“A little bit lost...”
Review of De Talak Hostel

De Talak Hostel
Ranked #183 of 1,413 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Not far from a MRT station and the Lumpini Park / Stadium but a little bit lost in the middle of nowhere.
Rooms are clean and with locker for everyone.
The sliding window was broken and the staff couldn't repair it so we had to fix it by ourselves. You have to pay 30 baht if you want to have towels...
The staff was smiling and answered our questions.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

That place was a bit hidden but there are a lot of signs which show you the direction. We had a Double Room with it's own Bathroom. Which was not that clean but ok. The Location is ok the Subway takes you in 15 min to the centre Bangkok. Station is 5 min next to Hostel. A big plus is all the service they had: Plenty of Information where to go, you can always ask the reception for further information and you can leave your luggage there for longer periods. In Summary I would recommend that hostel. We booked there another stay.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Umut B
Reviewed 4 March 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The hostels slogan is "the regular hostel" and that is exactly what it is. You have your standard dorms, a well equipped kitchen and a few common areas.
But then there are som really thought through extras. There is for example free coffee and coconut ice-cream, which might not be that regular if you ask me. Coin laundry is available as well, to machines with driers. They also have really done their homework of what many of their guests will be interested in and provides schedules and stuff for your further journey, maybe going south to the islands and such. And I think that part is actually really great. There is also a map in the lobby describing where to find supermarkets and streetfood. So really well done. And the staff is really helpful would there be something else. I stayed at the hostel durring the protests in Bangkok and they provided me with information of spots where not to go each day. Which of course is super.
The only thing a little bit tricky with the hostel is to find it the first time. They will provide you with an email on how to find them, I find it tricky how the thai name there streets in some cases, anyway what you need to do is to remember you got the mail! The surroundings might seem a little different after dark, but I felt no worries! In my room the AC-unit outside was a little noisy and the toilet door was not closable from the outside, but that was just minor I'd say!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed here two nights and they let me leave my luggage at the hostel while I went around Khao Yai and Lopburi, it was nice not to have to lug around all of my things. The hostel itself is in a really quite area, and if you can find it, it's a really convenient location, only a subway ride away from chutchak weekend market, chinatown, and the train station. The rooms are clean and the common areas boast a kitchen/dining room (with free coconut ice cream!) and an upstairs lounge. Best of all the staff are all really helpful and kind. Felt like home away from home here in Bangkok.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2014

It's true that it's a tad bit tricky to find at first, but when you do, you can pretty much find your way around already. I chose it because it's close to the MRT, unlike staying at Khao San, which is swarmed with tourists. It's in a quiet neighborhood, which gives you a chance to peek at how Thais go about on a daily basis, but not far from the city center. True, there are stray dogs around the compound but I never experienced being growled at.

These are the things I liked about De Talak: hot shower, comfy bed, flat screen TV in our double room, a common room for eating and cooking, free instant coffee and tea, free coconut ice cream, free hot and cold water refill, free use of common computers,free luggage storage for 3 days, laundry services and computer printing for a small fee, free brochures and tourist maps, use of key cards, towels can be rented, pressing iron and hair dryers available for borrowing, in-room lockers for valuables, free in-room Internet, and extra amiable and helpful owner and staff.

I personally didn't have any issue when we were initially given a family room for 4 people instead of the double we booked. As long as there's Internet and ensuite bathroom, I'm fine. However it would be wise to request for rooms at the lower floors, especially if you're traveling with senior parents or small kids, since you have to climb a flight of stairs to get to the rooms.

For me, the greatest assset of De Talak is their exceptional service. They're quick to answer your questions and suggest a route or attraction. It felt good to be asked how my day was. Five-star service at an affordable price!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbikyu
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Was traveling alone in Bangkok so needed something budget-friendly but wasn't interested in a dorm-style accommodation. This hostel does have dorms, but they also offer private rooms at a decent price. Overall, this hostel is fine for a few nights (I stayed two), as it provides the bare necessities. It is pretty clean, which is a must for me. I also really enjoyed the cultural tidbits the hostel provides in the lobby about Thai culture, things to do, places to eat, etc. My only problem was the mosquitoes. I only saw one or two in my room before I went to sleep but during the night I was eaten ALIVE. And the worst part was, they bit my face! So I woke up the next morning with huge welts on my face. Second night wasn't so bad with the bites, but it was still a big problem for me. I personally didn't mind the location, as it's in a very local "Thai" area, which is cool compared to some of the more touristy areas. A little scary walking home alone in the dark at night from the MRT, but not too bad.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo