“Great food and atmosphere”
Review of Snapper New Zealand - CLOSED

Snapper New Zealand
Cuisines: Seafood, New Zealand
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sukhumvit
Description: A New Zealand culinary experience. We have a huge range of sustainable wild catch NZ Fish & Seafood, Free range pasture fed NZ Lamb, NZ Beef & NZ Venison. We have NZ Chips, NZ peas and we use only NZ butter & cream. All our sauces and conserves are homemade, as is our ice cream, breads, sausages, bacon, all our deserts etc. - basically we make everything in house ourselves. We even smoke all our own seafood & bacon using NZ native Manuka wood. To top it all off we stock the largest range of NZ wines in Thailand and have great range of NZ beers & ciders. This is your "one night in New Zealand" - Please enjoy / He pārekareka ki tēnā
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Food is all from New Zealand and they relish in preparing your food how you might like as you can choose the type of cooking batters and even down to the style and shape of your chips!

The draw back of this type of menu customization is that communication can be challenging. I have been a few times and the service is always eventful although the staff a always been accommodating to fix any mix ups.

Glenn C, Manager at Snapper New Zealand, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thanks for the nice comments and point taken re the menu and some communication issues. We have a great group of staff and what they may lack in English comprehension they sure make up for in attitude. Thanks again

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I'm really surprised by the rave reviews on here but maybe it was just our selections and the fact that I had just returned from Queenstown that skewed my judgement. Anyway:

The high points

Excellent service, prompt and attentive at all times.
Nice place, clean and good location on Soi 11

The low points:

Just terrible tasting green lipped muscles in white wine sauce. I'm sorry but Kiwis please chime in, these were good size, looked good but the sauce was just plain butter sauce with a splash of wine, not tasty at all.

We didn't bother to order more food after that experience.

The wine

Finally (I thought) a place with a good list of NZ Pinot Noir wines, yep their list was fine but they serve their red wines at really cold temperatures, I mean colder than a cold white wine. I cannot imagine any wine drinker not calling them out on this, I had to wait 20min for the glass to warm up to drink it.

So, for me I wouldn't go back, maybe the fish and chips are good but I can get that at almost any pub. What I really wanted was some good NZ food and wine and this place was a big disappointment. Which is to bad I would most likely have been one of their regulars.

2  Thank ThaiSanook

Thanks for the review,
We are always working hard on providing good service so we appreciate your comments there, and you are right, the fish and chips are 'good'. Shame you didn't get to try them after the mussels which regretfully you found disappointing? The butter and white wine sauce is designed to let the mussels talk for themselves, we do serve them in less 'plain' styles too
Wine - Its quite common in tropical countries to serve thin skinned grape varieties such as Pinot Noir slightly chilled, our cellar temperature is 4 to 5 degrees c, but we understand this can be a foreign concept to some.
Thanks again
Glenn Collier

Reviewed 2 July 2014

we were not sure what to expect - but all in all we are pleased we had the experience. The food was good and also a good wine selection...

We are glad your lack of expectations was met with our usual level of great food, wine and service. Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 30 June 2014

You don't get asked if the food you order were for starters and get served starters first and in turn served your mains when you finished your starters in other places especially in restaurants in my country. Snapper did just that! My friends were impressed with it. Of course food plays a important part of the evening we had and we really enjoyed the seafood we ordered. From tiger prawns to calamari, scallops to fish it's not too oily and the serving size is just right for occasions whereby friends gather and reminiscence. May not be a good place for a romantic dinner unless the couple are comfortable when the crowd drops in.

A must go place even though it's not local Thai food in the land of Thailand.

Great stuff, a pleasing review. We have a wonderful FOH team who received your comments at their briefing gratefully. You may also have noticed we have a mezzanine floor for those more 'romantically' inclined diners. Thank you again

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Snapper is a really good, honest seafood restaurant that delivers on food quality, wine list, and service. The wine list, which is pretty much all New Zealand wines, is extensive and the prices are reasonable when compared to other restaurants in Bangkok.

I would recommend the seafood platter for two - it offers a selection of mussels, fried fish, rollmops, and a whole lot more. The tuna tartare is also worth ordering. But the highlight has to be the fried fish and thick cut chips. The batter is crisp and the fish moist.

Snapper is decorated as an homage to the New Zealand fishing industry, and it works. The atmosphere is casual yet quite smart. Service is very professional and friendly. Highly recommended.

'Best fish and chips in town' We agree, and thank you for taking the time to compile a well thought out and written review. You touched on most aspects of what a good restaurant offers and should be where so many just focus on a couple of negatives. Thank you once more