“robbed by sushi blade”

Neighbourhood: Silom
Kihei, Hawaii
“robbed by sushi blade”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

just kidding on the title but felt we were jipped here big time. craving for some Japanese cuisine I went again to TA. Edoya only had 4 reviews that were written well, I was sold. my gf picked a place in Siam Paragon but I trumped her. she got me this time for sure though. we both didn't like the food. ordering two set dishes, a 1600 baht sashimi set and a 1400 baht sushi set. thats a 100 dollars right there, candy if its quality fish. not so tonight. the preparation was surely there but super sad flavors tonight. OK there was torro on the sashimi set but they were three stringy pieces. I did get a hinder of what I like out of torro but it was swift and gone. the ahi (yellowfin tuna) was so bland it made for the worst on the plate. the yellow tail (hamachi) passed but again lacking that taste. sad to say the scallops on this set were the best, nice and sweet. if you look at my pic you see 8 nice choices of sashimi, here my picture gives too much credit for this dish. the Ikura (salmon roe) was fine as well as the clams. what I did appreciate on this set was all the chiso leaves and fresh ground wasabi.
getting over the woes of our sashimi we were optimistic on the sushi set we ordered. the picture looked so great on the menu and for 1400 baht figured quality cuts were comming. NOPE, the magurro looks the best but I cant say. they served me mentaiko when it looks like uni in the menu pic. the ika (squid) always a cheap cut but a fave of mine tasted like a baby squid you would get at any Big C and seemed to be on its last day or two. ika is an easy pleasure for many and cheap to find, big booo on that one guys.
wanted to get the aji (Spanish mackeral) sashimi mixed but un available tonight so opted for an order of magurro instead. blah blah but just OK. now not just beating them up all night we did find salvation in the hamachi kama (yellowfin collar). grilled perfect and saltyness again perfect, very nice and fatty. we both agreed. one beer one hot green tea (refillable) and one bottle water to complete the meal. 4200 baht. I would of gladly paid double this for quality fish. I feel I know my fishies and quality and just not up to par as places in Tokyo as I read in a previous review. so if my rating seems cruel I just wanna be fair and maybe management will look into the quality or maybe we were just here on the wrong night. honestly we still need to get our Japanese cuisine fix in after this so it is what it is. service is fine and always like the hellos and goodbyes from all the staff in Nihongo.

• Visited June 2012

• Polish first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
“Excellent”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

It's always a good sign when a Japanese restaurant is full of Japanese expats. Food was great, service was laid-back but always there when needed. I got into a big conversation with 2 salarymen sitting near me and we knocked back more than a few bottles of sake, which probably went a long way to contributing to this good review :D I'll be back!

• Visited April 2012
Bangkok
“Wow! Great Japanese, Great Menu, Great Service”
Reviewed 24 November 2011

I'm almost afraid to review this place, since I don't want to spoil what seems to be one of the best-kept secrets of the Japanese expat community in Bangkok. In recent years, so many new Japanese restaurants have opened in central Bangkok from chains and franchises to little places with flag-covered entrances that seat 5 people. it's hard to know which ones offer good food, and which ones can back up their food with responsive service. I sometimes fear to enter Japanese restaurants in Bangkok since Fuji and Zen make it so easy to order decent Japanese food and some of the Japanese places aren't so customer friendly. You have to know about Japanese food before you walk in, other you're faced with a bewildering maze of strange names (I can not tell Yakinuku from Udon).
If you get a little intimidated by Japanese food, then Edoya is a great place- they have this amazingly broad menu (not always a good sign) and the food was consistently marvelous. Every dish we received (more than 9 for the three of us) showed signs of meticulous preparation. Our diligent and responsive server helped to identify ample offerings for the vegetarian in our group. The tempura was great, and fried chicken was crispy and succulent. We had several salads, which were varied and had different and tasty dressings.
The service was excellent...our server (Thai lady in a kimono) was knowledgeable about the menu, answered our questions (in Thai), and helped us make selections. By itself, that puts Edoya head and shoulders above 90% of the restaurants in Bangkok.
The bill for three (including several pitchers of Asahi draft) was B2600. I will definitely be going back to Edoya.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank supakorn
Tuscany
“This is my favorite Sushi Restaurant in South East Asia!”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Almost a decade ago I found by chance this restaurant hidden in a business/commercial building in one of the main road of central Bangkok: Rama 4. It is mostly attended by Japanese business men working or visiting the town. The staff is mostly Thai but all fluent in Japanese language. This place soon became my favorite Japanese restaurant in town and every time I stopped or passed by Bangkok I just couldn't miss it. I'm passionate about Japanese cuisine and everywhere I travelled in the world I always try the "local" version. Well, Edoya in Bangkok is one of the best I ever tried, competing with the most reputed Tokyo sushi restaurants. Not only the staff is very friendly (combining the Thai proverbial kindness with the Japanese polite manners) but the food is outstandingly fresh, well prepared and presented. And all this without spending a fortune! I'm surprised this restaurant didn't have any reviews on TripAdvisor despite being always booked but I guess this is one of those hidden gems jealously kept secret.

• Visited January 2011