“Came for two nights over a week ago”

Cafe ice Residences
Ranked #78 of 733 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Cafe Ice has absolutely everything you need for a brilliant happy place to stay. It is not a five-star hotel, it's a quirky but elegant 8-roomed B&B with lots of airy communal spaces.
Made up of three interconnecting Thai houses with plants, shade, beautiful wood interiors the place has character in a good-for-the-soul kind of way.
Dark wood furniture, crisp white sheets, coffee and tea in your room, endless free bottled water, fresh flowers, peace, beautiful lovely staff, fabulous healthy food in the restaurants – steamed fish with herbs was my favourite – I brought a foodie friend of mine from Paris to supper here - he was completely blown away.
There's complimentary breakfast of fruit, yogurt and the best scrambled eggs ever with herbs, hot shower, high-speed free wi-fi, honesty bar, taxi at airport to meet me … what more does a girl want? Perhaps just more time to stay longer. Happy, Happy.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Lyndy S

Reviewed 21 March 2013

It's a perfect combination of private guest house + small modern hotel. We loved our stay here so much that we ended up extending a few days. In a charming quiet location, the space is nestled on a cozy tree-filled street in an otherwise sort of businessy district. Our room was clean and modern, service was warm and welcoming, and the breakfasts fresh and delicious. The ambiance is wonderful here, there are a couple of communal living room/ lounging areas that offer wifi. The downstairs restaurant serves amazing food (try the pineapple sweet Thai basil drink) and the staff is so helpful and friendly, eager to recommend a good massage place or help with whatever you need. The location is great, just a few minute walk to the nearest BTS stop.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank missjessrose
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I am sorry that I can't share the enthusiasm of most other reviewers here. To me this guest house was a perfectly good place to stay for three nights but I expected something else from reading the owner's description on the third party website I booked through. Check-in was chaotic since the guy who checked me in seemed confused and could not find my reservation in the system. He seemed troubled when I insisted on getting the en suite bathroom that I had booked and not a balcony room with shared bathroom. I was rushed to the room without getting any information about the guest house's facilities and policies (I had to read in the booklet in the room that I could risk being locked out on Sunday nights and had to remember a code to get in). I did not even get a room key. When I asked for it a sweet woman who seemed to speak no English brought it to me after what felt like ages. Room was clean and quite nice although I did not like the fact that other guests could actually look into the room from the stairs through the interior windows and it was a bit dark. A little unpleasant lying in bed and looking at other people walking up the stairs. Guest house is in a god location in a quiet street but one night some other guests (I suppose) played very loud music for about an hour which was a bit annoying but stopped before it was getting late. One day the room was not made up and cleaned but I had plenty of towels and toilet paper stored in the closet (although I had to ask for towels after check in since there were none). Free bottled water is supplied and room has fridge, coffee/tea maker, safe, flat screen tv and a work desk. Bathroom was clean and nice although it did not have the separate shower and tub that was promised on the booking site. The view from the window made me sad and I never found out where the pleasant garden in the pics I saw was. A little guiding upon check-in would have been nice. Breakfast was okay, sausages, omelette cooked to order and fresh fruits plus decent coffee. The guy who served the breakfast seemed to be the night watch and was more calm and helpful than the guy who checked me in.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Rueskov
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We stayed in the Ice Suite for 6 nights. Cafe Ice Residences is much more a B&B rather than a hotel. You are made to feel very welcome by David and his team where you truly have run of the house. If you're looking for a 5 star hotel experience then this is not the place for you. We stayed in the the Ice Suite which was a good size with King size bed, lounge, desk, large led TV, balcony with chairs and good air conditioning. The bathroom is fairly basic but adequate. Breakfast is served in the garden courtyard. We found it to be a bit hit and miss. If there was a few people arriving for breakfast in quick succession they started to panic and things fell apart. Some basic training and preparation could easily overcome this.
The lunch and evening food available in the two restaurants / cafe's that are part of Cafe Ice Residences is spectacular. Ice is a very talented Thai chef and the Pomelo salad is not to be missed.
Cafe Ice Residences is in a quiet location (good for sleeping) but only a 3 minute walk from Chong Nonsi BTS (overhead railway) and 5 minutes walk from Silom Road and Patpong.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank reckless_abandon8
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Rooms were lovely and David (one of the owners) was extremely accommodating and helpful in recommendations. Breakfasts (included in room) were delicious and offer Thai & western style eats. The hotel is located on a quiet street (rare in Bangkok) and a short walk to the BTS train station. As a whole the guesthouse is very clean and tastefully furnished. The staff was warm and welcoming and overall the guesthouse is a good value for the price. Upon hearing we were celebrating our honeymoon, the owner (David) gifted us a bottle of champagne...it really made our night.
A few things which could be improved upon:
- Our room was not cleaned one day (suppose to be daily)
- The provided guesthouse business card and map on reverse side was of little help. Most taxi drivers had difficulty understanding where the guesthouse was located & we were turned down by ~50% of solicited taxis. We suggest providing detailed instructions written in Thai for guests to give to taxi drivers.

Although the staff were kind, they were a bit lax about early breakfasts. Even though the breakfasts are included and supposed to be available from 7-10am, one day we came downstairs at 730am but no one was awake to cook. The next day we were careful to schedule an early breakfast at 540am as we had to be out the door at 6am to catch a flight. The staff had slept through their alarm (not waking until 545am) and we barley had time for coffee before catching our taxi.

In spite of these things, as long as you're not a stickler for punctually early breakfasts, we would wholeheartedly recommend Cafe Ice. While a bit outside the scope of the main tourist attractions of the river, Golden Mount and Democracy square, anyone who enjoys a boutique ambiance with close access to the local transportation, Lumpini park and night markets should look into Cafe Ice and experience what Bangkok can be without the hustle and bustle outside your front door.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pgswim
Reviewed 9 January 2013

If you are are anything like me, you can spend hours searching for the right place to stay considering location, previous reviews, facilities, etc etc. It can be mind boggling. Save yourself the time and effort - if you are looking to experience Bangkok just book Cafe Ice Residences and be assured you will have a wonderful stay. Location is excellent, a great base from which to explore - in the centre but on a quiet street. Rooms are excellent, all the other reviews are spot on. No need to book the suite as we did in case the other rooms weren't up to scratch, they are all similar, just like in the photo but the suites are much larger. I won't repeat the praises of the other reviews with regards to the staff and the standard of the food, it's all true (and be warned, the food portions are enormous).
We loved it in every way and would not hesitate to recommend it to our most discerning friends.
If you are not looking to experience the City and prefer a Hotel where you can hang by a pool/ enjoy the view/ use a gym/ sit in the bar, you need to look again, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MuscatBez
Reviewed 24 September 2012

First and foremost the staff at the Residences were wonderful. They were attentive to our needs before we asked for it. The rooms are wonderfully decorated with antiques and art work and very comfortable. Hot water and plenty of water pressure. You wake up each day to smiles from everyone of the staff. Very clean and very comfortable. The food was outstanding. This was the best value for money I have had in my travels throughout South East Asia.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the road with the balcony. Very peaceful and private sitting there with a cool...