“Would happily stay here again”

Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn
Ranked #11 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Melbourne, Australia
“Would happily stay here again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

The Eastin Grand was great, I highly recommend it, we wanted a hotel close to the Chao Praya river and the sky train and one that wasn’t exorbitantly priced. The Eastin is excellent value for money. We stayed for 3 nights from December 28 to Jan 31 2013 in two connecting rooms (family of 3 with a 12yr old son). The rooms were large enough but I’m glad I chose to book two rooms as adding a third bed in one room would seem a little squeezed. The beds were very comfortable, the bathrooms large, shower head and water pressure very good and the view from the rooms over the sky rail, roads and buildings to the river beyond was great. Housekeeping was excellent; the buffet breakfast was very good with lots of choices to suit all tastes. The highlight is the infinity pool on the 14th floor. After a very swift check in at about 9.30pm (heaven after about 10 hours travelling from Melbourne) we left our bags in our rooms and had a drink at the bar overlooking the pool and the spectacular lights of Bangkok.

The hotel has a direct link via overpass the sky rail – which is incredibly convenient and very easy to use; I would stay at this hotel in future just for this. We used the sky rail to get about with no trouble whatsoever, the trains arrive very couple of minutes, air-conditioned, super clean and very cheap; the views of Bangkok are fantastic.

The customer service provided by hotel staff was excellent. I emailed the hotel prior to our stay to request an airport pick up and received a reply with excellent instructions and even a diagram of where to go after passing through immigration within an hour or two. The driver was waiting for us on arrival and the drive took about 30 – 40 mins. Check in and check out was super-efficient. All in all an excellent choice and I would happily stay here again should we come back to Bangkok

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bek_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed here for 9 nights.

The good
Wonderful hotel, modern, clean and 5 star.
Walkway to the sky train...this gets you to all the major centers. Budget 50Baht a day for train travel. Get a rabbit card if you are there for more than a day. This works out cheaper than individual day passes.
Wonderful staff
Lovely pool, with a great view and shallow pool area for kids to splash around in.
Excellent food
Right next door to the famous Blue Elephant restaurant.

The bad
I'm struggling to find anything bad about this hotel. If I was to be really picky I would say that I requested a table in the restaurant at the pool, which was closed. It was so hot outside that I wanted to get out of the sun while I had lunch. Despite the restaurant being empty they weren't able to allow me to sit there. No biggie to me really..I sat at the bar instead.

To sum it up, stay here!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anoushka I
Foxboro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here with my daughter. We liked the hotel very much. Staff was very helpful,and friendly. Excellent breakfast. Rooms clean and spacious. The concierge arranged a private tour which was great. The driver was very knowledgable. Would return.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3nights with friends En route to Phuket. We usually stay at the Shangri-la. We stayed in the upgraded room with access to the lounge. Well worth the extra as on a short whistle stop,visit to the city it gives a comfortable quiet haven after a busy day visiting the sites and shopping. We took breakfast downstairs on the first morning where the choice was extensive but it was very busy and a bit noisy so the next mornings we took breakfast in the lounge very tranquil and more than enough choices. The cocktail hour nibbles and drinks were amazing very potent Mai tai! I would highly recommend this hotel for comfort, value service and location. The pool was small and as other reports mention it gets busy also noisy early evening with traffic and whistle blowing!
If you like a touch of luxury I would recommend the lounge. Compares well to the Shangri -la only one sky train back and great views of the river. Direct access to the sky train very convenient.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dragoncymru
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn is a brilliant hotel and excellent value for money. The lobby is grand, stylish and creates a positive first impression. All staff were welcoming and the lobby receptionist catered to our wishes in a polite, welcoming and efficient manner.

Our room was extremely warm when we entered it for the first time - I think the hotel could ideally switch the air conditioning on beforehand. The air con was relatively slow getting going, but once at the appropriate temperature, was fine.

Large, comfortable beds and a spacious enough, and clean bathroom created an excellent impression, as did the flat screen TV and quick wifi. Floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Chaophraya River and lebua were spectacular and make for great photos.

The pool area, for a city centre hotel, is one of, if not the best I have ever been to. Although not particularly large, it is big enough and has plenty of comfortable sofas, beds, lounges etc around it. The fact it is an infinity pool and on a reasonably high floor gives it a spectacular view and has an amazing ambience, particularly at night and when wanting to cool down after a long flight.

Breakfast was excellent and although not masses of western options (it is in Thailand after all!!), I would say there were more than enough, alongside the local delicacies.

In terms of location, this is a relatively business type district, although there are plenty of bars and eateries, just a short (10-15mins) taxi / tuk tuk ride away, whilst not being akin to the options available at somewhere like Sukhumvit, they are still more than sufficient. In terms of high end, there are plenty of spectacular rooftop bars and restaurants, including lebua and Banyan Tree within 5-10mins via tuk tuk (possible to walk, albeit depending on whether you can face the heat!). One recommendation, traffic can be particularly bad around here and we found tuk tuks were quicker at snaking around the traffic, as opposed to being sat stuck in a taxi.

Taxi fare from the airport on the metre was about 300-400 THB incoming and 300THB on the return, including the highway tolls - this journey took about 40mins. Ensure the drivers do turn the metre on immediately, as they will often try and agree a fixed price, that will be higher than the metre rate (albeit often not by a great deal).

There is also a mini-mart within about a 30 metre walk, coming left out of the hotel. This is ideal if wanting to stock up on Singha etc for a fraction of the hotel price (which are still not excessive relative to western standards).

Overall, I would thoroughly recommend Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn and give it a solid 9/10. For about 65GBP, this more than lived up to our expectation and the equivalent hotel in somewhere like London, New York, Paris etc would set you back a minimum 200GBP (and often much more!) a night.

Room Tip: We requested a room on a high floor with a view on check-in. Whether by luck or otherwise, we were s...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank cvieri32
Mississauga,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent as it is connected to the Surasak BTS station by a sky bridge. My friend and I stayed in a twin room for 4 days in January 2014. The room was spacious. However, housekeeping didn't replenish towels in our room for a couple of days (they took away our old towels though). We had to call to get fresh towels. When the housekeeping staff delivered the towels, she didn't look very happy.

The buffet breakfast was EXCELLENT.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

-room(upgraded): small, smelly and worn out
-staff: good
-nice pool and view
-breakfast: excellent! a lot of good choices and active staff!
-location: direct access from skytrain but far from city center

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cris_CEurope
EGS_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Cris_CEurope,

Greetings from Eastin Grand Sathorn Bangkok.

May I say how pleased I was to read your positive comments regarding your stay with us. I was especially delighted to learn that you consider us to provide the best breakfast in Bangkok given the stiff competition we face. I will pass on your kind comment to my Executive Chef for him to share with his team.

I was extremely concerned that the upgraded room we offered you was “small, smelly and worn out” and must offer my sincere apologies over this. At Eastin Grand Sathorn our rooms undergo a year-round constant care programme to ensure they are in optimum condition to accommodate guests. If you could kindly find the time to contact me via gmadmin@eastingrandsathorn.com with the details of your stay and some in-depth observations regarding your room I would greatly appreciate it in allowing us to investigate matters, especially the aroma, as we have not received any similar comments of this nature.

If I may politely reply to two of the points you raised. The size of our rooms are of the same dimensions to be found in all international class deluxe hotels in Bangkok in our sector of the market and in some cases ours are larger.

I regret that our location was not as convenient as you would have wished but as you mentioned when using the sky train directly linked to the hotel the main shopping district at Siam is less than ten minutes away with the river and its famous palaces and temples being less than five minutes in the other direction. The majority of our guests seem to prefer this as it allows them a more central base from which to explore all Bangkok’s attractions with ease.

May I end by saying that I look forward to hearing from you soon with your invaluable feedback.

Yours sincerely,