guidance on getting there from the airport. Smiles all round when you arrive. Very quiet back street, but with lights so you don't feel unsafe. Free high speed wifi. Nice breakfast included (double check on booking). The bedrooms are the cleanest I've stayed in, with... wait for it... crispy clean duvets to keep you warm if you have air con! Without meaning to sound pretentious, it attracts 'nice' guests too... no barfing buckets on your doorstep at 3.00am...

You may be looking for cheaper (I paid around 600-700 for a delux room with air con) but at least here you get what you pay for - it's so worth it. 'Due to the old structure of the building the rooms don't contain their own bathrooms' but this is no problem - there are many showers and toilets and they are VERY clean! There are washing machines and I think a tumble drier too.

Ten min walk from Khaosan road - close enough to poke your nose around the fried scorpions and braided farang, far enough away to get some good shut-eye.

Room Tip: Downstairs back left room was quiet, spacious, and with only one neighbouring room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Laura F
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Been using Suvarnabhumi Int'l Airport to fly in and out of Asia and everytime, I'm in Bangkok, Khaosan Baan Thai is always my first choice :)

They offer clean rooms, shuttles to and from major destinations around the city, breakfast, all while making you feel at home.

It's located really close to the river, and about two blocks from a boat port where you can ride the public boats up and down to see the city. It's also just a 20-minute walk to the Grand Palace and about 10 to Khao San Road if you're interested.

I highly recommend Khaosan Baan Thai to those backpacking through Bangkok with a relatively tight budget.

• Stayed: April 2013