“Sitting outside on the river and enjoying a great sampling of Thai food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Wave

The Wave
Ranked #448 of 10,694 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, View, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boston, Massachusetts
“Sitting outside on the river and enjoying a great sampling of Thai food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

My wife and son and I enjoyed a great sampling of Thai dishes at this restaurant. All were delicious. It was a great way to wind up a day of touring around the city of Bangkok. Outdoor dining on the river was particularly appealing. Excellent service and live music added to our dining experience.
--Boston travelers

• Visited February 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
“Some people must be easily pleased”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I'd never been to Bangkok before but was going there for Chinese New Year with my girlfriend. It was her birthday during the trip and as we had lined up a couple of fine dining restaurants for various nights I was looking for something a bit different for her birthday. Having read the reviews I decided to take her to the Wave. After all - it must be really good based on all the reviews right?

I'm not going to criticise the staff - they were as helpful as they could be, the food was ok but nothing special (not compared to the reviews anyway). We had eaten much better Thai food at other places during the trip and I acknowledge it is much cheaper but the praise just isn't warranted.

In addition the place has a real cheap feel to it (plastic bowls/plates, pieces of what looked like carpet for drink place mats??) and the view is nothing more than the boats you see going up and down tied to the pier. Do not go there for anything other than a very casual and cheap meal. In addition it is a long journey unless you are staying around that area.

i won't base a choice on such reviews again. I was so disappointed as was my girlfriend although luckily she was good about it. I just don't see how all the reviews can rave about it. It's nothing more than cheap and cheerful with a bit of a bar atmosphere thrown in. Personally I would rather pay more on any night and go for something a bit more upmarket.

I have nothing against the place itself I'm just frustrated that the reviews convinced me to book for a special occassion but I guess that's my mistake.

6 Thank Steve H
Hanoi, Vietnam
“value when considering everything”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Quite a trek from our hotel... end of the line on Sky Train and then another 20 minutes via taxi (who got a bit lost even with directions in Thai) ending next to the Big C and on a working area of the river. Wait staff spoke very little to no english but the menu was easy to navigate. The shrimp dishes and soft shelled crab were fresh and good, whole fish a bit of a disappointment but overall when considering the final price ($45 use) a value. We certainly enjoyed sitting outside looking over the river and the docked boats. If we return we will try the hotpot as most tables (locals) had ordered it!

3 Thank h2ojc
Forges
“Nice people, lovely food and ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Following good reviews here, we decided to go to "The Wave" for our last night in Bangkok/ We weren't disappointed. We booked at 7pm for 7.30. but traffic caused us to be delayed, so phoned to warn them. Instead of the surly response I've had from some European restaurants, the reply was "Thank you very much for letting us know". That set the scene for the meal. We were welcomed like royalty and given a very good table right beside the river. The head waitress came to sit with us and chat briefly before bringing the menu - she seemed genuinely interested in us and where we were from etc.

We ordered our food and everything was magic. Asked whether we wanted our food spicy, medium or mild, we chose spicy - we have been in Bangkok a week after all - and that's exactly what we got. Not too hot, but just perfect. With two large beers, three main dishes, rice for two and some fresh fruit for dessert the total bill was a hair over 1000baht for the two of us. When you think that this is one of the best restaurants in a capital city and we chose dishes that were far from the cheapest, that's a real bargain - but don't tell THEM that. We had live music and the overall feel of the restaurant was relaxed and easy. We were made to feel really special - and what more could one want?

3 Thank IaninFrance
New York City, New York
“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

have stayed many times at Bangkok and have eaten many days at the Wawe. The food is excellent and tastes very great. The staff are the most attentive around. The price is affordable