“A very happy birthday at Okura!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Okura Prestige Bangkok

The Okura Prestige Bangkok
Ranked #6 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Florence, Italy
“A very happy birthday at Okura!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

I spent my birthday evening at Okura Hotel in Bangkok and what I can stay...wonderful atmosphere, both in the Spa and at Elements restaurant, good food and very friendly and high professional staff. I would like to thank Khun Vit, Khun Noona and Khun Ballvalve for their good service during the dinner and all spa team that surprised me with "Happy Birthday" song! In my next trip I will surely stay at this beautiful hotel!!

1 Thank simone s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

Stayed in November 2012 for one night when travelling through Bangkok. A very comfortable hotel which lives up to its membership of The Leading Hotels of the World Group. Efficient service and a well appointed room with great views. Great views also from the infinity pool . There are not many sun loungers. Not a problem when we were there but if the hotel is busy I wonder if you may find they are all being used. If you like Japanese food this is the place to stay in Bangkok. If not you can also eat Western style if you prefer.

3 Thank JKM73
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

The Okura in Bangkok is quite different from the other 5-star hotels in town - a bit too subtle? or maybe no character?

The hotel was opened around half year ago so the inside/outside of the hotel looks decent and clean. The decor didn't give me a WOW feeling, it's just like any other 5-star hotel anywhere in the world.

I was very impressed by their service, they were always ready to serve. It was like a blend of the warm Thai hospitality and detailed yet simple Japanese service. The housekeeping would put some origami in the room every night which was quite lovely.

Some business travelers might find the Okura convenient as some of the bank offices are just a few minutes walk. The US and UK embassies are just right across the street. The BTS station is actually right beside the hotel and it's only one stop to Chit Lom and two stops to Siam. However, there was no malls and very little selection of restaurants around the hotel. Location-wise is not the most convenient as a lot of the hotels in Chit Lom/Siam are in similar price.

Breakfast and the complimentary tea set were a bit disappointing. The Okura could have provided more varieties of food for breakfast with better quality of juice. The desserts (especially the macarons) were appalling. The macarons were so dry and hard and at one point we were wondering if those were macarons or some kind of thai desserts.

The bedroom was nice however the toilet was set apart from the bathroom. The sink in the toilet room was too small which you have to wash your hands carefully to prevent the water spilling out.

The Okura is a pretty new hotel so if you are not too familiar with Bangkok, I'd advise you to print out a map to show the Taxi driver as a lot of the taxi drivers don't know where it is.

3 Thank JETSETTER-K861
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

Excellent hotel, rooms are very new, well designed and insulated, breakfast is amazing, views are breathtaking. We had one of the Club rooms, and they included a lot of freebies from the Club Lounge, including cocktails in the evening. Definitely worth it. This was our first stay at the Okura, and it was beyond expectations!

Room Tip: We had one of the Club rooms, and they included a lot of freebies from the Club Lounge, including co...
1 Thank PChicco
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

We were looking for a hotel for our last night in Bangkok and went in to several hotels nearby, simply asking at the lobby what kind of rooms they had, facilities, etc.

We've got quite surprised responses from the receptionists, who seemed surprised that we wanted to stay at their hotel.

Our last stop was the Okura Prestige, and the guy in the reception totally sold the place. He showed us around, took us to the pool, the gym, showed us several rooms and explained everything about the hotel.

It was definitely the hotel we were going to stay at. Big rooms, amazing service, wonderful view and we had the swimming pool with amazing views all for ourselves.

A bit on the pricey edge, but definitely a hotel I will return to.

Room Tip: Garden view is definitely better than city view.
1 Thank amaral82
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

The Okura Prestiage Bangkok was my last hotel I have stayed during my trip in Asia. I had a wonderful time in the hotel and I was a little disappointed I did not extend my stay. On arrival we were welcomed by several staff members and escorted to the room. The combination of the Japanese chainhotel and the famous service of the culture of Thailand is amazing. I am Guest Relations Officer in Hotel Okura Amsterdam and my stay in the Okura Prestiage Bangkok was beyond my expectations. I recommend this specific hotel if you are traveling to Bangkok.

3 Thank annemariekraak
Hong Kong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

After having read all the news and reviews of this new hotel from a renowned group, I set my expectation very high. Last month I decided to pamper myself, I therefore booked this hotel for a special occasion. However, I should be the least lucky person to return home with one of the worst hotel experience I ever had in my life.

I stayed in more than 50 hotels in BKK before and I am confident to say that I could make a sensible comparison. I admit that when I first saw the room rate from the official website, I had reservation initially. No one could deny that 7600 baht per night in BKK is not a low room rate, and that was why I approached Okura with high expectation.

I checked-in on 9 Nov, I arrived early at noon and I was prepared to deposit my luggage first without being assigned a room immediately. I arrived, two hotel staff members working head-down diligently behind the long dark counter but neither of them gave me a damn look. I understood that they might be busy but I swear that my friend & I were the only customers at that moment. I supposed that we were just invisible. I was initially happy and took pictures around. I waited for more than 5 mins until my patience ran out; then I should grab some attention - probably my first time to do so in a country of warm hospitality.
The check-in procedure was fine unless the hotel staff asked me if I required a twin room or double room. What a superfluous question - I was pretty sure that I specified my choice when I booked. Fine, I do not mind flaws from time to time.

We were then taken to our room. To be fair, the "hardware" of the hotel was above average but it did not take us long to discover more flaws. We took a brief rest but could not wait any longer for our luggage, which was not yet delivered. We decided to go down to the cafe and had a snack. The cafe snacks were fine but we had a wonderful company: a fly. I am used to insects in Thailand but do we accept a fly on a 24th floor in an air-con recently-built posh complex? The fly actually landed on my choco cake - a good prove of the food quality. I wish I could have taken a picture of the wonderful insect to show viewers here.

We then went out shopping. When we returned, it was after 7pm and I was a bit annoyed that our luggage was still missing. It's my first time ever that I need to chase my luggage in a hotel after checking-in.

Other flaws popped up. Guests need re-logging in using Wifi. Viewers may also be amazed to view the attached photo - could we accept a blocked drain in a 7600b per night 5-star hotel? Did housekeeping personnel properly check the room? The swimming pool was another highlight but we were treated as trespassers. When we entered the pool area, the receptionist was missing. We sat down and looked around. Then a guy approached us and asked with some hostility: "are you hotel guest?" Good, I learned a lesson - enter a pool only after asking.

The Jap breakfast was also much expected but the Yamazato restaurant failed to please. Could the management possibly notice that the sunlight was too strong and could they have an idea to lower the curtains before guests complaining? Something I regarded as common sense.

7600 baht is not cheap, even in the most expensive cities such as Tokyo or Osaka. But in the Land of Smile, where one expects warm hospitality; and if the management is supposed to be the quality-conscious Jap corporation where one expects attention to details ... Could someone please explain to me that I was the least lucky hotel guest? Or were the occurrences of all flaws mere coincidence?

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank chicmec
OkuraPrestigeBangkok, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of The Okura Prestige Bangkok on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

We sincerely apologise for the lapse in service you experienced during your stay. I can assure you this is not the norm which can be supported by the many favourable trip advisor comments and we sincerely regret that our usually high standards were not reflected during your stay. We are fully committed to ensuring that our guests receive the highest levels of service and we thank you for sharing you experience which will certainly help us to review our services.

I hope you will give us another opportunity and request that you contact the Executive Office for your future reservation. I will ensure you have a seamless and enjoyable visit.

Yours sincerely