“'city of smiles'”
Review of CityPoint Hotel

CityPoint Hotel
Ranked #108 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This hotel is perfectly situated close to Terminal 21 where you can get access to any major attractions in Bangkok. A tip is to buy the food coupon at the foodcourt in T21 With good food and great shopping what else can you ask for. The hotel staff helps where needed and they will greet you every single time with a smile. Probably the friendliest and safest place I've ever been to. The hotel is very clean en perfect for those who prefers a hotel instead of a backpackers lodge or a B&B. just behind the amount of friendly smiles are the amount of aircons you will find almost everywhere. If you need to arrange any tours, transportation or food delivered then the hotel will assist. The people in Bangkok are respectful and will work hard to keep you the tourist happy. The hotel is perfect for those who like to party hard and shop till you drop. I will definitely visit them again.

Room Tip: rather pick a superior room with a double bed. get a package with breakfast included
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
CitypointBKK, General Manager at CityPoint Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear gato-pumpui,

It was our great pleasure looking after you on your recent visit to CityPoint Hotel and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on the site. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed all aspects, the location, room, and the services provided by our team

We hope that we may welcome you back in the very near future and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We recently booked and stayed for 3 nights in Citypoint Hotel Sukhumvit Bangkok. We have a pleasant stay for an office trip but incidences of discrepancies or lack of transparency marred our perfect idyllic holidays. We booked 3 rooms via online internet booking (after the reviews consultation in Tripadviser): 2 std rooms and one superior but mysteriously one room is charged in Malaysia Ringgit (which conversion is higher than the market rate credit card conversion) even though we booked all in Thai Bahts for all three rooms at the same time. After checking with our credit card company we were informed that the Hotel charged us in Malaysia Ringgit for the second room. We were baffled and emailed the Hotel management on the discrepancy. We received very RUDE email response from the hotel management. On arrival at the hotel, all rooms given were of the same size and standard. When we checked on the "superior" room booking, the receptionist told us that the difference between the two "standard" rooms and the "superior" room is the size of the bed which is supposed to be longer! we noted that the size of the beds for all the given rooms were the same length. We voiced our displeasure to the front desk. Later we received a call from the General Manager that the difference between the STANDARD room and the SUPERIOR room is not the size of the bed but the bath robes given in the Superior room. I was once again baffled! Did we pay extra to get the bath robes? Surely not! In such situation we would prefer the management to be more transparent and upfront on the difference between a STANDARD room and SUPERIOR room as who in their right mind would pay for extra in superior room category just to enjoy a pair of bath robes! Otherwise that the incidences of lack of transparency and discrepancy as above stipulated, we really like this hotel for its prime location and clean cut ambiance. We had welcoming breakfasts in the lobby lounge cafeteria and overall the Hotel is neat and trendy. It is a well managed petite modern cozy stays in the heart of Bangkok.
Despite the hiccups, I do recommend this Hotel for future stays for those in need of good location clean cut cozy environment in a hotel stay. The improvements recommended: for the staff and management to be more courteous and knowledgeable in handling of customers dissatisfaction without the dramas and high horse attitudes. Nadia n friends

2  Thank Amsi A

Dear Amsi A,

I want to sincerely apologize for an unpleasant experienced at the hotel recently. Our hotel prides itself on providing our guests with the highest level of friendly and responsive service. Making our guests feel welcome and well cared for is our highest priority and I am very sorry that you did not experience the level of service during your stay.

With regard to your first concern on the payment charged in Ringgit I would like to apologize once again for the inconvenience caused to you. This case I must politely refute that it was not our intention to make the payment in Ringgit since our first and always option on the payment is in Thai Baht unless guests request to pay in their currency, but due to an option on your card that allow to charge only in Ringgit by the time of the charge was made. Then, for the email that sent to you in response to your question on this case to explain what had happened to the charge, if it was rude to you, I do sorry for this since all messages to you on the email were to clarify and make it comprehend to you and to fulfill your request in every way we could and the case was solved and done on your email since 09 July, 2013.

Second concern on room type I would also like to gently correct the difference between our Standard and Superior rooms that you have mentioned. Actually, the difference is not just only a bathrobe, but there might be misunderstood on the details. Our Superior room provides full amenities set up, not only a bathrobe for sure and room is available up to 5th floor for those who prefer a room on high floor while a Standard is placed only on the 2nd floor. Thus, both room types vary in design, amenities, and location, but not in size. I do sorry for the incorrect information carried to you by our new staff about the rooms.

Once again, I apologize for the incident you faced on your arrival date and thank you also for leaving us a review on the site

Reviewed 20 September 2013

To be honest, I am quite surprised this hotel could have trip advisors best hotel awards. This hotel is just a shop-houses-converted-to-hotel type of hotel, located in a culdesac alley with nothing except some local shop houses and a Korean buffet restaurant. Yes, it is 'close by' to Asok BTS and Terminal 21 shopping centre. But on the neighbourhood, there were no amenities at all.

Hospitality wise, I am very very very surprised for the 'too friendly' front desks. I happened to checked in before my friends arrival and left my luggage inside my room and leave for the spa nearby. The room was booked by me and only under my name. Then I was told to left the old-school room key to the front desk should I leave the hotel to prevent unwanted events like lost keys. And after two hours I returned just to found out that they have give MY room key to MY FRIEND. I never left any messages and permission that they should give out my room key to any of my friends. This is really Not right. How could they assume that those were my real friends? I mean, I've stayed in hotels worldwide and this is really a big surprise for me that the front desk easily offers my hotel key room with MY Luggage already inside the room to somebody that is not even mentioned under my bookings? This shows that the hotel does not care for their guests privacy. This is unacceptable and when I questions the front desk officer, she told me My friends told her that they are my friends. That was a very weak and irresponsible answer. And I was really not in the mood to argue much longer.
The next day when we arrived, again, the front desk did another mistakes by giving us the wrong room key.

The room size was average. Housekeeping was also average. I found the same dirt in the same place for three days. And on the third day, the dustbin just sat in the middle of the room. Luckily it was emptied. The hotel was not soundproofed at all. You heard door bangs and footsteps.

This hotel surely needs a lot of improvements. Obviously in its PRIVACY POLICY.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
CitypointBKK, General Manager at CityPoint Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear byusmommie,

Thank you for giving us a chance to take care of you on your recent stay. Firstly, I accept that our building is a shop house renovated to a hotel with modern style and situated like an oasis on a quiet street in the heart of Bangkok. Guests’ rooms are designed with a contemporary flair, clean lines and relaxing colors. We are very centrally located closed to BTS, MRT, and all the wonderful attractions, restaurants and shopping centers that Bangkok has.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you in regard to the room key, and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Meantime, please allow me to explain what exactly happened. After investigating your concern with the front desk staff that checked you in that day, and found that upon your arrival the message from you to the staff was that you were early arrival and that three friends of you would be checking in later, but yes it was a verbal message, not a note of permission. Later, when three friends of you happened to check in one of them who appeared to stay with you informed the staff that she would share a room with you since one room is allowed for 2 people only, and she clearly mention your full name as well. This was the reason why the key was given to your friend. It was a mistake by the staff for not asking you exactly name of the person who would share a room with you and that an unplanned friend switched to your room. I truly sorry for this if the staff attempted to assist your friend was not satisfied you.

Please be assured that it will not happen again. We will take immediate actions and improve our service. We pay high attention to our guests’ privacy and security and are aware of the fact that your satisfaction and trust is our priority

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

Most reviewers say that the location is great. I don't really agree. It's true that Asoke BTS is close, and getting to Terminal 21 is pretty convenient, but apart from that, the immediate surrounds are pretty barren. I really value having at least a 7-11 or similar nearby when in BKK, and by that I mean a minute or so away. But there is nothing close to CityPoint...except a Korean restaurant. This may not be a problem for some people, but it was for.
The breakfast just wasn't worth trying unless you are really hungry.
The deluxe room was quite nice, but was a bit small. There was no armchair, which I missed. The big problem was the view of a wall about 2 metres away. It was painted white, so the room was not dark. No view at all was a bit depressing though.
Housekeeping did a good job. The full length mirror was a nice touch, and the "open" bathroom was ok for me. The door key system was a bit old school, and hearing other guests struggling with their doors was a bit annoying. Soundproofing wasn't great either.
In short, CityPoint was ok, but it's not for everyone. I'll try soi 8 or 11 next time.

• Stayed: September 2013
CitypointBKK, General Manager at CityPoint Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear jacarand,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay at Citypoint Hotel. However, I was surprised to read that one of our great advantages on the hotel location was not satisfied your needs. We are very centrally situated on a quiet street in the heart of Bangkok and conveniently surrounded by everything you needed, 7/11 is just 50 meters from the hotel within the Exchange Tower, the Gourmet Market inside the Terminal 21, Foodland Supermarket is across the street open 24 hours. and many more within a walking distance, but I was sorry that they did not seem to be close enough to your expectations, but I must agree that the Korean Restaurant is just next door and the order can even be delivered to your room.

If you return, please be assured that we will provide fully information on the places nearby and I would be glad to personally take care of your booking and make sure that on this occasion you will not miss them

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We selected this hotel after perusing on the internet mainly because of its location and we were not disappointed. It's only a couple of minutes walk from both the MRT and Sky train and another few minutes walk to Robinsons and the Terminal 21 complex. The rooms were very clean and as new with 2 bottles of water supplied each day. The only meal available is breakfast which did not offer much choice or variety but certainly adequate. We found all the staff we had contact with very friendly and helpful. My partner enjoyed the close proximity to a massage centre and to the street vendors. Overall a pleasant stay and will return on our next trip to Bangkok.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Billy07,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Citypoint. I am very delighted to read that you're happy with your stay and that you found our location suitable for your needs, the staff were friendly and helpful.

I have passed your kind comments to the team who really do appreciate it and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next trip to Bangkok

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Chose this hotel after all the positive reviews on Trip Advisor.

In terms of location you couldn't ask for a better spot. 2 mins walk from hotel. Hotel is nice and clean with comfy bed. The TV channels were not all working. Only CNN and BBC was ok and the rest were basically unviewable.

The only negative about the hotel was the breakfast. There's definitely room for improvement for the price they're charging.

Overall it was a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
CitypointBKK, General Manager at CityPoint Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Kimchimoon,

Thank you very much for posting your comments. I am glad to read that our location and the room were suitable for your needs, but obviously I was disappointed to read that you felt the breakfast was not as special. I have taken into consideration your informative feedback regarding the TV channels and the breakfast for further review with our team.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 12 September 2013

This hotel is located in an excellent location, just 1 minute away from Terminal 21 shopping mall and Asok BTS/Sukhumvit MRT. You can replenish your snacks or water at the mall basement. There is complimentary water from the hotel. Good massage places, such as Urban Retreat and Let's Relax, are nearby. There is also a money changer when you turn left from the street where the hotel is located. The rooms may be a bit small, but it's ok if you do not intend to spend much time resting in the hotel. The furnishing in the room is pretty new and the rooms are clean. There is a variety of TV channels but most are in Thai language. Hotel breakfast is simple, and the spread can be improved. Reception staff are friendly and prompt to assist with any request. Overall, I would give it a 4/5! The location is just too convenient for me to enjoy my shopping, massage and travel around by BTS or MRT.

Room Tip: Perhaps get a room away from the stairs and lower floors as there is no lift. I stayed in room 204...
1  Thank RoyThia
CitypointBKK, General Manager at CityPoint Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Roy Thia,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you had a good experience and that you found everything in the ares suitable for your needs. However, I was sorry that the team did not inform you about the lift. We actually provide left service at the hotel. Please come to visit us again and we will not miss it this time

Thank you once again for your feedback and we all look forward to serving you soon

Warm regards,