“Sexy Stylish Brunch!”

VIU
Ranked #540 of 10,828 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Inspired by the Traditional New York Bistro, VIU embraces captivating views of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club, and beyond. By day, the inviting restaurant offers a bright, sunny environment that recalls the grace and character of a stately home. If you are in the mood for a deliciously indulgent morning meal, enjoy our special Astor Champagne breakfast with offerings such as Moët Chandon, Banana Mascarpone French Toast and freshly squeezed fruit smoothies. Or, you may wish to order from the St. Regis breakfast menu, with selections from eggs cooked to order and house made breads and jams to Asian-style offerings, including sashimi and sushi and wok-fried egg noodles. We also offer a full Continental breakfast, including espresso drinks, fresh fruits, yogurts, exquisite pastries and breakfast basics, including bacon and scrambled eggs. Our lunch features an interactive dining concept with eight live stations. Start with a healthy salad, cold cuts and freshly baked breads before indulging in a main course from our daily selection of Western and Thai specials, accompanied by a fresh selection of pasta, and finally end the meal with our mouthwatering desserts. By night, sheer drapes and dimmed lighting transform VIU into a favored destination for its internationally influenced menu and seductive ambiance, clearly meant for elegant dining. The restaurant's focal point is a rustic European farmhouse style kitchen framed by rough stone. Ceiling beams and a stone slab floor add to the rustic feel. White stone-topped tables are set for two or four diners with options easily arranged for larger groups. Brightly colored table mats are changed according to the time of day to match the red and cream colored upholstered chairs. For dinner, VIU offers signature starters such as the Akami Saku Tuna Tartar where the wasabi is created as a crisp wafers rather than paste, and for our rendition of the Caesar Salad - Grilled Romaine, Crisp Parma Ham, the lettuce is grilled with Parma ham. For the main courses, Chef Matthew recommends The St. Regis Maine Lobster Thermidor, the Blackmore 500 Day Wagyu Grain Fed Skirt, and the 24 Hour Wagyu Beef Short Rib with Bloody Mary Butter which is a perfectly slow-cooked short rib that is accompanied with our interpretation of Café de Paris Butter. Among the sandwiches, one must experience the Classic Rueben Sandwich and The St. Regis Rossini Burger and among the Thai dishes, the highlights include the Spicy Thai Green Papaya Salad with Crisp School Shrimps, the Seared White Scallops with Salted Egg Sauce and the Wok-Fried Pad Thai Noodles with Tamarind glazed Maine Lobster, each offering robust, honest and full flavors. A wide selection of new and old world wines as well as fine, handcrafted cocktails complement the perfect VIU dining experience.
Singapore, Singapore
“Sexy Stylish Brunch!”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

You can truly expect the best here at VIU for champagne brunch nothing less. Service is attentive already a plus point after the amazing spread of fine seafood bar offering amazing fresh and creamy oysters, fat prawns and alaskan crab legs to the sunday roasts, peking duck and sushi bar. The cold cuts section boasts iberico pork to the finest selection of prosciutto and hams. Oh and the soups - 3 types of creamy and clear. The variety of stews, both local (curried) and european will ensure no traveller is homesick. For the mains, you can choose from dishes serving up meats or fish. The martini selection is also novel with expresso martini or a red snapper (!) ; too kitschy. In the end, I left out the cheeses and opted for the desserts to accompany my bottomless champagne. We had a table for 10 with a spectacular view of the golf course and the horseracing racing track. The resident saxophonist also added to the atmosphere of a true sunday brunch. Don't leave Bangkok without treating yourself at VIU.

• Visited July 2013
5 Thank Sweetiemine

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
“Sunday Brunch is WAY Below Expectations :-(”
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Viu was the latest stop in my search for the best Sunday brunch buffet Bangkok has to offer. I went there with very high expectations, having read great reviews about it. The high price tag also implies that this place must really offer one of the best brunches in the city. As it turned out though, Viu's brunch is now tie for the worst hotel brunch in Bangkok with Renaissance's Flavors.

The brunch here starts at 12:30 P.M., which is probably the latest start for a brunch anywhere in the world. But I knew that going in so I won't take any points off for that. Upon arrival, we were informed of the bad news that there won't be any lobsters cuz the seafood shipment didn't come in. Ugh! One of the most expensive items was gone right of the bat. Sensing our hesitations to go ahead with the meal there, the assistant F&B director showed up and offer us a consolation lobster from a SECRET stash. Cool. But since lobsters weren't the main highlights at Viu, we were able to quickly move past that initial disappointment.

I went on to look at the menu and found out that most of the exotic items I read about in the reviews like venison, pheasant, and monk fish were no longer on offer. WTF. Weren't those the highlights everyone talked about in their reviews? Sensing our second wave of hesitations, our helpful waitress told us that some of those items can still be secretly ordered off the menu. Why were so many food hiding in secret?

Things never recover from there. The meat dishes we ordered all had the wrong doneness. The cold seafood line got refilled with inferior products than at the beginning. The varieties of the food on offer were clearly not in the same league as other top hotels' offerings. And the overall quality of the food just wasn't there. For example, the beef stew was tough like beef jerky. The rice was dried and crusty from the heat lamps, the roast beef was full of sinews, and the breads didn't taste any better than what you could get at a supermarket. The list goes on.

Can it get any worse you ask? Apparently so! The desserts--the last chance to salvage this whole fiasco--were pathetic. 3 cakes and a bunch of lollipops plus a chocolate fountain is not what you expect to find at a grand buffet charging a hundred U.S. dollars a pop like this place. Good thing we weren't celebrating anything significant there at Viu, otherwise the disappointment might be even greater.

All in all, the only good thing that can be said about this place is the view. We got a table right by the windows and a view of the nearby horse racecourse was beautiful. Good luck if you got seated anywhere else!

Some notable final thoughts:

1. The assistant F&B director disappeared right after he offered us the lobster, never to be seen again for the duration of our visit. Weird.

2. The helpful waitress that let us order off the menu also disappeared after she told us that. Although I did catch a few glimpses of her serving guests in other sections.

3. The servers rarely came by to take our orders or check on us. My old plates were always there when I came back after getting more food. Many times I had to go look for someone to take my order, and once I found them, they would tell me to go back to my seat and wait some more for them to go take my order from there!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Patanarerk C
Karachi, Pakistan
“Great Views of the Bangkok Sports Club”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Nice restaurant and staff is very polite, however, their language/comprehension skills could be improved.
Lavish breakfast buffet is certainly a highlight.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Syed Fahim I
Bangkok
“Best Sunday Brunch in town”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I returned to Viu Sunday brunch to celebrate a friend's birthday. As I hadn't been there for a while, I was really looking forward to it. The last time there, the food was great but the service disappointing. I am happy to say this time the food was even better than I remembered, and the service was greatly improved.

The hotel has increased the proved by a few hundred baht, but now it not only includes cocktails but also a free flow of wine : a selection of whites and reds, as well as a really good prosecco. We certainly got out money's worth!

The food is amazing! Starting on the seafood section, there are fresh mussels, crab, squid and oysters, oysters, and more oysters! There are also a variety of mini seafood cocktails to try. There is also a great Thai buffet as well as several roasts and oven-baked fish. Main courses are presented on a menu and cover a broad spectrum. Foie gras, Singaporean chiili crab, lobster thermidor, lobster sashimi and a lot more. There was even a fun foie bar that included foie macaroons as well as other interpretations of foie to make it look like cookies and candy.

I didn't get around to desserts and cheese, but it is there in abundance.

Without doubt, Viu is the best Sunday brunch in town! Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank BMF60
Taipei
“a great way to start your day”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My husband and I stayed in St. Regis, Bangkok 2 years ago. Since we chose another hotel to stay this time, we decided to go back to Viu for breakfast to refresh our memories. As before, Viu has a great selection of breakfast buffet. The service there was the best in Bangkok or anywhere. We had staff remembered us from 2 years ago. Who can have such good memories? In the end, the waiter asked us if we had a SPG membership card. We said yes, but didn't have it with us. He offered to look up our e-mail address to get the SPG number and gave us a 15% discount. On our next trip to Bangkok, I will not stay anywhere else other than St. Regis.

• Visited April 2013