“A Wonderful Sanctuary”
Review of The Siam

The Siam
Ranked #1 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Staying at The Siam felt like coming home to a wonderful sanctuary removed from the bustle of Bangkok city life. The design is so tastefully done and I love how there's so much natural light and open courtyards. The staff are super attentive and caring and the GM, Jason Friedman has so much passion for his work and in sharing with you his personal recommendations that it really gives a soul to the place. I loved using their gym in the morning and their delicious and healthy breakfast menu. Even though it's quite a bit up the Chao Praya river, they have a very comfortable boat with regular shuttle hours to the BTS and the ride itself is very enjoyable and relaxing. I would definitely recommend The Siam for anyone seeking to stay along the river and in the original old centre of Bangkok.

Room Tip: If you are a single traveller, then take The Siam Suite, otherwise definitely go for the River View...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 December 2013

I stayed at The Siam hotel with my girlfriend during October 2013. We stayed in a Mae Nam suite which benefits from a view towards the river. The suite had a large king size bed and separate sitting area. The TV featured a nice selection of background music and on demand movies free of charge.

The bathroom benefits from a large standalone bath tub and separate shower and WC. We would have liked to have seen some spa style bath products available (bath salts etc) other than the standard shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. The room can also become a bit of a maze at night as to get from the bed to the bathroom as you have to navigate left past the sinks, forward towards the door, right past the wardrobe and then try to find your way through the curtains into the bathroom area which can be a bit frustrating when jet lagged. We also found that the shower did not drain very well.

The public areas are full of old antiques such as medical equipment and animal specimens which were interesting to look at and to photograph. There is also a tea shop towards the front of the hotel with an outdoor seating area. The hotel décor had a French colonial feel. We discovered a stylish retro style cinema area complete with old movie cameras and cinema chairs; I believe you can request to use this area to watch a film with friends. We looked at the gym and the spa both of which were to a very high standard.

The hotel has a nice traditional wooden Thai house style restaurant situated facing the river which serves a mix of Western and Thai dishes, although the menu didn't seem to change at all whilst we were there. Breakfast featured a nice mix of Thai and western dishes a la carte served under the traditional Thai wooden house with nice views out to the morning barges going along the river.

We were disappointed to find that The Bath House was not yet open when we went to visit as this looks very nice in the photos on the website.

The hotel has a courtesy luxury boat service down the river to Sathorn Pier which was a nice touch as the hotel is situated away from the main areas of Bangkok and the boat avoids all the daily Bangkok traffic.

I'd recommend The Siam for a couple of days of luxury relaxation away from the noise of central Bangkok.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2013

The property is very new and beautifully done. It has an exclusive, elegant atmosphere. A personal butler is assigned on arrival. The butler and the entire staff are very well trained and warmly attentive. The rooms are very large and exquisitely appointed. A thoughtful design allows the night maid to close off some of the space with drapes making the room intimate for sleeping. The architecture throughout is marvelous. Dining was very good. Breakfast is overlooking the river with a very pleasant breeze. Again, the staff and service were as fine as we have ever experienced. Every part of the hotel is appointed with collections, from ancient Chinese, historical Thai, cameras, porcelain to Thai boxing, including a Thai boxing ring in an area of a very complete fitness facility. Each corner brings another surprise. The owners have given the property a personality of exclusive comfort. Excellent, in every regard. Its location on the river provides a very pleasant alternative to taxis. The most widely traveled will have a wonderfully fresh experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The Siam… where to start on this gorgeous new boutique hotel in Bangkok? From the moment you arrive, it is obvious that the staff is passionate about the hotel, it’s guests and what they do. And then you realise why. Meet the GM, Jason Friedman, and his passion for the property resonates life in those around him and creates a captivating atmosphere throughout this art-deco inspired haven adorned with magnificent relics and artefacts dating back hundreds of years.

My partner and I were lucky enough to stay at The Siam for ten nights during November/December and I have to say, what an unforgettable choice we made. Bangkok is a 24/7 city and the hustle and bustle of it all can become a little overwhelming at times. But escaping to Old Bangkok – where The Siam is – and you truly feel like you are in another world. The great news is that the hustle and bustle is just a short tuk-tuk or taxi ride away, but we highly recommend using the hotel’s luxury hand-crafted boat which blissfully shuttles guests up and down the Chao Phraya River, stopping at various points along the way... a gorgeous and convenient gateway to all that Bangkok has to offer.

The food… world-class and exceptionally yummy! Both traditional Thai and western cuisine grace the menus and we were lucky enough to meet the new Executive Chef, Jane-Therese, who hails from Australia and has a culinary pedigree second to none. She is a great and warm ambassador for the place… coming out to meet guests during service, chat to us about the menus, our likes/dislikes and made us feel like we were sitting in a friend’s dining room – part of the home-away-from-home experience that comes so naturally to this hotel. I highly recommend the chef’s table and cooking class – both intimate and truly enjoyable experiences.

The suites… divine! Art-deco inspired sophistication and comfort at its regal best, and I believe the bathrooms have been voted as some of the best in the world by Forbes Magazine… not hard to tell why. Our Personal Butler, Oat, was just charming and took care of our every need in such an anticipatory and discreet way. What a shame there just wasn’t enough room in our luggage to sneak him away with us when we left (claw marks on the front doors I might add) :-) 

Activities… there is a lot do in the areas that surround the hotel and Jason even took us out one evening to enjoy some amazing street food at a little traditional corner café called Jae Fai. What a fantastic and novel idea… imagine the GM of the best city hotel in the world doing that for his guests? Wow factor! And that’s just it… there is nothing conventional about this hotel… it stands out for being extraordinary. Extraordinary in architectural and interior design. Extraordinary in its intimate approach to exceptional guest experiences. Extraordinary in its people for delivering what I have to say, was a holiday in Bangkok that exceeded all our expectations.

Would I recommend a stay here? Let me put it this way… I would not have wanted to travel through this life without staying at The Siam along the way, and I will certainly travel back to experience it all over again. GO and enjoy Bangkok like never before! A heartfelt thank you to Jason, Nawee, Jane-Therese and all the beautiful staff at the Siam… you are unforgettable human beings :-) 

Room Tip: The standard suites (I hate to use the word standard because they are far from it) are exceptional s...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Toyi T
Reviewed 8 December 2013

By god this is a superb hotel. The design, the staff, the management under the acutely talented and experienced New York expat Jason Friedman along with Nawee Wattanasongsuit is absolutely exceptional.

If you were to peruse a beautiful Thai architectural museum with a design strong on art deco you would come a little close to understanding the aesthetics. The lighting, the showcases of stunningly in keeping artefacts with detail beyond my (admittedly limited) knowledge. The lighting, the utter perfection, I cannot think of a way to describe every nuance of The Siam. If you are interested in beauty and design this is one of a kind.

Furthermore the staff are undeniable with attention, (not too much, just perfect) the personal butler service and ours was a sweetheart, the follow through with detail regarding individual activity and preferences from table setting in the evening through to drinking water in the room.

The rooms are of course stunning. Huge, beautiful, tasteful, private.

The guest in this hotel wants for nothing but is not left feeling overwhelmed by overattentive staff. Service is unobtrusive and observantly casual.

We had the privilege of attending a private cooking class. A trip to the local market with Chef Thawachin who was knowledgable and didn't make us feel like stupid tourists which is difficult because we rarely take classes, and never tours so feeling like a disrespectful tourist was important! On return from the market there was an area set for two, on the river, a purpose built kitchen and table for eating. Chef Oil oversaw the class and was a complete delight. Exceptional in her cooking and knife skills was a given, her personality is enigmatic. We will treasure her memory. Oh and the food was good too...VERY good. We chose three courses in advance. I'm a Northern Thailand cuisine fan as I like a lighter touch with punchy flavours and therefore chose a clean Tom Puk Taek (mixed seafood hot sour soup) for entree, Gaeng Hung Laey Gai (red chicken curry Chiang Mai style - cooked with herbs and spices with chicken stock) and a departure from the north with a Tubtim Grob for desert. This is the one I hadn't tried in any variety before. Water chestnuts coated in tapioca flour and pomegranate syrup than cooked to resemble the look (not texture or taste) of pomegranate, sitting in cold sweet coconut milk a few squares of coconut jelly and a topping of a stunning coconut water granita (traditionally simple staved ice). Fresh, cold, not too sweet just perfectly balanced. The textures of this dish with the firm jelly, crisp but sweet coated water chestnut, creamy simple cold coconut milk and frosty granita. Thais had textures to a fine art before Michelin started producing anything!

Suffice to say this is an extraordinary hotel. Thank you to the Sukosol family for conceptualising this treasure in Bangkok and to the exceptional staff for the faultless guest experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2013

From the moment you enter The Siam you are surprised and delighted by this not-to-be missed luxury property. The staff is top-notch and discreet. The hotel is owned by a family of Thai artists and performers -- and everywhere you turn, you are enchanted by the hotel's mesmerizing beauty and idiosycratic creativity. The owners have furnished the hotel with their vast collection of antiques with a focus on Thai history. There are wonderful unexpected touches everywhere -- including an old-fashion movie screening room. The lovely Chon Restaurant sits right on the River and serves delicious food. The rooms are spacious and gorgeously furnished. The Spa is not to be missed, as it is the most beautiful spa facility I have ever seen. If you really want to splurge and have an unforgettable experience, then The Siam is just the place you want to be!

Room Tip: The Pool Villas are fantastic. Each has its own private upstairs roof deck and beautifully landscap...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Bangkok. I'm sure images of a bustling city, food, and a shopping paradise come to mind. Let's also not forget the bumper to bumper traffic, life-risking tuktuk drivers, and the yummy street food whose smells waft in the city, cavort with the exhaust fumes and cling to your clothes.

Most Singaporeans go there for a quick weekend jaunt, respite from our similarly busy city, for a shopping/eating marathon. So when I tell people I came back from a three week trip to Bangkok, most are pretty shocked.

"Surely you went out of the city right? Chiang Mai? Koh Samui?" asked some.

Yet others blatantly scrutinise my face and body, looking for tell-tale signs of "remodelling" work done.

No, my dear friends. I have not come back with a bigger rack, or a suntan from lying at the beach. But, I am back here to tell you that I am convinced that with the convenience of Bangkok being as close as it is, you can have the ever elusive "Great Escape".

The perfect getaway for me would be a balance: A nice quiet place where I can recharge my batteries, meditate, and laze about doing nothing but with all the conveniences of a city nearby where I can shop, and eat or drink, and party as and when the mood takes me. And never before have I found the perfect combination till I stumbled upon this gem of a hotel.

Situated along the beautiful Chao Praya in the Dusit district, The Siam hotel might be a little hard to find, but it is well worth the hunt.

About 20 to 40 minutes to Siam Paragon by cab, and about 45 minutes from the Suvarnabhumi International Airport, I would recommend that you take the hotels private river taxi at least once.

Not only do the hourly shuttles help bypass the traffic-packed roads, it is also a good way to see the older parts of Bangkok - with a cool breeze ruffling through your hair as you take in the sights as you go to and from The Siam feeling like a movie star.

And no wonder. The lovechild of the celebrity Sukosol family that stars an insanely good looking "cast" (that should really have its own reality TV show), the hotel's management features a range of personalities from its matriarch - jazz and pop vocalist Kamala Sukosol - to baby brother - actor and rock singer Krissada Sukosol Clapp - resulting in a resort that is a lesson in curated class.

From the time you step into the colonial lobby with its tranquil courtyard, it strikes you that this might be one of the coolest places on earth that you have discovered. After you give yourself a pat on the back, chuffed to bits that you have lucked out, you are torn between wanting to snap photos to instagram it to the rest of the world or keep this precious secret to yourself.

Listed as one of the Small Luxury Hotels of the world, it is evident that the place is run by people who are used to getting the best and obviously know what it is to crave privacy and peace (they are celebrities themselves afterall). No screaming kids or nouveau riche families with loud voices and over-inflated senses of entitlement here.

From the huge library with its beautiful chesterton clusters housed along rows and rows of glass cabinets displaying antiques and curios, to its quaint little cinema with red velvet and wood folding vintage cinema chairs, The Siam is a balance unto itself.

A perfect blend of old and new.

With 39 luxuriously appointed residences ranging from suites, to the charming Connie's Cottage - a century-old house that was brought by boat downriver to Bangkok from the ancient capital of Ayutthaya by curio collector, Connie Mangskau, and her dear friend, the silk merchant, Jim Thompson - I was spoilt for choice, and was pleasantly surprised when I was upgraded from my suite to a pool villa.

From the time the beautifully restored antique doors swivelled open automatically revealing a quaint courtyard with a huge daybed and a rustic staircase that spiralled up to a separate balcony (all the better to tan yourself on those daybeds, my dear), and was greeted by an impressive pool that I could jump into straight from my bedroom - I fell in love.

Anyone will be impressed with the art-deco decor but it is the little details that made me swoon.

Antique trunks flanking the cushy bed with down pillows and bedlinen with a thread count that puts you to sleep once your cheek touches the pillow. All the modern day trappings one would need to keep wired up, to its walk-in-wardrobe, facing a beautiful antique dresser - my favourite spot in the room - but no one could have prepared me for a bathroom of this proportion.

With stunning skylights on lofty ceilings that were at least 20 feet high, the bathroom, a nod to old English gentility, is massive. Lord Byron would be proud.

I could throw a party in the bathtub alone, dancing to the brilliant acoustics from the piped in speakers. And both the shower and the water closet cubicles have doors. Hallelujah! (I sent up a silent prayer of thanks that the gods of see-through-toilets-and-open-bathroom-concepts have not set foot here.)

I could also wax lyrical for days about the stunning architecture, the beautifully manicured lawns, the riverside infinity pool, the curios that surprise you at every turn that lend the place its old world charm. Or even espouse on the wonderful food served up by Chef Blair in the wonderfully refurbished teak Thai houses that were once owned by Jim Thompson's dearest friend, where private cooking classes can also be conducted upon request.

I am a firm believer that it is the people that make a place. And this, is where The Siam's real stars shine.

From the time I stepped out of my taxi and into its cool interiors, I was welcomed by my own personal butler, Khun Jill. With his gentle Thai mannerisms, he was my superman.

I wanted to find out about whether I should do a session of laser treatments for my face - I was given a list of the top few recommended clinics, what they specialised in, and their current prices and promotional rates for various treatments. When he overheard that I wanted to find thigh-high boots, an envelope with maps marking out five different places I could procure them magically appeared on my dresser.

Restaurant recommendations and reservations, appointments, bargaining to directions - he even managed to help me hunt down the elusive Karaoke mini-buses I wanted to hire for the day which I'm sure required some sleuth work.

Khun Jill was probably the one reason why I did not even feel the need for a massage throughout my stay. Handling all my needs and my appointments so efficiently, all my knots melted away with the lack of stress that planning and organising vacations sometimes takes thanks to his capable hands.

I want to bring him home.

Waking up here early mornings was also never a chore despite all its luxe trappings that lull you into wanting to stay in your room all day - not when you are greeted in the morning by a calm and smiling Khun Fifo at the state-of-the-art gym. Kettle balls, cardio machines with TVs and wireless internet, yes, they have that too. But The Siam is also the first hotel to have its own Muay Thai boxing ring.

Yes. You read right.

So every morning, I looked forward to waking up at 6.30am, and headed out eagerly for my 7am morning session of yoga with my fitness trainer, Fifo, and then an hour or so of Muay Thai. Punching bags, speedballs, and sparring in the ring that probably has the plushest padding my tootsies have ever been treated to.

The best part? All fitness sessions in The Siam are free.

Yes - you have a personal trainer at your disposal to tailor your regime to your needs and Khun Fifo is more than qualified, and even taught me a bit of taichi and had me try out a step programme for cardio while I was there too.

You can even choose different programmes during your stay from an all-out facial and spa retreat, to a seven-day Muay Thai training programme complete with a specially catered menu and soothing spa treatments at the Opium Spa to ease the lactic acid out of your sore muscles at the end of the day.

From the cheery receptionists, to Khun Phumpich, the lovely and helpful (and very young, and handsome) Public Relations officer, to the bellboys who made sure I had everything with me before bundling me into a cab prior to each shopping expedition - their smiling faces, and genuine welcomes made me feel like they were family.

At the end of my stay, I felt fit, refreshed, and more rejuvenated than I have in a long time. Something I never quite expected from a trip to Bangkok.

My dream home away from home, this place is definitely an oasis in the sea of chain-hotels. Removed from the city enough for peace and quiet, yet close enough for food and shopping, if you even want to leave the comfort of your room.

Perfect for the world-weary traveller, honeymooners or anyone who appreciates the finer things in life.

Yes, rates definitely run a little steep around here but how can you put a price tag on being able to have the best of both worlds?

Room rates range from 16,300 THB - 46,500 THB per room per night (Approxtimately S$650 - S$1860).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo