“NOT an airport hotel, as advertised”

The Grand Fourwings Convention Hotel
Ranked #198 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
San Francisco, California, United States
“NOT an airport hotel, as advertised”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked this hotel based on a search through Agoda. It stated that it was an airport hotel, near BKK airport, and even the hotel's website stated that it was "easy access" to the airport. Since we are semi new to Bangkok, and using this hotel as a quick night's sleep before we return to the airport early in the morning, we didn't realize how much INSANE TRAFFIC there would be from the airport to the hotel. It is NOT convenient if you are arriving near rush hours, which in turn does not make the a convient hotel for the airport. A 10k taxi ride took 1 1/2 hours in stop and go traffic. When we expressed our frustration to the hotel's assistant manager, she was not very helpful and claimed that the hotel is not an airport hotel. However, she started to change her tune when we showed her thir website, where it states that it is an airport hotel. In the end, they did give a small discount for dinner (since we couldn't leave with all of the traffic). Final word: do not stay here if you need to travel to or from the airport during rush hour. (Our taxi driver said that it would have been faster to go all the way into Bangkok than stay at this place.)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Whitney M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
South Africa
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We landed in bangkok close to midnight and were flying out to phuket the next morning. Hotel location was convenient. Staff were courteous and check in was a breeze. Family holiday so we had interconnecting rooms. Rooms were spacious with a lounger n lcd tv, bathrooms were quite nice equipped with hairdryer, shampoo, toothbrushes,etc. We ordered pizza n sandwiches from room service - everything was yummy. Breakfast was a nice spread with your pastries,cheeses,noodles,omelettes etc.
I would recommend staying at this hotel as a quick stopover or even a short hols.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Zara-SA
Kerteh, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Last week when I planning my logistics for my business trip to Bangkok, I was targeting the top hotel brand names to book. But they were all located in the main Bangkok city which was really far from my place of work in the industrial area of Bangkla. Friends advised me to stay on Bangkok's outskirts to avoid city traffic. Then I came across this hotel on the internet and took a chance by advance booking it, looking at the nearly 25 KM travel into the city that I was going to avoid. Moreover, this hotel is only 20 minutes drive from the Suvarnabhumi airport, so I was not going to russh through the traffic after check-out to catch my flight. I was unsure about what to expect on arrival, walking into an unknown hotel. But right from the airport where I was picked up by the hotel staff, to the day I checked out after staying for 4 days, everything was very nice and pleasant. I realized that this hotel was not only good, it was quite popular amongst the Chinese and other ASAEAN tourists. That's because every morning when I came down to the lobby, I saw large gatherings of tourists flocking the lobby, waiting to be ushered to their sight-seeing buses. My Deluxe room was spacious, clean and had all amenities that a business traveler would need. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Bangkok and wanting to stay near Suvarnabhumi airport and still within 30 minutes from Bangkok city.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 June 2013

The hotel is a nice new hotel with spacious rooms and good amenities, however its a good 15 minute walk to the airport link which is the nearest train station. The hotel is about 15 minutes from Suvarnabhumi airport making it convenient to frequent travellers. Breakfast spread is average but once you stay past 5 days it gets boring. Buffett dinners are average only and I would rather have dinner outside of the hotel. Internet connection was very good and especially liked that they had a radio with a iPod/iphone dock which allowed me to play my music and podcasts. There were some days where there were a lot of tourists making teh lobby rather crowded.

Room Tip: Choose a non smoking floor as the smoking floors are quite smelly and smoky
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ming L
Hamburg
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Good Hotel / Room for overnight stay - close to the Airport, less than 20 min drive, free Bus shuttle on the hour - pls advise reception in advance. verry good value as the rooms are verry good in any way, as you would expected. I missed an outdoor restaurant, all is within the Hotel & aircon of course. Apart from that a good Hotel.

Room Tip: Deluxe if you like space
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MisterOzzo
Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Germany
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This was the fourth time I stayed at the Grand Fourwings already. This time it was with the family during a stopover between flying in and out from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport. Since I have been there before I knew what to expect. In the area around the hotel there is nothing really worth to visit but that was not why we came. It might be also difficult to get a taxi there especially in the evening.

Check-in around 21:00 was quick and efficient, the room big and clean (I like the wooden floor). We spend some time at the bar , which I usually experienced quite empty but not that evening. Enjoyed some drinks since they offered 2 for 1. The breakfast was fresh and the variety completely satisfying. Since we had breakfast quite late, the breakfast area was not so crowded as usual. Enjoyed the great and clean pool on the 10th floor for some time afterwards. Amazingly no other guest was there.

Good points: relative proximity to the airport, big nice and clean rooms, breakfast has a good choice and was fresh, the pool is absolutely worth a visit (but be aware of it's limited opening hours), complematary internet and airport shuttle (20min). Beside that it should be noted that the hotel is a tour group hotel. Hence it can be quite busy e.g. during breakfast etc. in some periods.

Overall we enjoyed the stay very much!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank matraaxel
Mentor
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Stayed here recently because it was close to work and airport. However, it is an hour (in traffic) to get to the downtown area where the temples are.

Everything was very clean and I enjoyed that the floors were made of wood rather than the worn or dirty carpet you often get in hotels. My room was spacious and I had plenty of space to stretch out.

Since this is a 'convention' hotel, I am not sure why there is no phone on the desk. It was a bit awkward to join conference calls from the bed, but that is the only place I could use the phone. I did like that the phone had "speaker phone" functionality. You don't always get that.

The clock in the room was wrong, but I had no way to fix it to the right time.

I also heard complaints from co-workers that they could only log-on to the internet with one device at a time, so if you are a multi-tasker and need the laptop and iPhone going at once, you'll have to chose one of those devices and when done, switch over to the other.

The restaurant was good. They have different themed buffets several times a week or you can order off the menu. They have been featuring a chocolate fondue fountain which is very unique. I had the Australian beef tenderloin one night (from the menu) and it was perfectly done and delicious (beef in this part of the world is not often an option, let alone done right!). I also had fish and chips one evening, but it was cut up in thin slices. Not what I expected, but it was actually very good.

The breakfast buffet will have something for every ethnicity. I was hoping for more variety in fruit offered, but they did have the basic watermelon, pineapple, papaya. The orange juice did not taste like fresh squeezed. More like orange "drink."

There are artificial flowers in the lobby and I thought that they could have some fresh orchids featured since even the airport has them everywhere and they are real.

There is no spa on premesis, but they will direct you to one that is only "so-so" in the building behind (and easy walk through the back door and across the parking lot).

Overall, it was good for a business stay, but if you want to have more options, you should stay elsewhere. Adequate for getting in, doing your work, and then moving on.

Room Tip: I had a corner room which gave me two views
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business