“Don't miss this Bangkok at night attraction”

Siam Paradise Night Bazar
Ranked #300 of 516 Shopping in Bangkok
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I was traveling alone and my daughter cautioned me about going out alone to this attraction. I waited till my last night in Bangkok. So glad I went. It was great fun and I felt completely safe. Found so many things to buy and had fun negotiating prices.

2  Thank CCR01

Reviewed 28 December 2011

needed to pass some time, only a 40 Bht taxi ride up the street from the hotel. Walked back to the hotel. Good deals.

1  Thank Sooboy22
Reviewed 1 December 2011

This place is not made for the 50 something sex tourist. Its a local hangout with local prices and local food. come here only if you're sick if lady boys and crap trinkets being shoved in your face.

1  Thank JohnsEcho
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I went on a Saturday night, but I doubt it matters what night you go. The vast majority of the stalls are empty and vacant. There is a food court in the rear with maybe 1-2 vendor, but I did not see any customers and it looked closed. In the front food court/beer garden, there are about 6-7 vendors, all selling street food quality at restaurant prices. Within a couple minutes of me entering the beer garden, I had someone from every single vendor sticking a menu in front of me, desperate to make a sale. The noodles I decided on were about 3x what the same dish from a street vendor would cost, and lower quality. Aside from beer, there are really no drink options there. Fortunately, there is a 7-11 in front of the entrance. The beer garden was at best, about 20% filled with people, at 9pm on a Sat night.

As for the actual market, it was a verifiable ghost town. There were rows and rows of stalls, but only 2-3 stalls per row were open. I really enjoyed visiting the Suan Lum Night Bazaar last year, and was very upset to hear that it closed. Apparently, this is operated by the same company, but without any tenants or customers, it is clearly a failed attempt. The location is terrible, it used to be right in the middle of the city, with easy connections via MRT. Now it is 1/2 way between 2 BTS stations, at the very far end of the Sukhumvit line, far far away from where any tourists would be. Not to mention the 5-10 minute walk from the BTS station is on a fairly dark stretch of Sukhumvit road with a very poor excuse for a sidewalk. I really do want to see this place succeed and reclaim some of the glory of Suan Lum, but from what I saw, it is very unlikely to happen.

If you do decide to visit and walk there from Punnawithee BTS, stay on the north side of Sukhumvit road until you get to the pedestrian bridge in front of the bazaar (which is on the south side). The sidewalk on the north side is a little better and brighter, and there are actually a few shops and restaurants on that side. On one hand, I want people to go support it so it can succeed, but I have a real hard time justifying why anyone should visit it at all right now. If you want a real authentic 'Thai' shopping experience, just go to Station 21 at Asoke Station...that is where all the real Thais actually go shopping. The food is a lot better there, as well. If you really need a lot of tourist crap, just go to Chatuchak.

4  Thank downinit
Reviewed 14 November 2011

This paled in comparison to its predecessor - Suan Luam Night market. We read online that this was "THE" place to go after the closure of Suan Luam night market and so headed there one of the nights we were in Bangkok.

Alarm bells should have rang when most of the taxis we flagged declined to send us there but we persisted and took a long train ride to Punnawithi (it was the second last stop on the BTS line).

After alighting from the train station, it was another long walk of around 15 mins (through deserted roads, forsaken fields) before we reached.

The place was quiet - with only a litter of people around the dining area.

Dinner was settled at the dining area (a row of food stalls - mainly selling Thai cooked food - Tom Yum soup, basil leave chicken, seafood etc) which we what we ordered. There was a live band performing on stage. The place was huge but only about 10 tables were occupied the day we were there.

Having settled our dinner, we started shopping. Barely 30% of the shops were open, they were mostly deserted and the few shop owners were disinterested and often quoted rocket-high prices as if to scare off the few tourists who were there. We got sooooo bored, we left soon after to make the long journey back to our hotel in the main city area.

I do not recommend wasting an evening here. There are more to Bangkok's night life than this.