“Below average”

Neighbourhood: Sukhumvit
Wellington, New Zealand
“Below average”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Emporia is the restaurant for a hotel trying to be a first class international hotel. For their hotel restaurant to serve Chinese food plus a smattering of other options from the room service menu was strange.

I ordered a Thai vegetarian noodle dish. It took a lot of effort to explain that I wanted tofu in my dish, the waitress kept repeating "Thai food", which sounds similar. My noodles were average, but the tofu was a strange type that tasted burnt. My wife's burger was pronounced average. The waiting staff were doing their best, and were very attentive (perhaps a little too attentive).

We had a buffet breakfast at the restaurant as part of our hotel package. The breakfast was above average for a buffet, especially the freshly cooked omelettes and pastries, the other options were welcome, standard, and all-together not too bad but nothing to write home about. The breakfast buffets at the other hotels were stayed at in Thailand offered a variety of tea and coffee options, but this hotel restaurant did not and to get a English breakfast tea we had to pay extra which seemed a little petty given the cost of the rooms and the effort of putting a tea bag in hot water. The following day we did not bother and instead bought a drink at a cafe.

• Visited March 2014

• Korean first
  • Thai first
“not as good”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Went there after reading some good reviews but I must say it’s not as good as described. Getting there is already a challenge as the restaurant is on the 25 th floor of the emporium hotel and that’s not easy to find coming from the bts into the mall attached. Since I stayed here once I knwe my way around. Arriving at the restaurant there was no one to great or welcomes me; I had to ask several waiters who did not speak English where I could sit. Finally a lady dressed in black seated me on a window sit. The restaurant itself would need some serious overhaul. Furniture is old and materials are worn out, and with only 4 more tables occupied, I think they run out of business. Communicating with the waitresses was also quiet challenging. I order an apple juice and got a mango juice? However it was quickly exchanged into an apple juice. The food however was excellent I must say, the Chinese chef seem to know what he is doing. On Thai manager in black suit passed once through the restaurant but not interacting with any guests, seems he knew what answers he will get if enquire about the experience. The restaurant is nothing to drag about; there are much better places in town then this one.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank pwongtana
Seoul, South Korea
“Incredible lunch”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We had booked the seats for lunch at the Emporia and were not disappointed. It was a great lunch and really enjoyed it very much. The food was absolutely amazing, tasty and yummy. The view was gorgeous and all staff were very friendly that it was not enough words to describe. We will be back again.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank suzykim
Metro Manila, Philippines
“Womderful Chinese Restaurant”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Definitely an impressive chinese restaurant with an stunning view of Bangkok. Food was excellent and the setting was elegant. The price is also high but you get what you pay for including great service.

5 Thank MakatiJoe
florida
“IF YOU LOVE DIM SUM...STOP READING AND GO HERE”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I chase dim sum all over asia. You won't find a better value in all of bangkok than the dim sum buffet here! All you can eat and I have eaten it all. The fried shrimp are wonderful. Hot and sour soup is great. All of the steamed dim sum is fresh and made to order, not previously frozen. The cantelope ice for desert makes you loosen your belt and make room. They won't flinch if you order 10 items per person. Don't forget the duck or the fried rice. Both excellent and would hold up well in Hong Kong or Macao. Go here early during your stay so you have time to go back again and again.

It is located up the elevator of the emporium suites to floor EL. If you are facing the Emporium from Sumkumvit road, then you have to walk around the building to the right, past the banks. Go in the high class entrance of the Emporium Suites and go to the lifts. Then select floor EL.

Thank me later...go NOW.