“Nice budget hotel”
Review of Baan Boran

Baan Boran
Ranked #243 of 710 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The simplistic review: Mediocreto- Good guesthouse not in the center of Old Town, nor the center of Khao San road, but off the map a little bit. It is a close 10 minute walk to Khao San, but you will need to take Taxi-meters or tuk tuks to get to the main sites such as Wat Pho, Wat Arun, etc... Since it is further away from Khao San, it is more quiet, and there are less pushy people trying to sell you things or get you on a tuk tuk, or scam you. The staff is helpful, but only the woman who runs the place really speaks English. If you want to be in Old town, then this is a good budget place.

I remember checking into the Baan Boran, and my taxi driver having really no idea where the small little hotel/guesthouse was even located, despite me printing out directions in Thai from the hotel's website. I checked in late, probably around 12:30/1 am since my flight arrived late, and the young girls who work there gladly brought up my luggage, despite them being tiny. I was really taken back by the room being 1 room with the shower actually in the room, and no toilet. The room was clean, the a/c worked well, and it was in a decent location IF YOU WANT TO BE IN THE OLD TOWN AREA.

Pros:
-Cheap
-Close to Khao San Rd, and other Old Town attractions such as most of the temples, wat arun, wat pho, grand palace, etc...
-Clean room - they literally will clean everything/organize (pro & con)
-Staff was nice & helpful
-Breakfast included
-Fruit & refreshments given upon returning from sightseeing.

Cons:
-Bed sucks, but pretty much any budget hotel bed sucks.
-Other than the woman who runs the place, the girls who work there barely understand English. I found it very hard to communicate & ask them questions.
-No toilet in room.
-Shower literally placed in the room, so If sharing room, you can literally watch the other person shower. I was solo.

I was pretty over old town, and I stayed at this hotel for roughly 4 nights. If you need a cheap place to stay or are backpacking this is a good spot to stay. I stayed in the more modern areas of Bangkok for 2 other trips into Bangkok, while backpacking through SouthEast Asia, and I liked it a bit more, since Bangkok is also a thriving and beautiful modern city with great restaurants, shopping, and amazing nightlife. I even went to an esan bar (local bar), with some expats I met and it was a ton of fun. There is a lot more to see in the city than just old town!

My General Tips to Surviving Bangkok:
-Taxi meter > tuk tuk! Tuk tuks generally try to give you a cheaper rate, but will drag you around to different places in Old town such as tourist agencies & suit shops, because they get free gas if you stay there long enough or buy something from the place. I only paid 40 baht for a 2.5 hour ride to a few sites, but also was brought to 3 places I didn’t want to go to, and was really annoyed. So while it is cheaper, it can also be a hassle if you are limited on time.
-Always tell the taxi driver to turn on the meter.
-Don’t shake hands with the people trying to sell you something, or the guys who say “Hey Brother” or are trying to get your attention. They know how Westerners operate, and are trying to have western behaviors to lure you in so they can pitch their sale to you.
-Best way to avoid them is to say no, look straight ahead. Don’t waste your time or theirs.
-When buying stuff, haggle haggle haggle, especially on Khao San road. You should never pay full price for anything they are selling in the markets.
-Carry your wallet in your front pocket, or better yet get a money belt, or one that goes under your shirt and around your neck.
-Do not argue or get in a very heated discussion with the tuk tuk drivers or taxi meters. While many are friendly there have been incidences or tourists being harmed & killed for not paying things as little as 50 baht. Sometimes it is just better to be “ripped off” and pay the guy what he wants, than to argue over it.
-The earlier you get to the temples, the more quiet and cooler it will be.
-Don’t open your mouth when on the river, that water is pretty gross, and a few drops landing in your mouth could make you sick.
-Street food, restaurant food, drinks, silverware, cups, straws… They will most likely be contaminated at one point or another, and it isn’t because they don’t clean the items, but because many of the Thai people do not regularly wash their hands after using the bathroom, even in restaurants.
-Bring antibiotics, buy them when you get there, and make sure you get your vaccines & shots you need to before coming.
-Learn some Thai words before coming, like “I do not want” or “I will not go”

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Aberfitchfish

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in July 2013 for numerous nights. The hotel is very clean, the staff are incredibly nice and respectful, the hotel is very safe, the food at the Kaffee House is great and the rates are very reasonable. The rooms are well kept and they come with either a queen bed or twin beds, a bathroom, a cabinet for clothes, a tv with cable, and some have bench and a table. The building gets locked up after certain hours and your room key has a little clicker to hold against the machine on the gate and it opens. We didn't know about that and kept going out and coming back in all late night and kept waking the late night staff up. They didn't get upset nor did they tell us about the clickers till we found out accidentally. They weren't even upset with us! So kind. Will stay here for sure on future Bangkok visits. Very satisfied.

The restaurant Kaffee House has all kinds of great Thai food, soups and also has western breakfast which is egg sunny side up with ham, sausage. I added the chili sauce that was on the table. So good! By the way, eggs taste amazing in Thailand. They are garbage in America.

The hotel itself is located in an ideal location if u are there to see Bangkok. The hotel is within like 5 blocks walking distance from KhaoSan road (the party street). Taxis and tuktuks roll through the street frequently and there are 7-11s down the street so u can always get snacks, water bottles, beers etc.

The neighborhood is very cool to walk around. The sights and smells of Thailand come out all over the neighborhood, including cart markets that pop up at the surrounding streets. So fun to walk around! As u can tell, I'm very impressed with this place.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank zzaanneezz
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We are started our trip to Thailand in this guest house and it was much more than we expected. The price was very reasonable considering the location and standard of accommodation. But what topped it off was the service. Whenever we returned to the guest house during the day, we were met by the staff and offered either a chilled fruit juice, ice-cream or fresh fruit. They went out of their way to secure us taxis or tuk tuks and made sure to negociate good prices so we wouldn't be scammed. Later on our trip around Thailand we treated ourselves to 4* accommodation but were extremely disappointed, nothing came close to the quality of service we received at Baan Boran!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 2 nights and it was very pleasant, our room was clean and tidy, aircon worked and the staff were extremely helpful with booking taxis and translating for us... We would differently stay here again! Family friendly as well if your traveling with kids! 10 min walk to KOH SAN!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2013

After debating where to stay in Bangkok this time round (4th time back) i am so glad i picked the Baan Boran. Lovely room, really clean and great location literally a five minute walk to the khao San. The staff are what make this place, yes there english isnt great but they will go over and beyond for you, free drinks, fruit and even carried our bags up to our room such lovely girls! Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travellingbarbie
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We stayed here with my boyfriend for three nights during our holiday. Staff was very friendly and nice, their English was poor, but they were trying to understad and made a lot of things extra for us - like, they gave us free fruits, free drinks etc. I recommend to bring anti- mosquitos electric plug, beacuse room was full ot them. Great thing about place is - it extremly quiet. It is close to Khao San road, in a walking distance, but faar away from noise, what is great it crazy Bangkok :) It´s also close to all monuments and historical buildings. Strange thing is a shower in the room - if u travel with friend or father, I am sure u will wait outside of the room until they finish their showering :D u will see... but anyway.. I recommend! Great value. And I almost forgot - staff are little girls, they will clean your room like u even cannot imagine - I was shocked! It´s little bit wierd for western people, but it´s their culture.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ksebea
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My daughter and I stayed here last November and thought it well situated and clean with extremely helpful staff. It is true the road it is situated in is not the easiest to find but it is an ideal base for sight seeing.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 276Memary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangkok
Taris Art Hotel Phrae
#493 of 1,307 in Bangkok
Arom d Hostel
Arom d Hostel
#199 of 1,307 in Bangkok

Been to Baan Boran? Share your experiences!