“Quaint bed and breakfast in the heart of the old city”
Review of The Asadang

The Asadang
Ranked #40 of 728 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2013

My husband and I loved staying at the Asadang during our February trip to Thailand. The staff really shined and accommodated all of our requests. The b & b, located in a converted old mansion, is very tastefully decorated and oozing with charm. We stayed only three nights, but it was a perfect location for exploring the old town; it was also nice to be away from the crowds, shopping malls and highrises scattered through other parts of the city. The Asadang is near a lovely park with gorgeous old trees and landscaping - perfect for a morning or evening stroll. It is also just steps from the Grand Palace and reclining Buddha.

Breakfast was fantastic and very filling. We both had the Thai breakfast almost every morning and highly recommend it- it includes a variety of tasty and unique tastes that we did not get anywhere else. The room was small but quaint, and had everything we needed, including AC and a clean shower. But for one night when a large group came in with a loud child, the nights were quiet and we slept well. I always recommend that travelers bring ear plugs, but the noise here was actually lower than many spots I've stayed in Asia. I will certainly return to the Asadang if or when I make it back to Thailand.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second level in a quaint room. The top floor room was booked, otherwise I would hav...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 May 2013

We decided to stay here after some great reviews on Tripadvisor and it did not disappoint. The Asadang is in a great location in the Old Town of Bangkok, and within walking distance to some of the best sights and temples. As it's not located where all the other hotels are, most taxi drivers seemed to have trouble finding the place, we ended up directing most of them how to get there.

When we arrived we were welcomed with a refreshing drink which was just what we needed! The only downside of our arrival was being hassled for payment. We weren't sure if we were going to stay for 1 night or 2 and would have preferred to pay each day, we thought it wouldn't be a problem as the b&b wasn't full especially as it was the low season, but the manager insisted us on paying up front for the 2 nights.

The rest of the staff were incredibly friendly and very accommodating. Our room was a little on the small side but very nicely decorated, clean, and great attention to detail. One major problem with our room was that the windows were single glazed and did not shut properly and as there was a bar across the road, it would get very noisy at night. I only managed to get a few hours of sleep each night. I would recommend bringing ear plugs!

The one thing that made up for my lack of sleep was the great breakfast in the morning. I would definitely recommend the thai bento box option. We couldn't stay for breakfast the next morning as we had to catch a very early flight, but they made us delicious sandwiches to take with us to the airport. It's the little things like this that make the Asadang a very nice place to stay.

Although I would recommend The Asadang, at £65 for the cheapest room, I don't think it's worth the money. Then again most hotels in Bangkok are very expensive. If it were a bit more affordable I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2013

The Asadang is definitely one of the highlights of our Bangkok trip. Located in a heart of the Old Town, we could discover Bangkok on feet. As soon as you enter the door of the Asadang you feel like you move in time. It has a beautiful ambiance of colonial architecture. Each room is unique and special. I felt like visiting some old relatives, the staff was soo warm and hospitable. Our check out was very early in the morning (4am), the receptionist walked with us to the taxi, made sure that we packed everything, and waved to us saying good-bye till our taxi disappeared - sweet.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mytravelmind
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I stayed in The Asadang on april, 2013. It´s a very agreable place to stay, with a spacious room and a beautiful bathroom. The staff was very agreable, trying to help you, although they need to be a litlle more profissional (we were late for a tour because they couldn´t be able to serve us breakfast at the time we asked for - and it was at 8:30AM!). If I would stay there again? Probably not - not for the place and the staff (both very nice) but for the price I payed I was expecting more.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My wife and I have stayed in a number of "Heritage" or "Boutique" hotels in Asia and we found the Asadang to be a little below par.
It's location is excellent being close to several of the major sites and in real Old Bangkok rather than sandwiched between modern shopping malls. Whilst our taxi driver found the place ok, locating the actual address was a trial as there is no sign on the building at all. The front door is kept locked and so one has to ring the bell which, it has to be said, was always answered promptly by staff who were, at all times, pleasant and courteous.
We had booked the Asadag Suite for three nights, being the most expensive option in the property. Whilst it was spacious, there were several shortfalls. No fridge - in Bangkok! The plumbing arrangements in the bathroom, without going into unecessary detail, may surprise a lot of European guests. There was no wardrobe or chest of drawers to store clothes - a hat stand being the only substitute. The worst aspect, however, was the bed. We both like a firm bed but woke up with sore hips due to the very hard bed.
All in all, the lovely staff were unable, in our minds, to compensate for a lack of facilities and we will not return.

Room Tip: Stairs to the first floor are extremely steep - beware!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We arrived late (11pm) by a driver arranged by the hotel. Ann and Pon were more than welcoming and it felt like a safe, calm haven after travelling for more than 32 hours! Lots of narrow stairs to climb to our room but worth every stair. Lovely bathroom, tall ceilings and 4 poster bed. Breakfast was fun! We chose the Thai bento-box style and it had everything from fried rice in one container to sticky rice around mango wrapped in banana leaf! Our gastronomic adventure in Thailand had begun! The staff was always present if you needed them and would run outside to flag down a tuk tuk for you and give the driver directions, as english was a bit of a problem in that area. We only stayed for 2 nights but were happy we chose the Asadang!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Don't get me wrong. The hotel itself is as quaint as quaint can be. It showed us a glimpse of Old Bangkok. The service was impeccable. The staff were all very nice and helpful. The breakfast was yummy (get the Thai breakfast).

It's just that whenever we had to take a taxi back to the hotel, it would always be a frustrating process. The map provided by the hotel may need to be improved (I noticed the orientation was wrong as well - North wasn't North) to make it real easy for taxi drivers to know the exact area. For me the hotel wasn't that hard to find because it's on a corner. I just don't understand why many taxi drivers found it hard to get to. Thank God for Google maps, I ended up directing the taxi drivers that brought us back.

Room Tip: The Asadang Suite is the biggest with a private terrace for you to have your afternoon tea.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank misterjar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangkok
The Bhuthorn
#16 of 28 in Phetchaburi
Baan Noppawong
Baan Noppawong
#12 of 728 in Bangkok

Been to The Asadang? Share your experiences!