“Unexpected gem”

The Empire Place Condo
Ranked #41 of 1,307 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I just got back from Bangkok today and I must say that this hotel was definitely a pleasure to stay in for the past few days. It exceeded my expectations of the place; as it was a free stay, I did not expect much. Upon arriving, we were greeted warmly and our needs were taken care immediately with tea served and snacks provided. The room was clean and minimal and the bed was comfortable, another perk is the unlimited range of channels provided on the television. It is also convenient for travellers, as the sky train is a 10 minute walk away and it is very safe at night. The hotel staffs were all gems, especially with their "at your service" service, you can even have mcds delivered to you at 1 am! In short it was a pleasure to stay here, and I would highly recommend this place! Do get a 3 room suite if you have are a huge group of people or family as it can fit upto 10 people (yes, it is that big!!)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank holidayvacation101

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I am currently staying here. Been here for 2 days so far, staying a week. We checked in at about 10 AM on Friday, the room wasn't ready so we went and grabbed a bite to eat and the resort kept our bags. By the time we got back after lunch our room was ready for us! Waiting was a cold drink (I think it was sweet tea) cold wet towels and complimentary snacks and bottled water.

The air carrier (Gulf Air) lost one of our bags and I had a little bit of a problem telling my contact with Gulf Air the room number and location so they can deliver my bag to me. The staff were more than helpful to talk to them on my behalf and get everything straightened out.

I am staying in the 2 bedroom apartments and they are very nice with modern appliances. Even free WiFi and LAN access in the room.

Bring a power converter if you are from the US as all the plugs are 220v.

If you were like me you could not find this place on Google Maps. You can probaby find the Empire Towers, well that is about 2 blocks away from the Empire Place. There is a sign, but it is obstructed by trees so you can't see it from the street.

We took the BTS train from the airport here. If you have kids or any amount of luggage i would not reccomend this option. You are literally packed in that train like sardines depending on the time you catch it. It wasn't terribly difficult to follow the directions they send you to get to the resort, but you have to pay close attention to them though. If we had to do all over again we would have taken a cab.

We went to the weekend market today and took the BTS train and being more familiar and knowing what to expect made it less stressful. just know to have coin Baht for the tickets. There is a teller for change, but there is always a line for it. It cost 40 baht for a one way ticket to the Weekend Market station (Mochit) from Chong Nonsi which is the closest station to the resort.

Also, if you aren't used to public transportation it will help you to know whch train to get on if you know the final destination of the direction you want to go in. Because it doesn't really tell you thw stops in either direction except for the last one at the other stops. But there are always security personnel at all the stops that are more than happy to help.

We have been eating mainly street food the past few days, no stomach problems yet so don;t be afraid to try new things!

I hope to post some pictures that will help you know what building to look for and other things. plan to post more at the end ofour trip!

enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gilbert C
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My wife and I were spending our holidays in Bangkok and staying at one of its one bedroom units in 9 th floor on June 9 - 13, 2012. The suites were very good, clean and well equipped beside the kind and helpful services from the staffs, as Marriot standard. Wireless internet connection was good and reachable from the swimming pool area that was located in the 1st floor, The only minor issue was the bedroom AC that was a bit noisy and not well located that made the air blew towards your face while you were sleeping. The swimming pool were not bad, but unfortunately the fitness center was a bit disappointing as the equipment were not belonging to the good brand and half of them were out of service. This club was part of a condominium (The Empire Place) without Marriot board, so if you told the taxi driver (especially from the airport) only The Marriot VC without complete address, they might not be able to find it, as the driver would look for Marriot high rise building, so The Empire Place, behind The Empire Tower was more knowledgeable to the taxi drivers. The Club did not provide restaurant, so unless you were preparing your own breakfast, you had to wait around 9:00 for having breakfast at the Oasis Food Pavilion (basement of The Empire Tower) that is 5 minutes walk but during weekdays only or The City Viva for lunch and dinner only, basically finding food should not be any issues but you have to go out of the building. Supermarket and 7eleven were also in the neighborhood. Location of the Club was great, just 10 minutes walk to Chong Nonsi BTS, the skytrain station that could take you to major parts of Bangkok.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Handoko T
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The Staff
Firstly, I have to praise the friendly Marriott counter staff. They speak good English and are always ready to offer their service the best they can. They call cabs with meter right to the lobby for us. They have DVDs for loan, tennis rackets and even children swimming floats. Most unforgettable is their sincere smile and cheery greetings every day! For our last trip they recommended us a couple of places to visit and even gave us the maps to those places. We were very pleased with their recommendations.

The Place
We got a 1 bedroom unit this time round. Last time was a 3 bedroom one. Almost everything was the same - the fully equipped kitchen, the washing machine, queen size sofa bed with full mattress in the living room, free Wifi, 40" TV in all rooms equipped with DVD players, iPod player etc. It was not as cold as a hotel room. It felt more like our own home. That's why we were back for a second time. Marriott has really set the standard.

The Surrounding
City Vivas, within 5-10 min walk from The Empire Place, has a supermarket and some restaurants. We tried Shabu Shabu City for Shabu Shabu buffet. I am a meat eater so I love the thinly-cut pieces of wide variety of meat. Supermarket has everything we need, from bread to frozen food to fruits to snacks. Price is on the high side. There is a 7-11 also 5-10 min walk that sells groceries at a cheaper price. There is a Japanese fast food restaurant that we tried that is quite economical and the food is good as well.

On weekdays, do head down to the food court at the basement of The Empire Tower (10-15min walk away) to try the local food at super low prices.

There is an Heathland outlet about 15-20 min walk away that can let you do spa and message at super good prices.

Nearest BTS is also within walking distance for us to get to other places like MBK, Siam Square, Siam Paragon etc. But for a family of 4 like us, we find that taking a cab is actually about the same price as taking the BTS.

Oh, do ask for a map in Thai of The Empire Place from the friendly counter staff. You will need it to show to the cab / Tuk Tuk drivers when you want to return. Most cab/Tuk Tuk drivers are not familiar with the name "The Empire Place". If you show them the map, it helps a great deal.

Room Tip: So far, the 1 bedroom and 3 bedroom units that we stayed at at different floors are fine.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Vacatutu
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We used our Marriot membership to book a room in this condo hotel. Quite spacious, a unit has 3 bedrooms,kitchen, a dining and family room.

If you are going to Bangkok as a family, this condohotel can accomodate 5-6 in one unit and can serve as a home away from home.It has a kitchen and even has dining utensils, a spacious family and dining room and even has its own laundry room.

Definitely suited for a family or a bigger group.It is near the train station and quite accessible to almost anywhere in Bangkok

Room Tip: You can only book in this condohotel if you are a member of the Marriot Asia Pacific club.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank betty l
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stayed here for a week on our Accor points. What a superb and clean place it was!
The suite itself was excellent. We even had a loungeroom with a balcony overlooking the pool and two different sets of air con. The tennis court was an interesting site to watch people having lessons.
It was self contained with a kitchen and oh bliss - a laundry with a dryer!
The bathroom also had a bath and separate shower.
The staff were super helpful and as the resort is not in the main area of Bangkok it was a short walk to transport and a neat super market.
All in all - a wonderful experience for our first visit to Bangkok!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne E
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stayed at the Marriott Vacation Club at The Empire Place in February 2012. I had a 2 bedroom unit that was great. I had never been to Bangkok before, and this was a great place to explore from. The staff was extremely helpful with helping me find my way around and suggesting things to do. I was also going out of town to visit a friend, and they made all the arrangements for me. There were plenty of restaurants in the area. I went to Sara Janes several times as it was close and the staff and food were great. I also did a Thai cooking school at Blue Elephant nearby. I have stayed at a lot of Marriott Vacation Club properties, and this was probably my favorite. Do not hesitate to book this property.
This location is within walking distance of the Skyway so transportation is easy are vey reasonable. If you are security conscious the guards and multiple layers of locked doors will put you at easy. I have traveled throughout Southeast Asia and always felt safe.

Room Tip: The Marriott has four floors so selection is limited but all rooms are high enough to avoid street n...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo