“The best Peking Duck in the world!”
Review of Mei Jiang

Mei Jiang
Ranked #521 of 10,774 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hong Kong
“The best Peking Duck in the world!”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

When I say this, most people would say I must have been starving at the time. I would like to qualify my claim.

1) If you like Peking duck without the fat.
2) If you like Peking Duck with both the skin and the duck meat, not just skin.
3) If you like the skin crispy crisp and tasty!

Then the Peninisula Bangkok delivers and more! Great sauce, great crepe and the great Peninsula service (that part's free even if you do not eat there).

I had the Peninsula Bangkok duck close to 10 years ago and always thought it was really great back then; and I live in HK! On my trip to Bangkok this time, I made a sudeen spur of the moment decision to go for the duck for lunch. We made it to the Mei Jiang restaurant (temporary located in aother location on the ground floor while it is being refubished) at 2:15pm. The restaurant hostess politely indicated last order is at 2:30. I said 'no problem' and was promptly taken to a table facing the river. We ordered some dim sum, which was also delicious and asked about whether I could have half portion of the Peking Duck. It was her turn to say 'No problem!'.

And it was absollutely superb. Even better than I last remembered! The slice the duck skin with meat, then separate the meat from the skin and take off all the fat before putting the skin and meat together! Viola, the healthiest and tastiest Peking Duck in the world!

My only suggestion for improvement - place the crepe wraps in a bamboo covered container and keep it over a heated steamer to prevent the crepe from cooling and drying. A dish this good needs to be enjoyed not rushed. Although, in our case, we finished everything before 3pm! Loving every minute of it. Thanks, Peninsula Bangkok, for another great dining memory.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Foodom

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Thailand
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 24 November 2011

was there with a friend for lunch. The hotel is already so quiet and somewhat eerie as the music was switched off the few staff and people around were sort of whispering...No exaggeration!
Anyway walked down to the restaurant from the Lobby and the hostess almost jumped on me to ask if I had a reservation. I understand that she has a procedure to follow but perhaps the management could train to for a more positive approach. I might accept it if there was a queue of people to get in.
The staff at the restaurant were uninterested and aloof. A male staff was almost crossing the border to being impolite.
The food was mediocre and compared to so many Chinese restaurants across the river with easy access, this wasn't something that I would recommend.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank mikeinbangkok
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“Saving the best for last”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

When in BKK, I always stay at The Peninsula. No other hotel achieves more kindness, luxury and convenience as The Peninsula.
As for dining in BKK there are so many options. Traditionally, I always reserve the Mei Jiang for my last night in the City of Angels.
I was surprised it was not in the Tripadvisor listing, as it is the best chinese restaurant in BKK. Everything is heaven: service, smile, decor and most important, the quality and taste of the food. Dining alone is never a pleasure (thank god for room service...), but here you are extra pampered by the courteous staff.
Just experience it for yourself, you will not regret it!

• Visited September 2011