“All class”

Oriental Residence Bangkok
Ranked #8 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
“All class”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is a sister property to mandarin oriental through ownership and has all the same traits without the waterfront restaurants and expenses. This is our second stay here in a serviced apartment, so much better than a hotel room, with a small kitchen, amenities lounge area and excellent service from great staff. It is in the embassy area of Bangkok, with the US and British embassies next door, so very secure and less traffic issues than the riverfront. It is a short walk to the sky train and taxis are at hand. Great location, great people and excellent pricing. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Book direct for the best rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear John P,

What an absolute pleasure it is to receive this wonderful feedback from our loyal guest. I would like to thank you for taking your time to provide such great insight on your recent overall experiences.

I can assure you that I will take pride in sharing your comments with our wonderful team here and thank them for their outstanding service to you.

We certainly hope that Bangkok will be on your destination list in the future and we sincerely look forward to having the chance to welcome you back again, till then we wish you all the best.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
san diego, CA
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stayed one week at this hotel over the New Year’s holiday (2013-14). It is one of the most highly rated establishments on TA. I mostly concur with this rating although I have one minor concern.

Room. I arrived late on a Friday. Traffic on the freeway was horrendous and it was nice being received so warmly by the staff upon arrival. When I booked the room, I thought I had selected one with a washer-dryer but it turned out not to be the case. Upon inquiry, the reception desk kindly gave me a free upgrade to a corner-view, one-bedroom apartment that did have a washer-dryer. It actually has a fully functional, fully equipped kitchen. The comfortable living room is furnished with a cushy couch, flat-screen TV, and a desk. The bathroom is beyond luxurious. The view out of one giant window is the residence of the Dutch ambassador: a charming house nestled in a large wooded garden, home to a flock of birds whose singing brightened my mornings and evenings. For just one person, this was way too much.

Facilities. The hotel has two restaurants but one was closed during my stay. The other serves breakfast in the morning then lunches and dinners later. I only ate breakfast there. The breakfast buffet was decent and items ordered from the menu were also OK. But frankly, this spread could be improved, given the caliber of the hotel. There is a decent size swimming pool on the 4th floor. Some days in the winter, the water was almost too cold as it is unheated. But during most of the year, the water might be too hot. On the other hand, most of the pool is in the shade, under a roof so direct heating from the sun is minimized. On the same floor there is a gym, which I did not use. Service at the pool is irreproachable. There was always a generous supply of large towels and bottled water. The lounge chairs were always replenished with fresh towels. There is a pool bar and in the early evening, they fire up the BBQ to offer sausages and the likes.

Service. From what I have already said, one could guess that service is top notch. Housekeeping is impeccable. This includes a luxurious turn down service: fresh towels, bed is remade if it’s even barely touched during the day, drinking water replenished, trash emptied, curtains drawn in the bedroom, etc… A copy of the Bangkok Post is delivered every morning. One afternoon I sat at a table outside the reception area reading a newspaper. One of the staff thoughtfully came out to hand me a water bottle.

Location. This is the one area where I was not completely satisfied. The hotel is indeed in a high class neighborhood. Wireless road, just one block from the US embassy, next door to the Dutch ambassador’s residence, another block to the American ambassador’s residence. However, Wireless is a busy, noisy thoroughfare. During my stay I only crossed to the other side once due to the heavy, dangerous traffic. There are two pedestrian overpasses but they are not close to the hotel. Finally, the nearest BTS station (Ploenchit) is 5-10 minutes away on foot. That may not sound like a lot but walking along busy Wireless road is rather unpleasant. I think in this matter of location, my opinion is colored by a previous stay at the Hansar hotel which is located in a quiet soi off of Radjadamri road. Moreover, right at the entrance of the soi one finds the Radjadamri BTS station so there was no need to walk along any noisy main thoroughfare. Anyway, this matter of the location is not any fault of the hotel. I knew of it when I booked the room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank sd122
Dear sd122,

What an absolute pleasure it was to have you with us during this holiday season and to bring in the new year. We are absolutely delighted that you had a such a memorable experience at our property and I will greatly look forward to sharing this wonderful feedback with the entire team. This is a great example of the service culture we work so hard to achieve.

We certainly hope that your travels will bring you back to Bangkok and we would look forward to welcoming you back to show you are warm and engaging hospitality once again.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

What a great gem! For the price this hotel is a winner hands down. The rooms were very contemporary and stylish. We stayed in the smallest of available suites but for two people this was more than spacious. The hotel has a true and consistent luxury feel and the location is great for restaurants, shopping and bars. But there is a slight distance from the grand place so you will be stopping in the more urbanised areas of bangkok. But only a ten minute walk from Siam Square.

Staff were great, welcoming and very helpful. Distance from the airport was around 40 mins. Do go to the pool on floor 4 a great views and a real private feel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Palvinderd,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about the Oriental Residence Bangkok! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service, hotel facilities, amenities and location. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another fantastic experience.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 7 January 2014

one of the best long term/short term residences I've stayed in!!! absolutely stunning/warm hospitality & indeed one of the best in bangkok cities……strongly recommended to all my fellow readers of my reviews!!! my one stop residences for all my visits to bangkok for sure!!! just one draw back, they don't have a in-house SPA that makes it tiresome to go out for a treatment!! wish they had in-house SPA!!! b'fast variety needs to be improved to wider selection….location is fabulous, next to the us embassy, making it a very safe residences!!! i simply loved it!! there chinese restaurant is shut for ever and have only one cafe claire, i wish if they can open up another restaurant in the property, but readers this property irrespective of all the plusses or minuses is simply HOT, love it!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clubgauravGuptaa
Paul S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear clubgauravGuptaa,

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your stay with us.

I am delighted to read that your stay was such a success and I am pleased to note that you enjoyed all aspects of our services and amenities. Your positive thoughts have been shared with the entire team.

I look forward to your next visit and we hope that you will travel to Bangkok again soon and make the Oriental Residence Bangkok your preferred destination.

Busan
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

My wife, 2 young sons and I stayed here for one night on route to Sheraton Pattaya. When we arrived, we were greeted with the usual warm friendly Thai smile. Check in was a breeze and we were shown to our apartment with a brief tour of the facilities and how everything worked. We went for a 2 bedroom apartment which was beautiful. The layout had one en suite bathroom and one main shower room with a connecting door to the main lounge area and the second bedroom. The apartment was spotless. My wife and I are very clean and tidy people and with our youngest crawling, my wife was concerned about him crawling around as his hands are constantly in his mouth just now. We shouldn't have worried, you could have eaten your dinner off the floor. Food from room service was excellent as was food at breakfast. Unfortunately we were staying only one night, I know next time we will stay here longer and spend some time to recover from the long flight.

One thing to note, which didn't affect us but I would have preferred to be notified prior to our arrival. The restaurant has a policy for clothing for the restaurant after a certain time. As we were travelling to Thailand for a week on the beach, we didn't have much else other than shorts flip slops so of we were spending more time here, it would have been good to know this so we could have taken suitable clothing.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tobster3
Dear Tobster3,

We are very grateful that you took the time and efforts to post your comments on Trip Advisor following your stay with us at the Oriental Residence Bangkok.

We are pleased to note that you and your family enjoyed the overall facilities and that you liked our spacious and comfortable rooms. More importantly - I was delighted to read that your were well looked after and that our staff contributed to making your stay such a pleasant one.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back for a longer stay next time!

San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is one of bangkok's newest hotels, it is in a nice neighborhood, which is difficult to find in bangkok, with a couple of embassys in the surroundings. The hotel looks so clean and immaculate, you will fall in love with it. Every technology available was used in this hotel. We had a two beedroom suite, main bedroom with its own full size bathroom, two sinks and all the bells and whistles you may ever need, separate digital climate controls, magnetic cards, entertainment center, nice coffee maker, the kitchen was awesome, so much that we didnt go out that night, and decided to go to the supermarket and cook our own dinner! there was nothing you could need that wasnt there. Staff is extremely friendly and caring and -very important in thailand- they speak great english, way above thailands average.

Room Tip: The two bedroom suites are perfect for 2 couples or a family! ask for upgrades at front desk, you wi...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank slemusb
Paul S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear slemusb,

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback from your recent stay with us. It was a great pleasure having you visit with your friends.

We are very happy that you liked our beautiful and luxurious rooms, their comfort and their amenities. I especially appreciated your words on the great service, that our colleagues are professional, caring and friendly!

We look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you and your friends back to the Oriental Residence Bangkok in the not too distant future.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The staff, room and hotel all made a very nice first impression. The room looked comfortable, clean and efficient. I was escorted to the room and was shown the features. But after that, it was as if I was forgotten.
When going out of the hotel, no one asked if I would need a taxi.
When I asked the concierge for the location of a restaurant, I was told of a general direction. A map would have been helpful. The concierge was also no where to found on New Year's Eve. When asked, I was told they would eventually return.
When I reported the loss of Wifi in the room, I was told an engineer would come to check the router. When the engineer hadn't shown up after 30 min., I called again to discover that the problem applied to the whole hotel. It would have been helpful if someone had call me back to let me know. When the Wifi was eventually fixed, I discovered by chance instead of getting informed by the staff.
It's no surprise that most guests would check-out at around noon, so it's surprising that the Front Desk was overwhelmed. A crowd gathered around the Desk waiting to be helped. No one came to acknowledge us or make arrangement for taking turns.
I suppose these aren't serious problems for some, since they were eventually resolved, but at other 5-star hotels, I wouldn't encounter these problems.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear davewuhk,

We thank you sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are truly disheartened to have disappointed you on this occasion with certain services.

Please let me reiterate my heartfelt apologies for the poor impression we have made during your visit .This is certainly not indicative of the service levels that we pride ourselves on.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back when you are next in Bangkok.

With kind regards,