“Very comfortable”

Ranked #8 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Cologne
“Very comfortable”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is one of the best places to stay in Bangkok with good rooms/suites and good staff. But you can not compare this hotel with the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok. The suite we were in has good size and amenities. Loved the big fridge! The hotel situates on the Witthayu or Wireless Road just opposite the All Seasons place where you can find lot of shops and supermarket inside even on sunday or public holidays. It took me less than 10 minutes to walk to the Ploenchit BTS Station. Most of the staff are good, some are outstanding but those at the pool really need to learn how to say hello to the guests. The pool is nice and never full. To me it is an indoor pool rather than outdoor. The hotel directory showed that there is a shuttle every 30 mins from hotel to the Chidlom BTS Station and back. I was surprised when one of the bellman told me that there is no shuttle back to the hotel. May be you should update the hotel directory accordingly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Paul S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear paradaCologne,

I am very pleased to see that you were happy with your stay at our hotel. Thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements of your stay - especially the hotel facilities and the hospitality of our colleagues.

I was also disappointed to read your comment regarding the experience with our staff at the pool area. Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations in that area. I will certainly investigate more deeply.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Oriental Residence Bangkok, hopefully in the very near future.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We really enjoyed our experience at the Oriental Residence in Bangkok. The rooms are incredibly comfortable. Having a full refrigerator was a nice perk,as we could stock our own beer and keep any left over food from restaurants with plenty of space. The staff was very attentive and answered any of our requests (usually for more coffee packets) very quickly. The location is both a positive and a negative. The positive is that it is fairly centrally located to Sukhumvit, Siam Square, Chinatown and the Sights of the old city. The negative is that it is a walk from the Sky Train, and no cab or tuk tuk driver seems to know where it is. A suggestion for the hotel is to give each guest the name and location of the hotel on a card so that the card can be shown to the drivers.
It should also be noted that the hotel caters to a certain type of traveler. We are in our early thirties, just on the edge of still finding places like Khao San road and the backpacker vibe entertaining and fun, but also wanting to enjoy the comforts that our extremely long hours at the office have afforded us and made necessary. At this hotel, you aren't likely to meet your fellow travelers, as it generally caters to an older/business clientele. Still, if you are looking for an extremely comfortable sanctuary within chaotic Bangkok, then this should be on your list.

1 Thank grizzwold_jones
Paul S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear grizzwold_jones,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience with us.

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful time at the Oriental Residence Bangkok and sincere thank you for all your nice comments on our facilities, location and services. I am proud of all team members who work together to make your stay a perfect one and I will certainly share your comments with the team. Feedback like yours is always rewarding, motivating and it is indeed a great encouragement in our aim to strive for excellence.

We looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is one of favorite hotels to stay in when in Bangkok. It's a place I stay into to relax with family but it's also more than satisfactory for business and located in an area that makes many areas in Bangkok easily accessible by the BTS sky train. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear travellerjack_10,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience on your recent stays with us. It was great hosting you in our hotel.

Thank you for your gracious review, my team and I are so proud to receive such comments. It was our pleasure to make your stay a memorable one, and your comments will encourage us to continuously deliver our service of the highest quality.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

(+) Everything
(-) There are none
Excuse me if I begin using too many superlatives…
For the price this hotel is a stunning experience and the best value for money we’ve ever had; Anywhere...Location is central and perfect for whatever you want to do around Bangkok day or night and the skytrain is only 10 minutes walk away.
The staff are wonderfully helpful, friendly and courteous and the hotel itself oozes modern refinement and our suite was sumptuous with a fantastic view.
For our airport transfer, we were met by a porter, taken through customs to a chauffeur driven, fully fitted stretched Jaguar XJL and taken to the hotel, were we were given a chose of rooms.
The swimming pool is to die for: half open, half covered with views across Bangkok and Lumpini Park. The restaurant offers a range of cuisine from Thai to English and is no different in price from many local restaurants.
One quirky tip if you want to get local: opposite the hotel is an open market mainly selling street food and we would have breakfast there with the local office workers on trestle tables.
For me this has got to be the best hotel in the city and the best value on the planet!

Dear TrevTrav,

We are delighted to learn that you had an excellent stay with us. Thank you for sharing your Oriental Residence Bangkok experience with Trip advisor readers. Your comments on the service provided by our staff are most gratifying and will be shared with the whole team.

It was certainly a pleasure for us to be at your service and we all look forward to welcome you back to the Oriental Residence Bangkok.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Thailand is the land of the most gracious people in the world. I came to Thailand in January 2014 for business meetings and did not like to hotel that was booked for me by the company whom I was meeting with. So, I looked around on the internet and found THE ORIENTAL RESIDENCE. Great hotel very spacious and clean. Only 2 years old. While I was here I was personally invited to partake in the Hotel's Birthday of 2 years which included a blessing for 19 Monks. They made me feel like I was family instantly. I will always come back to this hotel and I will miss the friendliest staff I have ever met. Take a chance on a young hotel. Great food, great ambience, great staff. Oh yeah before I forget the beds are as comfortable as my own bed at home.

Room Tip: Get a park view. You can see for miles and there is a small park with a small lake
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Amrita R,

We appreciate that you were able to join us on our hotel's 2nd birthday. It was our pleasure and privilege to have you!

Thank you for your review, our entire team is passionate about enhancing your experience in any way that we can. So we would all like to thank you for your kind words and we are honored to know that we are your favorite hotel in Bangkok.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back. Feel free to email me directly for any future booking.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2014

The oriental residence went above and beyond our needs to make us feel at home. From the fresh flowers, to shabby chic decor, to the cleaning staff putting on Bloomberg TV (we are New Yorkers), to the concierge assisting us daily with touristy plans/dinner reservations, to smiling doormen and front desk staff we felt at ease

Room Tip: Get a room higher up for spectacular views of park and sky line.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Melissa1103,

Many thanks for having taken the time to share your positive views about your recent stay with us. We appreciate the fact that you describe various interactions with our team and highlight various attentions to details in the service delivery.

We are particularly delighted to know that you felt “at home” in our hotel. Your praises about the service and the atmosphere have been shared with the team.

I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We choose this hotel based on TripAdviser recommendation. We looked for the best rated hotel in Bangkok and this was more than expected. First, the warmed welcome in a very spacey and fresh air lobby was very relaxing. We arrive in my B-day and the front desk receptionist welcome me in a big wormy happy birthday welcome, also a nice hand written B-day card was waiting for me in the room.
We stayed in a corner suite on the 8th floor. We arrived at noon time and as we walked into the room, we changed our plans and decided to spend the afternoon evening in the amazing room! The living room was very spacy, comfortable and wormy, next to a nice well equipped kitchen. The highlight of this amazing room is the extra-large bathroom! The room is very well maintained, very clean with large glass windows. There are two separate air condition control system and mostly they are very quiet as I dislike the average noisy air condition in average hotels.
Breakfast fitted our expectation but I would appreciate a larger variety of whole wheat freshly baked bread.
The pool experience with the happy hour at 17:00 was a great fun!!
I would like to thank the hotel staff and the TripAdviser that help us to choose this premise! We strongly recommend this hotel and we'll definitely be back…

Dear Dina K,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Oriental Residence, during your recent visit to Bangkok, and I am happy to read that overall you had a pleasant stay with us. Reading such a detailed review of our property really inspired us. We thank you for sharing your experience with us and the tripadvisor readers and most importantly thank you for the recommendations. Rest assured that points you have highlighted will be addressed with my team.

We glad to hear you loved your stay and that you will be back. We are looking forward to welcome you again soon.