“Heart of Bangkok!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 1,135 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Boston
“Heart of Bangkok!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

Booked this place online because Smile Society ranked the highest on the list. There is a reason it's number one.

Run efficiently by Bee, the head lady who you'll come to know and love, Smile Society has got to be one of the best Hostels I've stayed in while traveling SE Asia. Plus, she speaks superb english, and is extremely informative and helpful when it comes to figuring out what to do and how to navigate Bangkok and its surroundings.

I actually checked out to go to another hotel, but came running back to Smile Society because this place is just that good.

I should mention that this is more of a boutique hostel. The rooms are immaculately and spotlessly clean. The most common lodging option is a dorm room, separated by gender. There is a mixed dorm option as well.

The bathrooms are fully powered by hot water and well-lit. The staff do a FANTASTIC job at keeping the space spotlessly clean.

Located in Pit Pong, Smile Society is in the center of all the hustle and bustle, yet is quietly located off the busy main street.

Breakfast of fresh fruit, hot tea/coffee, and bread is included in the price.

The hostel felt like a home away from home thanks to all the amenities (FREE INTERNET and WIFI, affordable laundry service) and comfort it offered. We departed early in the morning at around 4AM, yet Bee managed to call us a taxi and packed us our breakfast. That's what I call impeccable service.

When we came back to Bangkok before heading out to Laos, we had about 10 hours in the city. Bee allowed us to leave our bags and use the internet. Again, service like this is what makes this place amazing.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely!

Room Tip: All rooms are great. 2nd floor might be easier on the legs though!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

Easy to get to and find with the owners directions. Great location just by a street market and a short walk to the sky train.
Clean - Secure - Calm - great location - fun - nice atmosphere
The owner, Bee, is a legend and could not have done more to help.
I highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

Arrived tired and jetlagged, but very easy to get to thanks to the directions personally emailed to me by the owner. Not far from Sala Daeng skytrain station so very easy to reach from the airport. The owner is a legend, a bible of knowledge about bangkok and the best ways to see this fantastic city. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mainz, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

The Smile Society is a very clean and cozy hostel in Silom. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful; they offer a service that exceeds regular hostel standards. Whenever we had a question about where to go in Bangkok or anywhere in Thailand, we received honest answers that helped us get around in the city. Everytime we stayed in Bangkok we came back to this hostel because we always felt welcome here. It is by far one of the cleanest places we have stayed at in Thailand. Thank you, Smile Society

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

To be completely honest I can't find any fault with this hostel, not that I want to because it's lovely. It's a 5 min walk from the sky rail which will take you pretty much anywhere in Bangkok, you're also not far from the river (couple of stops in the S.R) so we we able to catch the ferry to the big golden buddha, China town, etc.

The hostel is clean - beds, rooms, showers (soap and shampoo provided) toilets, communal areas (incl a nice tv room with massive screen), everywhere. The beds are also really comfy and the reading lights a nice touch.

Bea, who runs the hostel is the loveliest person you will meet. She is really friendly, helpful and dispenses some great advice on what to do and, perhaps more importantly, what to avoid (there's info at reception on scams to be aware of and general advice on how not to get ripped off in Bangkok. She even gave my friends advice on how best to negotiate the border crossing into Cambodia). Bea is always around, in fact, I'm not sure when she sleeps.

In my mind the hostel is very secure. There's a series of key pads and swipe cards to get through before you reach the communal areas and then the bedrooms.

Free internet and a good connection. Unforunately we missed breakfast in both mornings so I can't comment on the food.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay there I would definitely return if I pass through Bangkok again.

Room Tip: Book early if you want to get a private room. Having said that, I stayed in a dorm and was perfectl...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

I walked into Smile Society with a big smile... This place is so cozy, so homely, so clean and comfortable. 1st look and I really fall in love with the place. Before arrival, I was actually still hesitating wether to go ahead and stay here or source for another place, cos review for another hostel near National Stadium skytrain has equally good review. I actually went down to take a look at the other hostel on my last day in Bangkok. I still prefer Smile Society after that. Not becos Smile is cheaper than there, but it also give me a very comfortable feel. Will surely stay there again if I go back to Bangkok. A 5* hostel, that's indeed true.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

location, amenities, cleanliness, staff, breakfast, wifi are all perfect! you don't have to ask for more in this lovely hostel!

Room Tip: book in advance as this property is always full
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo