“A quiet place to have a rest.”
Review of Loy La Long Hotel

Loy La Long Hotel
Ranked #16 of 628 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Taoyuan, Taiwan
“A quiet place to have a rest.”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The wind, the cat, the serene, the friendly people, it's really a great place to stay.
I chose the orange room, maybe the warm color and the cozy bed, I got my first good sleep after four days in Thailand.
Wake up in the morning and just sitting in the front veranda waiting for the special breakfast. What a wonderful start of the day.
Thanks for calling the taxi and confirm the address, and sorry for being shine about 15 mins.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank smile0319

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Truly an incredibly inviting and comfortable place to stay. The staff are tremendously kind and helpful, the service is great and the location creates an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city, whilst still being central enough to access many different attractions on foot. My room was quiet, clean and very comfortable and the balconies and shared spaces around the hotel were warm and inviting. The staff went above and beyond to make us comfortable, even going as far as to make us packed lunches for our early start tours around the city. I would highly recommend Loy La Long to anyone staying in Bangkok. Superb.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Loy La Long far exceeded my expectations. We travelled as a group of 6 women, first time to Bangkok for nearly all of us and we were absolutely blown away by the kindness and gentleness of the staff at Loy La Long. The food is fantastic, the rooms are quirky and clean and the river views are so relaxing.The hotel is situated far enough out of the hustle and bustle to make it feel like a retreat and close enough for you to see the sights easily using the water taxis. I would recommend this hotel to everyone going to Bangkok, fabulous.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in February 2014, and cannot recommend it highly enough - will definitely stay here again next time in Bangkok. Our room was beautiful and quirky, as well as very clean. The shared areas of the hotel, including balconies overlooking the river, were very relaxing. Staff were friendly and helpful and even offered us spare clothes to wear as our baggage was delayed. It is well situated for visiting Chinatown, but is located in the grounds of a temple, so a quiet and relaxing place to unwind.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucy R
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Unique accommodations for those who prefer to stay on the fringes of the main Bangkok tourist hubs. Service is excellent, but unobtrusive, the emphasis being on allowing the guest set their own pace. If you need something, just ask, and the friendly staff will assist with the level of quiet courtesy synonymous with Thai customer service.

The green river view suite is comfortable with views across and upstream. Relax, unwind and watch river life unfold. As previous reviews reiterate, the river location is accompanied by a level of ambient noise, but in a city such as Bangkok, it would be naïve to expect otherwise.

Conveniently located adjacent to Chinatowns main street food artery you will not be left wanting for choice - breakfast, lunch or dinner. The food prepared in house is also excellent, so if you do not feel up to tackling the heat or hustle of Yaowarat Road and its many interesting diversions, simply enjoy a meal in the superb common area.

I highly recommend Loy La Long to anyone searching for an interesting balance between guesthouse and boutique style accommodations.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have a penchant for unique guesthouses, I seek them out wherever I go. There are a few things I look for upon deciding where to stay. Being an artist, I like places that step away from the norm, I love quirky, unusual, hidden gems that can offer me a bit more than the usual run of the mill chain hotels with their monochromatic colour schemes and predictable flavours.

When I came across Loy La Long on the internet, I immediately became obsessed. Their website was fresh and original, the photographs stunning, and I knew this was the one.

Skip through a few months and we're in Bangkok, the time had come to test it out. I was excited beyond belief, but still had reservations as to whether Loy La Long would live up to my expectations or not. I booked the Black room for my parents, and the blue room for myself, my husband and 6 year old son. Here's my honest truth.

Upon arrival, I felt a little jaded, the owners weren't around and the staff that greeted us seemed inexperienced and confused. Don't get me wrong, they were sweet, but we spent a lot of time just standing there waiting for them to tell us what the arrangements were. The hotel was everything I thought it would be, just a small, wooden house built upon the Chao Praya River. The scenery is stunning! The rooms are tastefully decorated and the overall artistic theme of the house really appealed to my style.

This is where I will stop you to let you know, do your research. This place may not be for everyone. This is definitely not the place for the frail and elderly. I made the mistake of just "winging" it when it came to booking a room for my senior parents, and although my mother is still very agile, my father isn't quite so lucky. He found it very difficult to get around, even just walking the uneven steps up to the front door. Being that it is an ancient house, the gorgeous wooden floor boards aren't exactly straight and the staircase to the upper floor has no handrail. The hotel is also located in the grounds of a monastery, so be prepared to walk. Yaowarat Rd is a good 10-15mins walk away if you're keeping up a good pace. The nearest 7-11 is about the same distance, so if you're worrying about things like this, then I suggest you stay somewhere else.

But, upon saying that, if you love all the quirky imperfections and places that are out of the ordinary, then I guarantee you will LOVE it! I did. No where else in Bangkok will you get an opportunity to stay at a place as special as this. The whole house literally hangs over the river and you can see and hear the waves sloshing underneath the floor. We felt as though we had the whole home to ourselves, and it was just the most peaceful and relaxing location, sitting out on balcony watching river life go by. The food was also delicious and reasonably priced, they have a cocktail list and beers at the ready so you never even have to leave.

As others have stated, it can get a little noisy especially when the barges come past, but they provide you with earplugs, so pop them in and you'll be fine! The beds are also ridiculously hard, I'm used to a hard bed, but I think in the setting that this hotel is in, a soft, pillowy bed would be just that added bit of luxury that would make it an almost perfect stay.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, despite the few hiccups and I would return again for sure. I feel so blessed in finding this place, it's world class in my eyes, and its places like these that are the reason why I travel. Step outside the box, immerse yourself in the country and it's people, and you'll get so much more out of life!

Room Tip: Blue room is upstairs with a small balcony with hammock and chairs. Black room is on the ground floo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MeLLe_BuRn
Beijing, China
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Right on the river this is the best place to unwind from the hectic city of Bangkok. It's located within a temple complex it's very relaxing. Along with the incredible views one of the best aspects of the this hotel is it's small staff; all members and so friendly and helpful. They rooms are spotless, comfortable and incredibly charming, the breakfast filling and delicious. The noise from the riverboats can be loud but by midnight most of the cruisers no longer run and you'll wake well rested to the sound of the river lapping underneath your floorboards. Excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Pay extra to overlook the river it's worth it!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple