“Perfect crash pad, for the price it's awesome”

The Phoenix Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #289 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Perfect crash pad, for the price it's awesome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

To pick the shuttle up from bkk going to arrival door 4 and ask anyone of the 20 or so hotel people with signs and they will call the hotel for you, 20 min or so later shuttle is there for one. I cleared customs bit after 8am messed around for a bit then got the shuttle and was at the hotel 9am or so. I was shocked they let me check in right away, high marks. Then when I left the next day got late check out until 1pm, awesome. You really feel like home here.

The hotel was decent, what they offer they offer it well. The bed was comfy and clean, and the front desk was prompt and helpful. Having already been to Bangkok multiple times and avoiding the protests downtown i wanted just a room to chill and work online for a day before my next flight. This place was perfect for that, they had a cute cafe next door that i ate all meals that was decent. I struggled to find a good hotel around the airport and got a smoking deal on a third party website, and this place didnt disappoint for the price. I would stay here many times over as a solo transit traveler. It's down an alley and isn't luxury, more like a room to stay in residential Asia. The toilet is a few feet from the unseparated shower and gets wet stuff like that, not a big deal unless you are picky and inflexible.

The negatives are the location if that matters in a airport hotel. Mosquitos in the room, you might see one or two of them. The wifi was really weak in my room, last room on the end. Open the door and you get it but the walls are pretty think with something solid that blocks the signal. Basically I didn't have wifi in room, but just sat in the cafe and worked online. I met another traveler that paid almost double what I did, shop around for price. Would recommend for anyone looking for a decent place to crash that doesn't need the royal treatment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Cursive9
Nattakan C, General Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Bangkok, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Guest,

I am really appreciate your time to give us a review regarding to your recent stay. It is my pleasure to know that your stay was pleasant.

Look forward to welcome you to stay with us in the near future.

Warm regards,

Nattakan C.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed at the Phoenix on both ends of our recent trip. If you want to save some money and yet stay near the airport, this hotel is a good choice. It's not a luxury hotel, it's true, but it will get the job done for you. My group of 11 enjoyed the timely shuttle from the airport, and quickly settled into this comfy little place. It's a bit out-of-the-way but if you're there primarily to get some sleep before or after a flight, who cares! Staff is friendly and does their best to deliver whatever you need.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for very much for your comment regarding to your recent stay. I am really glad to read your positive review on our staff. I will share your compliment to our team to cheer them up and encourage to even do better.

I really look forward to welcome you back to stay with us again in the near future.

Best regards,

Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed at the Phoenix for a couple of nights.....and overall the stay wasn't too bad.
First good thing about the hotel is the free pick up service they offer to and from the airport....excellent....(and don't forget the tip box for the driver located next to his seat...big box so you can't miss it.....very cheeky I think).....also finding the representative from the hotel at the airport as difficult...2nd floor...4th door....all that was on show was a tiny placard with the name of the hotel...but no sign of the person who should have been holding it as he was sat on the floor)!!!
Booking our room was easy as the person on reception spoke good English.
Staff at reception were also excellent during our stay.
We had the deluxe room which proved adequate for our short term stay.
Free water was provided daily as was a packet of crisps and coffee.
Room was generally clean....bed sheets changed daily....(2nd day though our new bed sheets had blue stains on them though for some odd reason)....
Beds were comfortable and not firm as mentioned by other folk on this website.
Air con was good, but was on a timer so would turn it self on and off continuously.
Showers/toilets facilities were good....but the toilet is very close to the shower so make sure you use the screen door or you might end up losing the soap like I did down the toilet! Lol
The biggest problem this hotel has is that all rooms I think have tiled floors on a concrete base...same applies to corridors and stairs....so noise is a big issue.....people walking around their rooms...even kids running around corridors....people slamming doors time and time again as they try to work out how to lock their doors.....are all a noise nuisance so if you are looking for a quiet location....I would look elsewhere.....and do not make the mistake we did of having a room next to the stairs and the noise is endless as new customers arrive 24hours a day!
Free wifi was a good thing....though the connection was a bit hit and miss.
Breakfast was included in the price 1200 baht a night....American style breakfast and omelette were ok....please note that coffee was only free with some set meals...while others you had to pay 40 baht each extra for a cup of coffee......food and drink is also provided via the café on the premises up to around 10.00 pm I think....more pricy than outside but clean and the young Thai girls who work there are lovely people.
One thing I did like was the panoramic view you get of the area from the roof space on the Hotel which not many people at the hotel knew about.
Being so close to the airport you get to see Planes landing every few minutes...(met some plane spotters from the UK there)....great place to chill in the evening as the sun sets over the Bangkok skyline.
Get yourself a few beers from the several corner shops just outside the hotel...and head up to the roof....tables and chairs are provided, but aren't very clean....(I hope management at the hotel can send a cleaner up there now and then to clean the seats/tables and the two toilets in the future).
There are quite a few places outside the hotel where cheap Thai food is available...Pad Thai....Lottie....noodles.....sausages.....etc,etc....
There isn't much else there other than a couple of Thai Massage places .....one of these is superb....as you leave the hotel....turn left...when you get to Seven Eleven on the corner....turn right....walk about 500 m and there is a Thai massage/medical building that offers a variety of massages from 150 baht an hour....I had a two hour massage as did my wife before our flight home and it was superb...I was only upset I hadn't discovered this place the day before.
I will provide photos later of my few days at the Phoenix Hotel later......and this massage establishment .....
So to sum this Hotel up....
I would say the Phoenix offers good value for the money.
I would suggest managers think seriously about having carpets in all room above floor level and in all corridors to reduce noise levels.
I would like to see their set menu include more Thai food.
Bed sheets must always be checked for stains by staff.
I am not keen on the Tip box being on display in the shuttle bus....I do not need to be told to tip someone......
The guy who is supposed to meet guests at the airport needs to make himself visible and to hold the Phoenix sign up high so folk can see it....not sitting on the floor talking to his friends!
TV in rooms was good, but channels (Thai ones oddly enough were poor quality).
The roof complex needs to be cleaned more often....especially the toilets/seats.
If more people used this facility. Then perhaps a mini bar selling beer/snacks could be a good business idea for the hotel to think about as I am sure once people know about it more people would use it as it is a great place to relax.
Staff at the hotel were generally good....girls on reception all spoke good English....girls working in the restaurant were great too.....cleaners who worked hard did the Hotel proud(except for our stained bed sheet)
For the money 1200 baht ..bed/breakfast/shuttle service/ offers good value......
Good place for a short term visit......nothing at all to see in the area adjacent to the hotel.....
oh and do not make the mistake I did of turning right outside the Hotel and heading towards the nearby temple...there are hundreds of dogs both in/out and around the temple...and not many of them seemed to like foreigners like myself....if you are brave enough(or daft enough) to walk past their barking and walking up in groups towards you....you end up in a bit of a slum area...(with even more dogs)...and a few bridges over canals which makes for some good photo shots.
When returning to the Hotel.....the dogs were there again....just walk slowly past them...try to avoid eye contact....and you should be ok....saying that when I got to the hotel I made for the toilet straight away.
Sorry for my spelling mistakes and poor grammar but I started writing this review at around 4.00 am local time after a long flight back to the UK.......will upload pictures later.

Room Tip: AVOID ROOMS NEXT TO STAIRS AT ALL COSTS. perhaps rooms on the top floor would be less noisy based o...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Nattakan C, General Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Bangkok, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for to dedicated your time sharing your experience during your recent stay with us. Your comment was joyful to read and glad that your stay was pleasant. As you mentioned about our rooftop, I have already assigned to our housekeeping mate to schedule tidy up our rooftop. Also, we do have some refreshment selling at our lobby now. For your other suggestions, I will bring up to our board meeting to find out our solution to improve your stay even better in the near future.

Thank you once again for your comments. I really hope to welcome you again sometime soon.

London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stayed at The Phoenix Hotel for 3 nights, to be close to the airport during the protests in Bangkok. Had a deluxe room with breakfast.

The best thing about it was the free hourly shuttle from / to the airport, which I used a couple of times to get into Bangkok by getting to the airport, then taking the airport link to get to central Bangkok. Once you are the airport you have to find the hotel rep, who is located at the arrivals hall, next to gate number 4, and they will call the driver. You might have to wait for 5-10 minutes, be sure to let the hotel rep knows you're waiting for the Phoenix hotel minibus and, if it takes a bit longer, remind them, as they are quite busy & might forget (I met a lady who has been waiting for the shuttle for much longer than 15 minutes).

The staff are helpful, although they were not able to offer much advice about safety of venturing out to Bangkok or transport tips.

There is a cafe downstairs, in case you don't feel like venturing outside for street food - loved the crepe cake! The reception staff arranged for me to have a very late breakfast, because I was leaving too early on my last day. There was some resistance from the staff in the cafe, even thought I had a note from the reception, but it was resolved in the end. Breakfast choice is quite limited - omelette, toast, black Lipton tea or coffee, orange juice from the carton. Omelette with vegetables and cheese was quite filling, the white toast & butter was not great. Had a vegetarian green curry for dinner, and it was quite tasty.

The room is modern and spacious, good WiFi signal, there is no safe, but you can leave your valuables at reception. There is a TV, and a hair dryer. Nice fragrant complimentary shower gel and shampoo in the bathroom, two big and one small towels. The AC was quite strong. Had the best sleep, very soft pillows, albeit interrupted at 7am with people moving out and cleaning staff working in the rooms down the hall. There is no lift in the new (deluxe) section of the building, the guys from the hotel get your bag up and also come to your room before you check out to take the bags down (for a tip, of course).

A pleasant stay and well worth the money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Nattakan C, General Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Bangkok, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for to dedicated your time sharing your feedback during your recent stay with us. I am really please to know that your stay was pleasant. I am sorry for miscommunication between our front staff and our waitress for your breakfast.

I am really hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best wishes,

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I moved here as I had an early flight and it proved to be a good alternative.
Very friendly staff, and 5-10 min drive to international airport.
There are two towers and I had a room in the old one.
Rooms very clean, wet bathroom, good restaurant and hourly shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback during your stay with us at The Phoenix Hotel. It is my pleasure to know that you have marked us to be your alternative airport hotel. Also, glad that your stay was pleasant.

I am really hope that The Phoenix Hotel will be your regular airport hotel in Bangkok one day. You may possibly try our deluxe room next time.

Look forward to welcome you back with us soon.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

This hotel offers a free mini bus service to the airport which was ideal for us as we had to fly out of BKK. The staff are friendly and helpful. There is a cafe attached to the hotel, but we found this too pricey and the street food just outside of the hotel was amazing at less than half the price.

We had a double room with en suite. The room was clean and had free biscuits/tea and coffee which was nice. There was also a tv, hair dryer and balcony, although the view wasn't anything special. The hotel is fairly modern but it feels like it is not finished.

We payed approx £9 for the night. All in all well worth the money.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you to dedicated your time for sharing your feedback regarding to your recent stay with us.I am really glad to know that you had pleasant stay at the Phoenix Hotel. I hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Best wishes,

Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed in the newer section (deluxe) of the two buildings. There was a lot of friendly staff from drivers, luggage attendants and reception. It was probably one of the more friendlier hotel staff in Bangkok. They spoke English well enough to get by and give some directions. The room was clean but had some wear. The bathroom was modern and large. We had a balcony that was for smoking but the room smelled of smoke. We could hear the airplanes, but it didn't seem to loud or frequent for a Friday night. On the 3rd floor facing the street, we didn't hear much street noise. There are plenty of convenient stores and street food vendors within walking distance. Airport transportation was friendly, great & very easy (just ask any of the guys where the Phoenix Hotel guy is). I would probably stay here again if I had an early flight out.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am really please to read your positive comment on our staff. I will share this to our staff to compliment them and encourage them to even do better. As I noticed about some wear in our deluxe room. Thus, we already have an improvement project to fresh up our deluxe room at the moment.

Look forward to welcome you back again with us soon.

Warm regards,

Nattakan C.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangkok
Siam Place Airport Hotel
#2 of 5 in Racha Thewa
The Cottage Suvarnabhumi
The Cottage Suvarnabhumi
#364 of 851 in Bangkok

Been to The Phoenix Hotel Bangkok? Share your experiences!