“Surprising party”
Review of SO Sofitel Bangkok

SO Sofitel Bangkok
Ranked #13 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I have to say I really love the So Sofitel Bangkok. I am a big fan of Sofitel globally and would even go so far as to say that they are my favourite hotel group. The service was impeccable. The spa is amazing. I love the way the rooms are designed around themes of earth, water, air, etc. Our room had a fantastic view over the Lumpini park from the bathroom and bedroom. The buffet restaurant has a fabulous spread and is superb value for money.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 5StarSteve
Yves M, General Manager at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear khun 5StarSteve,

So-wasdee khrub from Sofitel So Bangkok.

Initially, I would like to thank you for your stay with us here at Sofitel So Bangkok. We highly appreciate you for taking the time as to share your experience about your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our valued guests.

I am So delighted to read that your stay with us was pleasant and memorable and that our Sofitel So Bangkok savoir-faire made you fall in love with us.

Following that, I am very pleased to know that our So Ambassadors provided you with impeccable service throughout your stay. I am also elated to learn that you enjoyed your spa equally as much as our designed rooms with their respective elements as-well as our magnificent view on Lumphini Park.

Additionally, I will pass on your feedback to the Red Oven team about your satisfaction of the buffet and its value. All your comments are much appreciated.

I thank you again for sharing your kind compliments. I hope that you will visit us again and I assure you that your stay will be more pleasant and memorable than your previous stay.

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We loved this place. Not only because there are no small children but because the staff is incredibly friendly, the rooms are amazing, pool and view is the best in Bangkok and the restaurants and bars are very nice!

On arrival we were treated to a delicious traditional thai drink while the staff sorted out paper work.

There are always heaps of events on as well so there always something to do if you don't fell like leaving the hotel.

Overall this was our favourite hotel while we were on our 33 day trip through Thailand, Hong Kong, KL and Singapore.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Myles B
Yves M, General Manager at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear khun Myles B,

So-wasdee khrub from Sofitel So Bangkok.

Originally, I would like to start by thanking you for your stay with us at Sofitel So Bangkok. We highly appreciate you for taking the precious time as to provide your experience during your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our valued guests.

I am very delighted to read that we are listed in your “favorite hotel” knowing that you travelled to all of these other great Asian countries and that you are planning to come back to Sofitel So Bangkok. Furthermore, I am glad to know that your stay with us was pleasant and memorable.

Our welcome drink is indeed delicious and fresh and I am happy you felt relax drinking it while our So Ambassadors proceeded with your check-in and later on, provided you with an friendly and efficient service. Thank for your kind words.
I am also elated to read that you experienced and found our designed rooms, So pool, Red Oven and our Park Society Bar to be amazing.

We truly hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again and provide you with a more pleasant and unforgettable stay.

Paris, France
Reviewed 22 August 2014

One of the best hotels in the world. Cool service, beautiful rooms (especially wood and water), relaxed atmosphere. The hotel is a victim of its success. Extremely crowded the staff has some difficulties to handle so many people....

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Yvesparisasia
Yves M, General Manager at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear khun Yvesparisasia,

So-wasdee khrub from Sofitel So Bangkok.

Initially, I would like to start by thanking you for your stay with us at Sofitel So Bangkok. We highly appreciate you for taking the precious time as to provide your experience during your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our valued guests.

Following that, I am more than delighted to read that we are listed in your “one of the best hotels in the world”!! I thank you for your compliment as-well as your kind words in regards to our different room themed that you appreciated and the service provided by our So Ambassadors.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again and provide you with a more pleasant and memorable stay.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed in the hotel for 2 days.

The service is undoubtedly one of the best I ever received, from personalized check in process, house keeping to room service. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

The view from 9th floor lobby is spectacular, given day or night.

The "Element design" is well implemented, stayed in the blue-themed earth room, it is a cozy and comfortable "designer" room. Would like to try the other elements in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Choong Wai S
Dear khun CWSAM,

So-wasdee khrub from Sofitel So Bangkok.

At first, I would like to start by thanking you for your stay with us at Sofitel So Bangkok. We highly appreciate you for taking the precious time as to provide your experience during your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our valued guests.

Following that, I am delighted to learn that your recent stay with us was pleasant and memorable. Furthermore, I am more than happy to read that you felt the personalized service from department to department that we are so-proud of. I will be delivering your kind compliments to the various teams.

I must agree, given day or night, our Park Lobby located on the 9th floor has a magnificent view on Lumphini Park. In addition to that, our restaurant and bar Park Society which is located on top of the hotel (level 29), offers an even more impressive view on Lumphini Park. A must try for the next visit!

I thank you again for your kind compliments. As you mentioned, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again and to try another element for further memorable moments.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed at the Sofitel So in Bangkok this August and was so pleased with the service that we received. I have stayed in many top hotels and this was by far one of our best experiences as a family. The kind and efficient concierge helped organise many different activities for me and my family including a Thai Cooking Class at Blue Elephant, a full health and dental check, many dinner reservations and a personal stylist shopping trip and a trip to Hua Hin. Everything exceeded our expectations.

I would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jignesh D
Dear khun Jignesh D,

So-wasdee khrub from Sofitel So Bangkok.

I am more than happy to learn that your stay with us was pleasant and memorable. Furthermore, I am elated that your family enjoyed our hotel and services equally as much.

Following that, I will personally deliver your kind words to our Chief Concierge So Ing and the City Guru team. I am sure he will be pleased to know that his team did everything in order to exceed your expectations. Once again, your comment is much appreciated.

Udon Thani, Thailand
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I had been looking forward to staying at the "new" Sofitel in Bangkok for quite awhile now. As an Advantage Plus cardholder and permanent a long-time resident of Thailand, I have had the opportunity to stay at many of Accor's Bangkok properties and was interested in trying their newest, flagship property in Bangkok. Unfortunately, in their quest to create a "trendy, hip, stylish" hotel, Accor has created a hotel with no substance or soul.

Check-in procedures are a disaster, and having read a number of the reviews over the last year-plus, has been for some time -- Sofitel So management should have picked up on this and straightened out these issues long ago. We arrived from the airport and were greeted at the "lobby" and taken to the front desk, where an agent welcomed us and started explaining a bit about the hotel, and ... after a couple of minutes, proceeded to inform us that this wasn't the proper lobby at all, but he would accompany us to the 9th floor where reception was. Question: instead of wasting our time in the downstairs "lobby annex," why didn't the staff just greet us and accompany us upstairs to the "proper lobby" instead? Check-in on the ninth floor took much too long, conducted by a guest reception agent who needs to re-take the class about smiling and friendliness. The lobby is hip and groovy, with colorful sofas and chairs; most of the guests seemed to be very young couples and groups of friends dressed in tank tops and bathing suits. Weird. A staff member brought over welcome drinks in test tubes, proceeding to mix the liquids in drinking glasses and explaining how the color of the liquid would magically change color with the addition of the last ingredient. Yawn; can I go to my room now?

We were brought to our room by a guest relations manager, who took about three times too long to describe the features. The room is all electronic gadgetry; to access any information you have to turn on the TV and access it through the on-screen menu. Annoying. The cloying, piped in music that Accor hotels provide in their rooms kept coming on of its own accord, requiring several episodes of dealing with the TV to turn it off. I came close to pulling the wires out of the speakers to stop it. Our suite had a wonderful bath with a great view over the city. But as others have noted, shampoo, conditioner and soap are provided in industrial-sized dispensers. I know that this is better for the environment, but personally find this a turn-off. We were upgraded to a "water-themed" suite; I found the design and decor to be cold and depressing.

We went down to the "Red Oven" restaurant for a light lunch; were seated and a waitress who needs to accompany the above mentioned check-in agent to re-take the smiling and friendliness class came over to invite us to the buffet. We didn't realize that it was "buffet brunch only" on Saturdays; as it was already close to 2 PM and we wanted a very light lunch, we declined. As a note, the food looked fantastic and the restaurant was filled and had quite a buzz to it.

Anytime you want to leave or enter the hotel, you have to change elevators on the ninth floor. Even if you are on a lower floor, you must go up to nine and access the other elevator bank to head down to ground level. Annoying. When I asked a staff member why the hotel was designed this way, he stated "for security reasons." Really? I don't know of too many other upscale hotels in Bangkok that work this way. I put it down to "really poor design."

The location of the hotel is OK. Lumphini Park is right across the street, which is a fantastic asset for joggers, walkers, strollers and park lovers. An MRT (subway) station is also just across the street, and a BTS (skytrain) station a few minutes' walk away. Silom Road is a short walk or even shorter taxi or tuk tuk ride away.

The bottom line is that this hotel just didn't do it for me. It is significantly more expensive than other upscale Accor properties nearby, such as the Silom Pullman G and the The Muse on Lang Suan, in my opinion hotels that are equally as good as (or better than) the Sofitel So. I found the design, decor and style of the hotel to be superficial and the substance lacking, and the staff to be below par for an upscale Thai property.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JAMESINTHAILAND
Dear Khun JAMESINTHAILAND

So-wasdee krub from Sofitel So Bangkok!

First and foremost, please allow me to express our appreciation towards your time to share with us the feedback about your recent stay at Sofitel So Bangkok!
We are also very grateful for your kind patronage to the Accor group. Your support is very valuable for us. However, when learn that overall your experience did not meet your expectation, myself and the teams are very concerned.

Please accept our sincerest and deepest apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience you had experienced.

- Arrival: Concierge team at the ground level are the people who check and identify guests whether they are the club signature members to be checking-in on 25th floor or if without club access to be checking-in on the main park lobby.
- Check-in experience: I am sorry for the delay at the check-in. I have addressed this to our Front Office Manager, Khun Tinny to coach the team to anticipate guests' needs because not everybody wants a full arrival experience.
- The unfriendliness receptionist and a waitress at the Red Oven: this is atypical and far from the usual high standards that we are proud of, yet unacceptable to happen here at Sofitel So Bangkok. Please accept my deepest apologies. Khun Tinny and Khun Nok (Director of Food & Beverage have managed to identify the receptionist who did the check-in for you, hence, this matter has been addressed directly to them. This will not be neglected nor taken lightly, you can rest assured on that.
- While we always receive excellent feedback regarding the magic welcome drink from the attention to detail and lovely storytelling, I am sorry to hear that our magic welcome drink did not respond to your satisfactory.
- I am also very sorry that the TV in your room automatically kept turning itself on. I addressed this to our Director of Engineer, Khun Prabda and he is on the case to rectify this.
- It is understandable that people are used to the individual plastic tubes of shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, however, Sofitel So is not the only hotel these days who strongly support eco-friendly project. Yes, we are the very first in Accor group to leads the project, however, many other luxury hotels like some of the Four Seasons hotels have shifted to use dispensers.
While realizing of the responsibility to the environment, Sofitel So does not neglect the importance of attention to detail on luxury experience of our guests, and therefore, the bathroom dispensers are all designed by Christian Lacroix, the renown French high fashion designer who also designed beautiful uniforms of our associates. Moreover, the products we use for shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion are top quality brand called “Ytsara”, which is a local luxury spa brand that only supplies a few high-end spas in Thailand, including our So Spa.
Hence, we would like to urge the understanding and support from our guests for this eco-friendly project in which helps reducing the number of plastic.
-We are very sorry as well regarding the inconvenience you found with having to change two lifts.
In most of the newly built high rising buildings in the present, having low floors lifts and high floors lifts are very common. Despite the initial design concept, the main priority of having two levels lifts is for the maximum security for the guests. While low floors lifts allow both residents and non-residents to access to public areas, high floors lifts are mainly for resident guests. It is purely to minimize the chance and risk for the non-residents to access to the guest's room floors.
As a design concept hotel like Sofitel So, It is understandable that it cannot be everyone’s cup of tea.
Nevertheless, throughout the past 2.5 years since the opening, we have been welcoming a number of guests from all over the globe with different type of raise, gender, age and purposes of their journey. People from different backgrounds and cultures have brought us so much interesting perspective and valuable feedback, which allow us to grow as an international organization as well. We take that as our precious honor!
While other 5 star luxury hotels offer typical classic experience, Sofitel So concept is rather uniquely different. We are trendy, lively, fun, and fashionable yet luxury, which is suitable for those who seek for a new and unique experience.
Having said that, we realize that what must go hand in hand with our So concept is excellent services.
Similar to other hotels, we are not perfect, however, we care and always embrace feedback seriously, so thank you for your constructive feedback once again. This has allowed us to acknowledge the problems so that we can rectify them appropriately in order to prevent reoccurence of the issues and improve our guest's experience.

While I realize there’s nothing we can do to change the past, it is very important for us to restore your trust and confident and therefore, I would like to offer myself as the main contact person should you visit Bangkok once again to assist you with the booking, special rate quote and necessary arrangements to make sure your future experience at Sofitel So Bangkok will be better and memorable.

Should you require further discussion or any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me or Khun Akira, our Director of Guest’s Experience via H6835-GM2@sofitel.com. We remain entirely at your disposal.
We hope you would allow us the opportunity to welcome you back and better serve you with a more typical and usual high standards that we are proud of.

Have a great week ahead!

So Kind Regards