1,128 results
All reviews ratchathewi bts station platinum mall fried rice tuk tuk indoor pool walking distance street food siam paragon buffet breakfast airport rail link clean hotel high floor main shopping big room shopping area central world bathtub
Reviewed 12 October 2012

After staying at Bangkok City Hotel's little sister, the Bangkok City Suite just down the road for many years we though we would give the new place a try. Mistake! The place is a nightmare. Breakfast is a joke. One toaster, one coffee machine for hundreds of guests, there is not enough seating, we finished up outside on the sidewalk. The staff give off an air of I couldn't care less. The rooms are okay but considering the place is only 2 years old it won't be long before they will need a refurbishment that won't happen. All in all the hotel is okay but do yourself a favour and stay at the smaller, quieter, friendlier City Suite just down the road.

Room Tip: The high rooms have a view, our first room on the 6th floor looked onto a water storage tank
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissyLorna
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We've read very carefully all the reviews in the TripAdvisor before booking this hotel.This helped us to lower a little our expectations, however i must admit that: overall our stay was quite pleasant.
We've found in Bangkok City hotel cozy and clean ( but little small ) modern rooms with great shower and even a little bath ( lights are indeed a little dim which make reading almost impossible)
As far as i can judge the biggest advantage of this hotel is in it's location.
In order to get here from the airport , just use the regular ( not Express - it's more expensive) Airport Train Link which is located on the B1 Floor in the Bangkok airport.
Get off the train at it last station - Phaya Thai Station, from here you can either walk ( ~ 800 meters) or take a taxi which will cost you ~ 40 Baht.
Use the Taxi meter only and don't forget to ask the driver to use the "meter".

Hotel's great location enables you to get to MBK shopping center , Platinum Fashion Mall and Pratunam Market within a very short time ( ~ 20 minutes walk for people who prefer jogging over Taxi ).

I would recommend this hotel to people who's main goal in Bangkok is to stay for few days in order to make shopping and who are not looking for the "extra's" of more luxurious and expensive hotels as "Ramada" "Centara" and so on.....

P.S
Don't forget to ask for the room with window, we had no problem with this , but again - we were there in the low season.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boris G
Reviewed 6 October 2012

It took many calls and emails to get my booking and I really think they should change their booking system. The room are still fairly new and good for seize.

Overal an average experience for an average price.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Fredinasia
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My friend recommended the hotel to me, and I was anticipating good service and a comfortable room.

Making a reservation was more difficult, as I telephone the hotel to book a room. The operator, a pleasant lady had difficulty with my name, which is actually one of the easier names in the English language.

After booking for three nights, I got to the hotel and felt dubious about the comfort, and told them that I would pay night by night. The hotel reception told me that if I did not pay for the three days, that every morning I would have to rebook my room. When I told the lovely receptionist that I needed to confirm the I would have a room for the next night, she was of little help... that is until I asked to see the manager. This prompted a change of heart, and they confirmed my room for the following night.

I have been traveling for the past four days and was happy to learn that they have washing and drying machines. Perfect!!! However, the hotel does not have an iron for the guests to use. TIT This is Thailand.

The bed and pillows are rock solid.... unfortunately, I prefer a little softness in my bed. No jokes about this being Bangkok, ok?

The food is priced correctly, and it is actually real Thai flavor.... TIT....

All in all, I would recommend this for absolute budget minded people, if you want better accommodations, then there are places for a little more that offer 4 star comfort.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Stayed here recently in Sept 2012 with my family. I told them not to expect too much with the price that we're paying since we only need a clean and convenient place to stay for our trip. We were pleasantly surprised that it turned out to be so much better than we hoped for.

We arrived earlier than the stated check-in time; expected to leave our luggages at the luggage storage while we start our shopping and come back later in the afternoon/evening to check-in. However the receptionist checked us in with a pleasant smile. It took a mere 5 minutes; so was check-out.

The complimentary buffet breakfast was adequate; though lacked variety. By the 3rd morning we were bored with the same old, same old. Try to avoid having it during the peak hours; otherwise you may have to stand around a bit to wait for a vacant table. Come after 9am when the crowd starts to thinning off.

They provide free wifi in the room with fair connection but you'll have to get the login id and password at the front desk. The room lights are a bit dim on the romantic side and not conducive for reading. There are no individual table lamps you can switch on.The 6th floor where we stayed even has a laundry area; if you want to do your laundry (don't know the price coz we didn't make use of the facility).

We decided to walk to Platinum Mall; it was a good 20 minutes leisurely walk. Along the way you can get the feel and colour of what Bangkok is all about; at night the streets come alive as the sidestalls eateries and the massage parlours awaits the weary travellers. The hotel is located on the main road; hence getting a taxi is not a problem. A metered taxi to Siam Paragon only costs us THB40; it would cost THB60 for the 4 of us if we were to take the Skytrain from Ratchatewi. Hence if you're travelling in a group it's actually more cost saving to take the taxi rather than the Skytrain.

On the morning of our departure day, we headed off to Ratchatewi BTS; there is a small Naraya shop located in the lobby of Asia Hotel (it's the same hotel which is hosting the night shows whose tickets you can purchase from the travel agent located in City hotel's lobby near the lift) for our last minute shopping. Asia Hotel is located next to the station on the right side if you are coming from the direction of Bangkok City hotel and it is actually connected via a skybridge to the BTS.

Except for the final night when a few inconsiderate travellers where hollering to their friends in the hallway in the middle of the night, overall it was an enjoyable stay and would gladly recommend it.

Room Tip: Make your reservation on the hotel's website; it's slightly cheaper than than their walk in rate and includes complimentary breakfast.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family