“Great stay at Eastin Grand”

Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn
Ranked #10 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Singapore, Singapore
“Great stay at Eastin Grand”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My family of 5 flew in from Hong Kong and stayed with Eastin Grand Sathorn from 16 to 21 June 2012. We were put up on the 16th floor. The rooms were spacious and clean. Additional bed and daily breakfast were given free for our son aged below 16. The location is convenient as the hotel is linked by a skybridge to Surasak BTS station. All of us were given free BTS one day passes for our five nights stay with the hotel.

There is a wide selection for the breakfast buffet. Unfortunately, the breakfast menu remained unchanged during our 5 day stay. It would be great that the menu is changed every day or on alternate days. When we booked the rooms, we were given a one time complimentary lunch which came as a pleasant surprise.

When we checked in, the hotel immediately collected full payment for our five nights stay and a deposit of 1,500 Bahts per night per room upfront. The total amount deducted from my credit card was 40,000 Bahts. We paid for our 5 nights stay fully in cash when we checked out of the hotel but were told by the hotel reception that the 40,000 Bahts charged to my credit card would only be returned to me 2 weeks later. I could not understand why the total amount charged to my credit card could not be returned immediately. This is a negative point for the otherwise great hotel. Other hotels (including hotels in Bangkok) I stayed with, charged my credit card only at the time of my checking out. I feel that Eastin Grand Sathorn should adopt the same practice in the hospitality industry. I am now waiting to see when the amount charged to my credit card will be reversed. Inspite of this drawback, I will still recommend my family, friends, colleagues and business associates to Eastin Grand Sathorn Hotel.

Room Tip: Request for rooms on the higher floors facing the city and river. They have great views both during...
7 Thank Sally_Teh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (854)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I stayed at the property for 3 nights recently. It was a pleasant stay but not a great one. The hotel itself is pretty new ( few months old if I wasn't mistaken). The location is fairly decent, the building is connected to the Surasak BTS sky train station, one stop to Chaopraya River with all the 5 star hotels ( Mandarin Oriental, Shangri La, Millenium Hilton, Peninsula ...) 2 stops to Patpong night market and all the pub, bars, a stop or two further are all the great shopping malls ( Central world, Siam Paragon etc.)
I booked a standard room at a reasonable price ( 60 euro nightly with free wi-fi and buffet breakfast). The room was clean and in great condition with large comfy bed, large window with great Bangkok skyline ( presumably so does many hotels in the region ) , the bathroom/ WC was ok in size ( what I find very odd is that no body lotion provided, I did ask one of the maids, she meant that body lotion is only provided at superior rooms and higher category, and I thought body lotion is standard amenity in hotels around the globe? Guess I was wrong)
In room entertainment was quite poor since it has only one small flat screen tv with limited chanels, but hey! Who comes to BKK to watch tv, eh?
What I did like about the hotel is the nice edge swimming pool on the 14th. And great cutting edge gym ( new and high tech equipments ie. touch screen control with cable, gaes, Internet connection also iPod slot ) Though the hotel elevators should give more details on where things are, you either have to ask the staff or simply guess it.
The hotel has no spa ( shame, really ) but nearby there's Healthland which is inexpensive and provide nice service.
What impressed me most is the staff, most of them were super friendly and have hearts to be in service industry ( take note, Madarin Oriental staff! I kidded of course! Not! ) but at the same time they appeared to be incompetent, incidents, such as
- it took them full 5 min to bring me water at the Aruza bar ( I might got the name wrong though) and few more min to bring the wine and snacks ( note to the staff there...you guys should also provide napkins for guests who has snacks ( against my mom's teaching I used the linen glass cover to clean my hand )
- room service ran out of certain products on in room dinning menu. ( reason they told me was that there were so many guests at the hotel , hmmm )
As I said the hotel has great potential to be one of the fine hotels in BKK but for whatever reason it stops short from doing so. I would definitely recommend this hotel to other travelers. Give it a try and I believe with some trainings for certain staff the hotel will soon give all the big guys around a run for their money.
Note : apart from Blue Elephant next to it, there's no restaurants nearby !?

Room Tip: Try the Healthland near by for massage
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Paull421
, General Manager at Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear Paull421,

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer us constructive feedback on your stay at Eastin Grand Sathorn. We truly appreciate comments that allow us to improve our services where necessary for the benefit of our valued guests.

It was a real pleasure to learn that you consider our staff put their hearts into their job. As always I will pass this on to the staff who genuinely appreciate when their efforts are recognized. I am glad that you found the room and bed to be comfortable and am also pleased to see that you enjoyed the use of our gym and swimming pool as the pool is the talking point of the hotel with its stunning views of Bangkok.

If I may be allowed to address the less positive points you raised and sincerely apologize if they detracted from your stay in any way.

Regarding your conversation with the maid and the lack of body lotion in your room. I must apologize as you were misinformed by our staff and although not part of the standard room setup body lotion and other bathroom amenities are available by contacting the Guest Service Centre via the room phone.

With regards to the size of the flat screen TV. This is a 32” model which is the norm for the vast majority of standard hotel rooms worldwide. I am sorry that the channel selection was not to your liking but am delighted that it did not mar your stay.

Your comment regarding the signage is well noted and we are in the process of attending to this matter at the time of writing with new signage in the elevator.

I have spoken personally to the staff at Azure bar about serving the guests in a timely manner and will be providing napkins for guests’ use when eating the snacks.

I deeply regret that your choice was not available from the room service menu and have taken steps to ensure this does not happen again.

May I say it was a true delight to serve you as our guest and we dearly hope to have the honor of your company in the very near future.

Yours sincerely,

John Westoby
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2012

My wife and members of our family stayed at the Hotel which is located in Sathorn. This hotel is brand new and has all the features a person could want.
The staff were very attentive to our needs, they could'nt have been more helpful.
The fact that the BTS sky train is accessible from the 3rd floor of the hotel was very convenient, it allowed us to explore Bangkok in a fast and effective manner.
Hats off to the executive chef Alan Wichert, his food was incredible, the evening buffets were outstanding and the quality of food was unbelievable, his attention to detail was evident with the food not only tasting fantastic, but the presentation superb!!!
We also dined in one of the hotels private restaurant's Chef Man, the chinese cuisine was very authentic, we were treated to a gastronomical treat, once again I would totally recommend this Hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: All of the rooms were of a high standard, however the A/C could be a little colder.
1 Thank bigfella0405
Asia, Peru
Reviewed 25 June 2012

LOCATION: Direct access to the hotel via a skywalk from the Surasak Skytrain Station.

HOTEL: No greeting from two front desk staff at arrival, one was clearly in training. Room on the upper floor offered a good view of the Mekong River. New, good size room. Decent beds, but uncomfortable pillows. Powerful air-conditioner. Good size bathroom. Good shower. Breakfast a bit bland, but the service was friendly. Slow check-out, not very friendly and again no greeting whatsoever, which was quite unusual here in Bangkok.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank HKasyouare
, General Manager at Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear HKasyouare,

May I begin by thanking you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Eastin Grand Sathorn Bangkok. Your comments are invaluable in allowing us to rectify any problems encountered by our guests and continue to offer a superlative experience for those who stay with us.

I was extremely pleased to learn that overall your experience was a positive one and can only sincerely apologize for the events that marred your stay.

Regarding your comment about the lack of greeting and unfriendliness of the staff upon check-in and check-out. Our front office staff have been highly complemented on their courtesy and service mind and I am both surprised and disappointed that this did not happen in your case. Rest assured I will be looking into this matter personally and taking any necessary action to ensure it does not happen again.

As to your experience with a slow check-out. I fully empathize with the fact that guests do not want to be held up unnecessarily when leaving the hotel therefore I have reiterated to all concerned the need to handle check-out in a professional and expeditious manner.

Once again may I thank you for your input and end by saying we hope to have the pleasure of serving you as our honored guest in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

John Westoby
Tuusula, Finland
Reviewed 19 June 2012

My family and I were in Bangkok for two nights and had chosen Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn. Hotel is very new and modern. It is well located in the Sathorn business area and has its own Sky bridge linked to the Surasak BTS station which was very convenient. Our room price also included free BTS one-day passes for every guests .

We had booked two connecting Superior double rooms (king and twin) but when we arrived to the hotel, half an hour before official check-in time, we were informed that one of the rooms was not ready yet but it should be soon and we would receive a call when it was ready. That was fine with us as the other one of the rooms was already available. A couple of hours later we had still not received a phone call regarding our room so we left for shopping and when we arrived back at the hotel a few hours later, the room was finally ready. Surprisingly, it was a little smaller than the twin room and had a very strong smell of cigarrettes :(. It was the only negative point, otherwise we were very pleased with the rooms. They were beautifully decorated with fresh and modern design and equipped with luxury amenities. Beds were really comfortable with quality linens and bathroom well appointed. We stayed on 27th floor with fantastic views over the BKK skyline.

The lobby area was nice, trendy and neat. The hotel has a lovely and impressive pool area with amazing views !! We loved the buffet breakfast. It had a good selection of food for all tastes and everything was very good quality! The staff in the hotel was very friendly, polite and attentive. All in all, we had a wonderful and a memorable stay at Eastin Grand Sathorn hotel and I would recommend it to everyone looking for a great affordable hotel in Bangkok. This is fabulous !!!

4 Thank Terhi A
Lanzarote, Spain
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We stayed at the end of May as a stopover returning from Australia, looking for peace & quiet, with a touch of luxury, so had requested an Executive room, with Club Access.
On arrival we were welcomed like friends and whisked up to the Executive Floor Reception by Nu (Guest Service Manager) who we recognised from our many visits to the Anantara (formerly Marriot) Riverside, whats more she remembered us also ! We would very much like to thank everyone who made our stay a wonderful experience. So to Ros (Club Level manager, also ex. Anantara) Ball, Aek,Fang, Pear and Susi and quite a few others, whose names I have sadly forgotten , from the Club Lounge and the cheerful and helpful girls & boys from the Pool bar & restaurant, a big thankyou. Special thanks to Nu/Noo and her boss Emmy. See you all soon, we hope!

Room Tip: The corner rooms have incredible views, ask for the Chao Phraya side, 25th floor & upwards. Stun...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I am checking out tomorrow and have spent three days here. I am a frequent traveller to parts of Thailand and am familiar with quite a few places here. This is probably the best hotel I have stayed in Bangkok and there are many reasons for this. The location is perfect, the Sarasak BTS station has its own bridge entrance to the hotel and guests are given full day passes for this. This is a very convenient service. The Surasat station is on the Silom line and a few stops connects you to anywhere in Bangkok. The check in was effortless, we were upgraded and I stayed in a corner room 2521. The hotel is new and everything works perfectly. What is especially pleasant is the language proficiency from most of the staff and the eagerness to help was endless. The bathroom was very big with free standing big bathtub and if the screens are up you can turn the lights off and enjoy the view while taking a long bath with the very nice milk baths on offer. The shower is big and if I must moan about something it's the water pressure but then I difficult to please in this area. The bed was massive king+++ and very comfortable. We ordered room service very late one night, burgers and club sandwiches.....perfect in every way. The room is very functional, lots of plugs where they should be, free WIFI which actually works and is fast and great views from bedroom. The breakfast is very nice and the selection is enough for all tastes. Service is great and the coffee very good. Pool very impressive, I give this 11/10 and will without doubt stay here again.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family