“Great budget hotel close to the shopping and all things touristy”

Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Siam
Ranked #179 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I think what most people who write bad reviews of this place do is ignore the fact that this is not meant to be a full service hotel.
This was my umpteenth visit to bangkok and normally i choose to stay in Sukhumvit, but this time I was with a group of friends who picked this hotel and honestly there is nothing to complain about.
If you are young and healthy and want to go out and see the sights, shop and party then this hotel is ideal. A short stroll away from Siam square and the never ending stretch of mall thereafter, and an even shorter walk to the National Stadium BTS station ensure easy connectivity.
The sight seeing can start right next door, since the Jim Thompson House is just down a side lane from the hotel.
The hotel has convenient, fast and free wi-fi, complimentary buffet breakfast in a large and airy 7th floor room and well appointed, albeit smallish rooms with really calm and gorgeous interiors.
The beds were incredibly comfortable, the air-con was effective, the bathroom convenient and clean and the towels new and fluffy.
The hotel has NO bellboys and No room service and NO pool. It does have a gym apparently, but I never saw it since I preferred getting my exercise by walking around the city.
The staff was quite friendly and helpful and the guards at the door were the best!! They always managed to get us taxis, even during rush hour, explained to the drivers where we needed to go helped with luggage and even helped me with all my shopping bags the one day I came back loaded with them.
Are loads of hotels at this price point in bangkok? Yes Definitely.
Is this hotel of international standards? Yes, definitely.
Personally I always pick smaller, non-chain hotels. But this hotel was really perfect for the trip.

Room Tip: Higher floors have more natural light, lesser noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank binnstrips
Sue_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Siam, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Dear binnstrips,

Thank you for your great review. I was delighted to read you had such a wonderful stay and the location for shopping, free wifi, free breakfast and most importantly our good service would bring you back again.

Thanks again for taking the time to write, we really appreciate and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Siam again.

Stay Smart with Us!

Reviewed 14 April 2013

hotel look very clean but a liittle dusty. the staffs is quite friendly but i do not like the breakfast everyday is the same, i stayed there for 4days every morning is the same breakfast if i know i will go to have breakfast outside.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bella221012
Sue_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Siam, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear Bella201012,

Thank you for your recent stay and leaving us with your feedback.We are pleased you liked our service. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry you were not fully satisfied with our free express breakfst bar. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2013

At first, I thought that this hotel will be a great place to stay, since it is under the management of Intercontinental Hotel Group. But apparently, I was totally wrong.
First impression was check in. Upon arrival, only 2 agents were behind the Front Office desk. One was busy handling another guest. another one was just standing (or leaning) by the wall. I notice her name is 'LIN'. She really did not do anything. Just observing. It took me 5 minutes to wait until another agent came from the back office. During check in, this agent (He) asked for my Credit Card and just swiped it away without telling me anything what he would do with my CC (??). After he handed my room keycard and explained about the breakfast, I then asked him what he did with my card, then he answered "for the deposit sir". What if I had not asked?

First room #1815 was nice. spacious and upper floor so we could get great view. everything went well on the 2nd day, after we got back from dinner, we received an announcement under the door telling that in the coming 2 days, the whole level will be shut down for renovation. I then confirmed to the FO and he told me it was true.

I was then told to moved out the #1815 room before the day. Imagine that we had to packed up during the night and prepared everything to moved out the room.

The next morning, we then moved out. and reported to the FO staff (Ms. Natie), she was very nice and she apologized for the inconvenience few times. Not liking the situation, but we started to accept the thing. She appointed us a new room #2011. Reaching the room. It started to torn apart, literally. Aircon made a total cracking noise. Bathroom light was like a club.. on..off.on off.. We felt like we HAD TO report about this condition. And it seems like, FO did not know anything about that condition of the room. No report from engineering? how come?

Then Natie appointed us another room, this time is on the lower floor, room #807. Surprise! Surprise! We got a same type of the room, only somehow smaller. Thanks to the connecting door so we lost the lounge chair. We felt like we HAD To take this room as Natie said no more twin bed room are available.

After settling down our stuffs and luggages (after going up and down..here and there), we decided to talk to the Front Office Manage. Here came Mrs. Gig. A far far far character from her staff, Natie. At first , she did not even apologized about this matter. She was there when I started to complain about room #2011, she acknowledge we were there...complaining.. but did not response to anything. And we were kinda surprised that apparently, she is the FO Manager. Shame! after a little bit being mad, she said "I am sorry for the inconvenience sir. Because......." .. but, the way she said sorry did not reflect her feeling. Smiling and looked somehow force-smiling. Like she is paid to smile. A front office Manager apparently has less manner than her staff. Not willing to prolong the issue anymore, I then told her that I was about to give a bad review.

We got a question wondering. We have a reservation for 4 night, and if they were planning for a renovation, why they still gave us the room on 18th floor at the first time? it was very troublesome and time consuming to pack and moved out the room-report-moved into another room.

Apart of this hotel is a brand new property, they are just falling apart. the rooms are falling apart. Service are very unprofessional. And even a handle bar in the elevator just fall apart.

I won't recommend this hotel to everyone and assure myself not to go back there again. You better choose the Accor managed hotel right next door with better location right in front of National Stadium BTS Station.

Room Tip: ask for a room without the connecting doors
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank MARVELLP0603

Dear MARVELLP0603,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns via Tripadvisor. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

I would like to thank you for providing your feedback on unprofessional service at front desk. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

great location - need to the skytrain; excellent free wifi connection; bigger rooms compared to other hotels in this category. free breakfast - big choice; friendly staff; but limited to no amenities.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MAF118

Dear MAF18,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and endorsement of our great location, free wifi and free breakfast. We are pleased that your stay has exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Siam and stay smart with us for your next visit.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

the holiday inn express is a very nice and clean hotel.linnen was clean and white,bathrooms are very nice.big showers.the hotel is in a great location.breakfast was ok,not much on offer but good for a hotel in this class.we had a good stay.Do try out the massage plane next door!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear lindelange,

Thank you for your great review. I was delighted to read you had such a wonderful stay and the location for shopping and our smart design room would bring you back again.

Stay Smart with Us!
Best regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

The best part of our stay is the location! It's in front of National Stadium BTS train station. And awesome shopping just a few minutes away. The malls were MBK, and Siam Paragon. The streets come to live at night, with live performers and vendors.
The staff are really friendly, and the rooms are very clean and since its a fairly new hotel, everything is in great shape. The free self serve breakfast has a great selection. The coin laundry is really convenient for 100baht per load.
Our only complaint is the smell that came from the bathroom sink in our room. It was horrible, like something died in there. It still haunts us... Lol...we didn't complain about it though, we were only there for 2 nights, and felt that it wasn't a big deal as long as we kept the door closed and held our breath when we were near the sink.
Would I go back again? Definitely!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank CheryllHart

Dear CheryllHart,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us with a candid review. We appreciate your wonderful comment regarding our great location, free wifi, our great service and our free breakfast.
However, I would like to offer a sincere apology on the smell from bath room sink. I fully understand the discomfort this has caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your
next stay as best as it can be.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

This is a really nice, mid-range, new hotel in an excellent part of Bangkok - very central.

Walking distance to all the main shopping centres - MBK, Siam Discovery, Siam Paragon, Central World, Gaysorn & Siam Square as well as lots of restaurants.

The rooms were nice (the hotel is quite new), well sized & had everything we wanted (including wi-fi) & a very good bathroom. The food in the restaurant/bar was good & OK prices for a hotel restaurant.

Am staying here again this July & also later this year in December.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone wanting to go to Bangkok & be central but not be in a seedy area of the city.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Sue_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Siam, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Dear NettsG,

Thank you for your glowing review of the hotel. It was brilliant to read that so many elements of your stay met your needs from our smart design room, free wifi value of money and the fantastic location of the hotel.
We work hard to ensure our guests have the best experience so to hear this in a review like yours is a great boost for our team of which I will share all your wonderful comments.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write and looking forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Siam in July.