“Pleasant stay in a hotel close to the Muslim street of Soi 7 Phetchbhuri”
Review of Bangkok City Hotel

Bangkok City Hotel
Ranked #278 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
seremban
“Pleasant stay in a hotel close to the Muslim street of Soi 7 Phetchbhuri”
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Checked in on the day before Eid Qurban or Hari Raya Aidiladha and I planned to stay near the Masjid Darul Aman area just across this hotel. I was very happy that Khun Khalanya at reservations was on duty and I was promptly given a room on the 18th floor facing the busy but scenic Phetchbhuri road. A speedy check-in and I was happy with the fact that being a regular customer here has it's advantages although being aware of the hotel's positive and negative aspects can work well for both parties.This hotel is mostly fully booked all the time and it all has to do with locality. Even with my preferred airline operating at Don Mueang from 1st October, it was not a big deal but then for 400 bahts, you can travel in a roomy cab from the hotel to either Don Mueang or Suvanarbhumi airport. In my case, just take the BTS to Mo Chit terminal from Ratchathewi BTS Station, get down, take the air-conditioned bus No 29, just say Don Mueng, shell out 16 baht and you drop off in front of the Don Mueang Amari Airport Hotel overhead pedestrian bridge.. simple. I also travelled by van in front of the airport at Vivbhadi Rangsit road for 20 baht which dropped me again at Mo Chit BTS station. Anyway, the wifi worked but then again, if you switched off your device be it an adroid phone, netbook or ipad,tablet.. there will be a problem with reconnecting again so I believe you just let the device run out of battery then the password and login will remain intact. Used my AIS 1-2 Call Wifi dongle so it was not an issue. Now, the breakfast is actually well laid out... you can also use another room just after the toilet on your right which seats about 50 people but then, in a fully booked hotel, I prefer to dine inside and choose the table that has just been vacated, just smile to the waiters, have it cleaned up. The food consists of fried eggs, white rice with side dishes, fried noodles, fried pasta, fried rice, fried yellow mee or kuih teow in Thai, at least 1 type of fruit juice, local cut fruits, a salad corner, wholemeal or white bread, butter,halal chicken sausage ( all chicken produce comes from Saha Farm which is Muslim owned), counted 2 coffee machine, croissant, sweet rolls and even cereal with fresh milk. The lady cook's name is Khun Alisha and yes, she is a Muslim from Bangkok so I was very happy to note that since a few months ago, the menu even though many reviews mentioned as being the same day in and out but for me, the omission of non-halal meat from the menu has been good and the introduction of white rice with vegetarian dishes is also a good move by the management. If one is actually tired of the menu, then cross over to Soi 7, eat your fill, then come back to the lobby by 0900 a.m., enjoy the coffee or hot chocolate from the coffee machine and eat some fruits as it will be a bit less busy then. I can also vouch for Mr Heng who operates Chan Travel Agency right opposite the hotel's lift who hails from Malaysia, wonderful chap, always chat with him whenever I am here. The swimming pool on the 5th floor is not heated but then, it is not that busy so I tend to use it at times. In conclusion, I will always stay here whenever I am in Bangkok as the positive points are more than the negative ones as I know what to do in Bangkok so I need a room near the Muslim area of Soi 7, near to the BTS and away from the pricey places in Pratunam and Sukhumvit. I have always supported this chain of hotels since 2005 and I see no reason to switch to another hotel. Do love the chocolate drink every morning here...

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floor are of course quieter but the view from the rooms in the middle is sup...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank norhisham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

I travelled with my family which included a 1 1/2 yr old.
We arrived in a group of 12. Check in took a bit of time as they got my booking rates wrong. Once that was sorted the check in was quick. The place is new and clean. We got a room with a King Sized bed which was very comfortable. I asked for a room on the higher floors and got one on the 11th Floor.
The rooms were cleaned daily. Fresh towels were given daily as well (5 stars).
The breakfast is the same everyday though it was tasty.
The eight nights spent was super.

The only negative experience I had was the water leak from the ceiling in the bathroom. When we informed them they were ready to give us another room immediately. The leak was sorted though.

Another great thing about this hotel is that the bathrooms have a bathtub. Great way to unwind after a busy day in this super busy city. There are two 7eleven's just around the corner. You can get anything you need there.

The Manager - Joe was very very helpful. Speak to him. He will assist you in any way possible.

TIP - our rooms was room 1117. The view was blocked by the next building. If you want a view ask for rooms with even numbers so that you get a view.

If you can afford an extra THB 100/= a night get the king Sized bed. You won't regret it (bigger bed and bigger room).

Will I stay here again? FOR SURE. Definitely.

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank Mahlon A
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Situated not too far from the city center of Bangkok, this hotel is located not too far from Ratchathewi BTS station and it is less than 10 minute walk, room is adequately maintained. Tidy, clean and bathtub is in the bathroom so you get to enjoy your sweet time taking bath in this hotel, you are being supplied with two drinking water everyday. They do serve breakfast (subject to your room package whether you need to pay extra) Their breakfast taste is okay although the menu didn't differ much from day to day but it give you a decent meal to start your day with. In front of the hotel lift, there is a small table where a mid age lady sit there. She is the travel guide there, where she sell travel packages at a fair price but if you are going on your own it will be cheaper depending on location. Nearby the hotel, there are plenty of shop (7-11) or roadside stall which sell Thai food at night for a good prize and it taste good, go and have a try there.

One extra note: As you walk toward or from Ratchathewi BTS station, pay attention to one of the alley and you will spot a Thai aunt who sell fruit juice with her chicken, that's right! a chicken and what is amazing is that chicken listen to her when she ask the chicken to move and according to her, she raise the chicken when it is still young.

Room Tip: Rooms on the center can avoid direct sunlight
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MaxChin
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I have read many reviews about this hotel previously before proceeding to book the Standard Double Room, which costs about 1190THB nett. I did have reservations about this hotel, especially after reading poor reviews about the service quality etc. However, I'm glad to say that this hotel is a real steal at the price that you are paying for!

The Positive Points:

- Excellent location: 5 minutes walk away from Ratchathewi BTS Station; along the way are many 'clean' massage parlours and great street food stalls. Highly accessible via the Airport Rail Link (must get off at Phaya Thai Station and transfer to the BTS and stop at Ratchathewi). Centralized location; in the heart of Bangkok's greatest shopping havens.

- Clean and Neat Rooms: Since my group of friends and I were out for most of the time, all we looked forward to when we came back late at night was a clean, tidy and cosy room to rest. And for the price that I am paying, SGD$50 for a double-sharing room/night, I couldn't have asked for more.

- Wi-fi worked great for us on the 16th level. It was an additional bonus.

- Check-in was fast and efficient. Without doubt, the staff at the check-in counter had a very poor understanding and command of English, but thank God, everything went smoothly, from issuing of room keys to the payment.

Points of Improvement:

- Breakfast: This has been a huge negative point so far in all the reviews, and yes, I have to agree that it is pretty poor. Very little variety to choose from and it's always the same fare and dishes every morning. The worse part is that the dining lobby is always packed! Oh well, the breakfast is free, what could I expect?

- Shower facilities: Ok, this is a very minor point. But yes, I found this pretty annoying. Perhaps i am staying on a higher level, that's why the water pressure is quite little.

All in all, I really do recommend this hotel to people who are looking for value-for-money accommodation. I am thoroughly impressed with the location and pricing, and I would definitely be back here if I ever pop by Bangkok again. 2 thumbs up:)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank zhengmycar
London
Reviewed 12 October 2012

After staying at Bangkok City Hotel's little sister, the Bangkok City Suite just down the road for many years we though we would give the new place a try. Mistake! The place is a nightmare. Breakfast is a joke. One toaster, one coffee machine for hundreds of guests, there is not enough seating, we finished up outside on the sidewalk. The staff give off an air of I couldn't care less. The rooms are okay but considering the place is only 2 years old it won't be long before they will need a refurbishment that won't happen. All in all the hotel is okay but do yourself a favour and stay at the smaller, quieter, friendlier City Suite just down the road.

Room Tip: The high rooms have a view, our first room on the 6th floor looked onto a water storage tank
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissyLorna
Tel Aviv
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We've read very carefully all the reviews in the TripAdvisor before booking this hotel.This helped us to lower a little our expectations, however i must admit that: overall our stay was quite pleasant.
We've found in Bangkok City hotel cozy and clean ( but little small ) modern rooms with great shower and even a little bath ( lights are indeed a little dim which make reading almost impossible)
As far as i can judge the biggest advantage of this hotel is in it's location.
In order to get here from the airport , just use the regular ( not Express - it's more expensive) Airport Train Link which is located on the B1 Floor in the Bangkok airport.
Get off the train at it last station - Phaya Thai Station, from here you can either walk ( ~ 800 meters) or take a taxi which will cost you ~ 40 Baht.
Use the Taxi meter only and don't forget to ask the driver to use the "meter".

Hotel's great location enables you to get to MBK shopping center , Platinum Fashion Mall and Pratunam Market within a very short time ( ~ 20 minutes walk for people who prefer jogging over Taxi ).

I would recommend this hotel to people who's main goal in Bangkok is to stay for few days in order to make shopping and who are not looking for the "extra's" of more luxurious and expensive hotels as "Ramada" "Centara" and so on.....

P.S
Don't forget to ask for the room with window, we had no problem with this , but again - we were there in the low season.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Boris G
Amsterdam
Reviewed 6 October 2012

It took many calls and emails to get my booking and I really think they should change their booking system. The room are still fairly new and good for seize.

Overal an average experience for an average price.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family