“Best Chinese”

Mei Jiang
Ranked #546 of 10,706 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Barcelona, Spain
“Best Chinese”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I have been couple of times at this restaurant, both times for lunch. The restaurant is located at the Peninsula Hotel, a lovely place by the River, which choosing this restaurant for your dinning pick could be a small excursion from wherever you are to the BTS station on the river and take the small boat that Peninsula provides to the hotel. I find it a good excuse to do a small stroll/river excursion.

I must say that so far after trying almost every high end chinese restaurant in Bangkok this is my favorite one. Dim Sum is excellent, Fried Crispy Egg noodles with Sea Food in oyster sauce is amazing, fried rice is very good, the Duck is the best I ve tried in Bangkok, (i love the duck to be served together skin and meat) and the service is very good too.

Overall I really enjoy this restaurant, as I say the location makes it even more charming. I recommend anyone to visit this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
“So Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I was looking for a good hotel restaurant to host my mother's birthday in August and this was my top choice from previous visits several years ago.

There are certain basic things you expect from a restaurant located in a hotel like Peninsular. Good Service, Great Chinese Food, and proper plating of the food. Not sure if it was the wedding party upstairs or not that took all the resources from Mei Jiang but it was so disappointing, we decided by the time the 3rd plate arrived at our table that we can forget this restaurant for my Mother's Birthday.

Have to ask to change our plates everytime, it is quite standard in any even 3 star restaurant to do this.

Have to ask to add tea.

Food presentation was horrendous. Nothing was plated on a serving dish only on dinner plates. No presentation.

Our Peking duck was ok but really nothing special, and our wraps were lukewarm, and I guess we were suppose to have 2 plates which they forgot to serve us the second plate of the wraps until the minced duck portion came. Which you wrap with lettuce not these flour wraps.

So Disappointing

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank ABMS
Bangkok, Thailand
“Best Chinese Restaurant in a Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

Mei Jiang constantly been delivery an outstanding Chinese cuisine since the Peninsular Bangkok Hotel opened many years ago. For Dim Sum, the restaurant always provided the variety of dishes not available where else. The Dim Sum lunch is highly recommended for business get-together either before or after a meeting. The garden plus riverside is very pleasant and provides excellent view from the dining room. The evening for dinner provide a different atmosphere but not less spectacular since the Bangkok's lights are sparkling over the Chao-phya River. The selections from their menu are of great variety. Your evening can be most enjoyable by trying out different dishes in this beautiful surrounding.

Visited October 2012
“Great Chinese in a great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

This is a great place for top class Cantonese food. We were a group of two families so decided to book a private room, I don't usually like doing this as I like the buzz and atmosphere of the main restaurant, however the room was lovely and suited the purpose perfectly. It's been said in many earlier reviews but needs mentioning again, you MUST have the Peking duck( or should it now be Beijing) it is exceptional, crispy skin, moist meat and served with great aplomb. I do agree with an earlier post that a bamboo steamer would be great to stop the pancakes drying out, this is not a dish to wolf down. Suckling pig is also well worth a try, once again cooked to perfection. I tried some of the fish that my wife ordered which was delicious, unfortunately I can't remember the name. I can't comment on the price as our friend picked up the tab, he didn't look too shocked though. After eating stroll down to the bar by the river for a digestif, a very pleasant place to sit and chat about the wonderful food you've just enjoyed.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank LesPaulbkk
Hong Kong, China
“Nice and quiet place with good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Sitting in Mei Jiang you feel time has slowed down and you are relaxed and really enjoy good food with no worry.

Visited March 2013