“Embarrassingly Rude and Arrogant Approach to Customers”
Review of Fat Gut'z Saloon

Fat Gut'z Saloon
Ranked #2,015 of 10,918 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Thong Lor & Ekamai
Bangkok
“Embarrassingly Rude and Arrogant Approach to Customers”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I had heard that the Fish n Chips were good at Fat Gutz. I have been a Bangkok resident for 8 years and have lived in Thonglor for 2 plus years having walked past Fat Gutz many times in the daytime and fancied the idea of a meal there. After a long tiring journey, my wife (Thai) and I decided to give it a try. We walked past some of our favourite places and arrived at the entrance. We stood outside, studied the menu, and it was clearly evident we were looking for a a seat or to be seated. The place was busy, and they had "floor staff". After five minutes we started to feel uncomfortable about the wait. Politely dressed, clearly looking for a meal, it was surprising we hadn't been seated or even noticed by the staff. Then! A Manager, with a badge labelled, helpfully, "Manager" appeared, but....on her mobile phone, speaking very loudly, walked right up to us both, almost nose to nose. She carried on talking, made eye contact, and for a completely unexplicable reason, turned her back on us without any acknowledgment and just walked back inside, as if we were two stray dogs on the street.

If anyone knows Bankgkok, they will know that Thonglor is a great, chic, hip and trendy place to hang out. There are a few too many "too cool for my own good" people around, but there are also lots of polite, well educated Thais around too. I had heard that the owner of Fat Gutz was doing well and had expanded his business around Thong Lor. What his manager failed to understand this evening is that residents carry the power of word of mouth, and longevity, and someone who values business,
; success; service and being treated respectfully has just been insulted by trying to be seated. I didn't even get a chance to speak or complain, that is how off hand and rude the "Manager" was.

This place absolutely sucks, and if you do manage to get a meal out of them, it will most likely be eaten through gritted teeth about the lack of VIP treatment. I am not sure how I could have been treated better aside from throwing an ingot of gold thought the window whilst reversing a Ferrari through the entrance: as it seems in trendy Thong Lor, places like Fat Gutz will survive for now based on its trendiness, but as competition increases, people like me will spread the words of truth, and such poor service will be the death of the place. I am open to apologies; explanations and a change of manager as a symbol of commitment to better service. I am wealthy enough to own various real estate in Thong Lor and therefore I don't need a discount or free drink offer. Owner beware....

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank LawyeroftheYear

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“Ridiculous drinks price!”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

After having craving for Fish and chips i visited this place last week. The fish and chips are very good but how can you justify charging 330 thb for a Gin and Tonic!!!! I am never one to quibble about price, money isnt a problem but just the blatent total rip off fact of 330 thb for a Gin and Tonic! I will go back but will drink water!

• Visited February 2012
“i love it there”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

the food was great, the selection wasnt large but they focused on their specialty: fish and chips. the food presentation is unique which added to the great ambiance of the saloon. the drinks are also very nice, they have a great mixologist.

the service staff is also very patient and helpful. you could sit in there for hours without realising it.

• Visited July 2011
Hua Hin, Thailand
“Eye for Detail”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Fish and Chips, Whiskey and Great Music. Easy to find with parking (a rarity in Bangkok).
If eating go early as once music starts this is a bar. Food is very very good and true to the description in the menu

• Visited August 2011
California
“Live Music, Drinks, Live Blues. An Expat hang out.”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

After having Sushi next door we headed over to Fat Gutz for a drink and check out what type of live music was playing. It was a blues band playing great tunes like BB King, the Thrill is gone. There were 4 musicians stuffed under the stairwell. Loved the singer and horns guy. The bar appears very Brit and dimly lit. It gets super crowded, there's not a lot of space so prepare to be get brushed. This definitely is an expat crowd. Hardly any Thai locals. Didn't eat the food but I saw it come out, the fish and chips looked really good. Our local Pharang friends say that the Fish and chips are legit. Next time, we will give it a try. Check it out!

Visited July 2011