SO Sofitel Bangkok
Shangri-La Hotel Bangkok(Bangkok)
US$371
US$295
4,815 results
All reviewslumpini parkclub signaturepark societyred oven restaurantearth elementrooftop barwater elementwood elementpool partyearth roomchristian lacroixpark viewwater roomwood roomwater themestaff uniformswelcome drink
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We have been visiting this hotel 3 times already, there has not been once that someone was at the entrance to greet you. It is very strange that a hotel still uses door which has to be pushed or pulled to open but even if you decide to build them that way, make sure you have some one there every second of the day to open if for you! The first time we walked in, there were some receptionists behind the desk but they would not bother to offer you a service, so we had to find the way through this strangely designed hotel by ourselves, but it is kind of impossible. Finally, we had to ASK for the way to the restaurants. The 3rd time we walked through the smaller entrance of the hotel which has an automatic door but do not expect that there are staff greeting you there because there is no one! How could a 5-star hotel miss this point? The very first important greeting when entering a hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Cynthia L
Nusara A, So Experience Guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking your time to give us your feedback on your recent experience with us at Sofitel So Bangkok.

We have noted each point you have raised and would like to apologize for an experience which left you with dissatisfaction, particularly for the disappointments with the arrival experience and assistance at the Street Lobby level.
On the behalf of Sofitel SO Bangkok management team, I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience and disappoinment you experienced once again. Please rest assured that your feedback has been raised up to the concerned department to regtify the problems.

I hope you would give us another opportunity to welcoming you back in order to restore your trust and confident back.

We thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us in driving our standards to the best.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed four nights in the Earth theme room (woody decor) in April 2012 during the soft opening. It was a great deal with credits to spare on food at the restaurant and spa services. Upon checking in, need some getting used to navigate the hotel as there are separate elevators to get to the rooms and to get to the ground floor. Hotel lobby/Checking-in is located on a higher floor.

Pluses:
1. Great breakfast selection (both western and local).
2. Great spa services. Had a massage and it was very relaxing but not cheap.
3. Pool is great for swimming laps but not so good for getting sun as the lounging area of the pool is pretty shielded.
4. Room is nice and the bathroom is very spacious.
5. Good quality toiletries.
6. Free minibar and snacks (it was offered during the soft opening)

The only downside I had was concerning the tv and internet were down a few times during my stay and for quite a long duration .At times the internet was very slow. Kind of annoying especially for business traveler.

The hotel is very close (10/15 minutes walk) to a few embassies (Malaysia and Australia) and about 20 minutes walk to the nearest light rail station, Silom and the nightlife in Silom area.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the city which is not too bad of a view. The rooms facing the Lumphini park have a nice view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Txwisetravel
Nusara A, So Experience guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We are glad to hear that you had a lovely stay with us overall, however, there was a shortcoming of service from the TV and internet connection in the room that caused you the inconvenience.
Please do accept our sincere apologies for the frustration you had experienced. We truly appreciate your patience and understanding.
Kindly rest assured that our IT manager and Engineer Director have been notified about the case to rectified the problem.

I hope your plan will bring you to Bangkok and to Sofitel So once again in a very near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

We were upgraded to So Comfy on the Water Element floor. The view of the Lumphini Park was good. My friends and I preferred the rooms on the Wood Element floor but the hotel couldn't arrange them for us. Personally I didn't like the room service menu on the computer. I had to click a million times in order to read all the pages. Also, I had to stop watching tv for reading the menu, that was not convenient. The fitness room was said to be 24/7 but when my friends went there at 1am, it was closed with no lights. It took the staff nearly an hour to find the keyman and got the room unlocked. It was then very stuffy as the air con had been switched off for some time. Staff were friendly though. They always wore smiles on their faces and were willing to trying to help, though sometimes in vain. We also reported to the staff on the lighting problem but no one came to fix it for the whole period we stayed. The staff told us that it was still under soft opening so there might be hiccups...for a guest having paid the full fare, soft opening might not be a good reason for the faults.

We got a box of chocolate from their Chocolab as a gesture. Sincerity was shown but surely improvements needed to be made.

Except for the nice breakfast, I'll just tell my friend that it's a so-so hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Lumphini Park can enjoy sunshine and greenery.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank SylvianChan
Nusara A, So Experience Guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We are glad to hear that you had a lovely stay with us overall, however, there were a few shortcoming of services that caused you inconveniences. Please kindly accept our sincere apologies for the frustrations you had experienced. We truly appreciate your patience and understanding.

We have noted each point you raised, particularly the inconveniences occurred from the in-room private dining menu on Mac Mini, lighting problems in your room and the access to our fitness after staff operated hours.
Concerned departments have been discussed to rectify the problems and prevent similar issues to occur once again.

On the behalf of Sofitel SO Bangkok management team, I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment you experienced once again.

Reviewed 15 August 2012

Well Accor you have exceeded yourself here, i dont think ive ever written Perfect about a hotel ever, but i can with confidence say it about this hotel, well it's more an experience than a hotel.

You must book the Limo Pick up from the Airport BMW7 series beautifully driven by i think his name was Paul, you chose the music & the temp then sit back relax enjoy the comp chocolate and nice cool ice tea, lovely welcome @ the hotel. check in while a Mix-ologist does magic with a refreshing drink for you.
Taken to the room... metal.. which was beautiful, the fresh flowers, comp fruit, and stunning views over Lumpini Park, to cut this short because i could go on and on... Breakfast was superb (i wish the supervisor well when she has her baby) everything and more available, drinks at the top floor bar was magical, the service around the pool was 1st class.. well done done boys... to close off, this was as you can tell quite an experience anyone who complains about anything need to see a Doctor, EVERYONE of the SoSofitel Ambassadors were top class, thank's Bart (F&B) for the Red Wine indulgence, Paul Guest Service Manager, if he dont know it it aint worth knowing, the Housekeeping did a fantasic job and cleaning up after me, & Stephen the Director of Rooms must have one of the best jobs around, i would go back just to stay @ the hotel, I loved it and i bet you will to when you stay.

Room Tip: Book the Limo Service.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Yves M, General Manager at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2014

Dear khun fijitaylor45,

So-wasdee khrub from Sofitel So Bangkok.

I would like to start by apologizing on the delay of this reply. I am the new appointed General Manager of the Sofitel So Bangkok and one of my ultimate goals is to reply to all reviews on Trip Advisor. Furthermore, I highly appreciate you for taking the precious time as to provide your experience during your 2012 stay at the So.

There might have been some challenges during your first visit then, however, I can guarantee you now that if your plan brings you back to Bangkok and that you choose to return to Sofitel So Bangkok again, your experience will be thoroughly enjoyable and memorable.

Please allow us the opportunity to welcome you back as we love to have the pleasure of better serving you and seeing you become our regular guest!

So kind regards,

Yves Mudry

Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed in Sofitel So Bangkok during July 17 to July 18, and it totally blew my mind!

The room was great (wood-themed comfy room), especially the bathroom, the space was arranged perfectly and the décor was with great modern taste. And the view of Lumphini Park in good weather was definitely a great morning refreshing. There was a set of iTV in the room, and illy coffee machine, and a complimentary minibar. The staffs were young and enthusiastic, and willing to give you help anytime. I also tried some food at a chic restaurant called 'Red oven' in the hotel with my friends, and the food was really tasty and looked incredibly beautiful.

The sweet thing I have encountered was, when I arrived at another hotel after leaving Sofitel So at noon, the staff took out my luggages from the trunk, and found that there were some little things- a simple lunch box and a water bottle with hotel mark as a souvenir, which I guessed they just put them secretly with my luggages.

In my opinion, Sofitel So Bangkok was among the best hotels in Bangkok according to the cost-price value. If you're looking for accommodations around 5000 to 7000 THB per night, then it could be your number one choice for sure. Modern and unique décor, well-fuctioning room, helpful staffs, and touching service, really nothing to be complained of. The only thing that should be kept in mind is, the safety. Even though it is just several steps to the MTR station and seems convenient, it is not always safe to walk around outside in this neighborhood in the evening. My Thai friends kindly advised me to take taxi instead of walking to the MTR station after dark, because there were news about people being robbed or something bad happened in this area, and one of their friend was unfortunately stabbed on the street about two years ago, just near this newly-open hotel.

Room Tip: Always take the rooms with park view and high floor- you won't be regret for those little extra pay!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank DennisCLCheng
Yves M, General Manager at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2014

Dear khun DennisCLCheng,

So-wasdee khrub from Sofitel So Bangkok.

Even though you have given us an excellent review, there might have been some challenges during your first visit then, however, I can guarantee you now that if your plan brings you back to Bangkok and that you choose to return to Sofitel So Bangkok again, your experience will be thoroughly enjoyable and memorable.

So kind regards,