“Used to be OK but lost it now”

Chu Chocolate Bar & Cafe
Ranked #7 of 219 Dessert in Bangkok
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Cafe, European
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Sukhumvit
Bangkok
“Used to be OK but lost it now”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Grumpy staff, food thrown down and the quality fallen badly. Used to be one of my favourite cafés but it really is one to avoid now.
My last two experiences have been so bad and it's a shame as it is in such a great location.
The staff from the Philippines are still very good but the rest of the crew are miserable and the food is just not to standard anymore.
I hope they get their act together.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
“New look, still great delicacies but lacks an overall ambiance”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Chu Café got bigger. It has been enlarged and now functions as a restaurant. I heard they offer great breakfasts but I most often go there for their amazing pastries and their incredible choice of chocolates. If you just try their chocolate nuggets (for 50B), you'll get a sense of the quality of their chocolate. They do serve good coffee as well. This place is mostly patronized by expats so the prices are a bit high for the country. I only regret that they haven't chosen to decorate the place in a more appealing & comfortable way. It is often a bit dark inside too. But the main reason to go there at this stage is the quality of the food they are serving.

• Visited July 2014
“Nice”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My family and I have been here many times for brunch. So far everything in the breakfast menu that we have tried were really good. Pancakes were my favourite but I didnt like that they charge extra if you want more of the syrup when during our first to second visit they were free it's not that it cost a lot just disappointing due to inconsistency of service. Sausage were delicious too. Service was not bad although it is a bit noisy.

• Visited July 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
“I was really pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I'd been to Chu a number of times for the coffee and the killer dark chocolate soothies, but had passed on the food except for the blueberry muffins. Last week I had an early morning business meeting there and my companion ordered up a meal, so I chose the Norwegian salmon with scrambled egg on toast. It was great. I'm planning more meetings there.

• Visited June 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“At least the coffee was good.”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

After reading great reviews I had high hopes of a great breakfast; soft warm poached eggs, organic ham & delicious coffee.. Perhaps they had a bad day.. They were busy when we arrived mid morning & it was very noisy. Service staff were friendly & helpful, but the 1st dish took 45 minutes & the 2nd was 10 minutes after. Coffees while delicious took a similar time.

The food really wasnt worth the wait & to top it off we were overcharged (they corrected it after some discussion). Would not go back.