“BEST hostel we've ever stayed in!!! We'll be back!”
Review of Smile Society

Smile Society
Ranked #3 of 1,194 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Cleveland, Ohio
“BEST hostel we've ever stayed in!!! We'll be back!”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I really can't say enough great things about this place! We're budget travelers and have stayed in many a tiny, dingy hostels as we see the world. This place was way different as far as comfort and size, but still very inexpensive! We'd never been to Bangkok, so it was nice that the owner helped us with a suggested itinerary for the free day we had after we checked out but before we caught out train to go south. We slept in a very comfy bed...the pictures of the rooms are very accurate! We got free breakfast, then we were invited to leave our bags there in their storage room all day while we saw the city backpack-free, since our train didn't leave until the evening. She told us exactly how to get around on the sky-train, metro and water taxis. She told how where to get on/off and exactly how much each thing would cost. Now we can get around Bangkok with no problem, all thanks to her help in getting us started. Also, very good location! Close to public transportation and great food!!! Next time we're in Bangkok, we aren't even shopping the hostels, we're going straight back to Smile Society! We met up with some other friends who happened to be staying at a 5-star place with a different group tour. When they saw our room at Smile Society, they were very impressed and remarked that they'd probably feel more comfortable there.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank calaska623

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

It is a really nice hostel with a cosy living room where you can hang out and meet people. The Hostel is a very clean place and they help you with everything you need. I would stay here again every time!

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed here in November and thought the hostel was generally nice. On check-in you must read and sign the house rules which state some very strange points, no photography inside the building and no tourist sex. The tourist sex is understandable but I really wasn't sure about the photography inside.

The room was decent however we had a room with no remote for the air-conditioning which caused a few issues as it was very very cold. Each bed had a large locker, power socket and light which was great, however you needed your key card to operate the electricity in the room, meaning that if you wanted to leave something charging like a battery etc you had to sit with it as you card was needed to access three different doors (front door, stairs door and room door). The hot showers and toilets were fine, only thing was that you had to always run up the stairs for the toilet as the one on the ground floor was generally locked.

The communal areas were ok, the outside space was minimal and usually resulted in getting eaten alive by mosquitoes because of all the plants around. There was work being carried out while we were there and this affected the breakfast area. Breakfast was included but for the cost of the dorm it really was not worth it. It was very small.

They offered laundry services here but I had a mix up when I ended up getting all girls clothes back, the woman on duty at the time couldn't speak english so we had to call the owner to translate. This was a reoccurring theme that staff couldn't speak english other than the owners.

They would disappear for some time and if you wanted anything you had to hang around and wait on their return. This also caused an issue if you wanted to buy anything from the fridge as only the owners had the keys and if they weren't there then you couldn't buy anything.

The owner was a lovely lady and gave us a packed breakfast for trip but if I'm being honest the hostel was just ok and nothing amazing. It was expensive in comparison to the other places. The area was ok, generally seedy at night with the usual ping pong shows being offered along with 'boom boom'. The area smelled of sewers but I think this was a theme in Bangkok. If I was to go back I would probably stay a larger hostel with a more sociable atmosphere. I did meet some cool people here though. As for the advice offered by the hostel on the area, it was non-existent, there was a map and and that was it. No tips and advice on scams, taxis or getting around in general.

Room Tip: There's no elevator so take that into consideration.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Adam W
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Super clean, great area, quiet, and very helpful staff. What more could you ask for?! I as traveling for 2 months and this was my favorite hostel of my whole trip. Started my trip here and ended it as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Best hostel in Thailand. Nice rooms (I stayed in the private) and great service. Really clean and great location. I would make sure to book in advance to avoid the 8 person room. Good wifi and tv in my room. The owner Bee is awesome. I did laundry as well for 120 baht for every 2 kg

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Philippines
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The Place: The place is on a quiet sub-soi of Silom 11. It is just a stone throw away from the main Silom road, just 50m to a 711, 25m to a pizzeria and some restos and several massage place. It's just a couple blocks away from Patpong but the place where Silom Smile is less seedier than other areas.

The Rooms: I stayed at a 4bed room and the mattresses were thick and springy and the a/c quite strong. The communal bath was clean and smells nice. It has that colonial streak with a nice white coat of paint and faux wooden floors. Water pressure is strong with readily available hot water.

The Common Areas: Clean and chic just like a flashpacker place. it's not that spacious but can be cozy especially if you have the whole place to yourself, otherwise it can feel crowded with all the white foreigners lounging around. The stairs can be quite steep especially if you have luggages, so it's best to travel light. A couple of computers are there for free use and the place has fast wifi.

The Staff: Bee is one of the best managers I've encountered. She's hard-working, diligent, accommodating and practical. There are rules to follow but she's not that dogmatic about it. Great. Great. Great. Her staff is accommodating.

Price: Although it's one of the top tier hostels, it's the price range and location that make this hostel quite competitive.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 13 January 2014

"Sympathetic" itse probably the best word to describe this place that is really conveniently located in Silom, close to Sala Daeng BTS station, several 7-11s, restaurants, cafeterias etc.

I arrived before check in time and was allowed to wait my room on the couch of the really nice get-together area, where a later met many people and got company. I stayed the first two nights in a private room to get over my jetlag, and then two nights in a 6 bed female dorm.

Bee the manager told me already when I made my booking that the private room it really small, and so was it indeed. Probably 8 square meters including the bathroom. The only window was in the bathroom, but at least it was dark to sleep. The aircondition was right over the bed and it got a bit chilly during the night, but so does it everywhere. It was more annoying that there's a moped station outside and and the gases and smoke from cigarette came to the room.

Female dorm was on 4th floor and like every place on hostel, it was really tidy and the bathrooms were nice. Dorms don't include drinks on breakfast (which was good but not very healthy). There's a place to leave your luggage for free on check out day, but it's not guarded all the time. However, in general I found the place very safe.

As it has been told elsewhere, Bee is the heart of this place. However, she is the only one who speaks English, and in case of problems, she is the only one who is able to help. Yes, she is there around the clock, but I think it would be better for both her and the guests to get English speaking staff.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo