“Beware of what you want - more for business traveller”

The Okura Prestige Bangkok
Ranked #5 of 880 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 16 February 2013

The hotel is conveniently located, just right next to the BTW Phloen Chit station and you can walk from the hotel building to the station via a covered walkway. But location is the best thing about this hotel.

If you are a holiday maker, coming to Bangkok for leisure, I think this hotel is not a good choice. First, the swimming pool is almost useless. It is completely shaded and can't see the sun from around Dec to Feb every year (to be exact, the sun do shine on the pool from 7 to 9 ish in the morning, but only part of it receives sunlight). The water in the pool is icy, can hardly swim. And there aren't many sun beds. The hotel also lacks a garden and doesn't offer any kind of relaxing environment or Thai ambience. The hotel is on the top floors of a modern office building, and once you inside, you won't be able to tell that you are in Bangkok. It can be just another 5 star hotel in any other big cities. It certainly lacks character.

Service is very nice. And staff are very friendly. Rooms are not too big and it is average Bangkok 5 star size. Nothing amazing. The bathroom and toilets are separated and is relatively bigger than other hotels. I like the walk in closet, and it comes with ironing board, a safe and ample area for hanging clothes.

Free wi-fi comes with the room, but it is slow. For higher speed, you have to pay. The buffet breakfast is just so so. Choices are not that good, and I had better breakfast in other Bangkok hotels.

There are many 5 star hotels in Bangkok and competition is keen. I would not say that it is not good, but Okura is just not good enough to stand out amid the competitors in Bangkok. It could be the best hotel in other cities, but certainly not in Bangkok. For business traveller, it might be a good choice, but for someone travelling for leisure, you better do more research first.

Lastly, while taking BTS from the hotel is extremely convenient, taking taxi is not that easy, especially from the front entrance facing Wittayu (Wireless) Road. Hard to find a taxi to come in.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TripMember06092015
SamirWildemann, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Dear Client,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at The Okura Prestige Bangkok. It is always a pleasure to receive your feedback.
I also thank you for your posting. It is always a pleasure if our clients share their experience at our Hotel. The pool, facing north, is obviously more in the shade during the winter months, but between April and September you will find sunshine from sunrise to sunset, guaranteed. We will have additional sun-lounges available by then too.
I would also like to share with you that we are planning to heat the water in our pool with solar panels as of the coming winter season.

As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation and as such we are very thankful to receive such feedback.

Samir R. Wildemann
samir.wildemann@okurabangkok.com

There are newer reviews for The Okura Prestige Bangkok

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Amazing hotel, huge rooms, we had a superior one, great view, good breakfast, v helpful staff. It v big and we feel u r the only one there...like the whole place is yours..We really love it! we ll defenetly go again!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I spent 2 memorable nights at the Okura Prestige Hote in Bangkok last 2nd and 3rd February 2013, at the end of a 15-day trip to Cambodia and Vietnam. The hotel was just the "icing on the cake"!
I work myself in the hospitaly industry, and what really impressed me is the very high level and standar of service achieved by this hotel in barely 1 year from its opening. From the arrival to the departure, all was just impeccable. I was upgraded to a superior room, very large and comfortable. The buffet breakfast at Up and Above is amazing, never seen such a variety and abundance of products anywhere I had stayed before. The spa features an amazing pool on the 25th floor with a fantastic view on the city of Bangkok. I bought a special spa package and tried a scrub and the Okura Signature massage, superbably perfomed by Ms Supee (great asset for the Spa Department of the hotel!). The bar features a open-air terrace where you cay lay down and relax, staring at the city skyline. I found the interior design of the hotel very simple, but also very elegant at the same time. The Okura Prestige Hotel has a direct access to Bangkok Skytrain, very convenient if you want to go around and discover the city. I'd like to thank all the hotel staff and congratulate on them for their very good job.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I have been visitied a few time to Bangkok and this is my first time to choose Okura. I have been staying 5 nights in Feb 2013, my overall experience is quite good but I would have one thing want to comment on.

The bed is comfortable but the pillows are really bad which we actually can't fall asleep at night. (one is very hard and the other one is very soft). Therefore we ask the reception if they have another choice of pillows, I request if they have pillows with the hardness in the middle of the two pillows, they said yes, however they only give us two small pillow with sand inside the pillow eventually which is absolutely not ok for sleeping.

Any other things besides the pillows are really nice. Services and hotel staff are really great. Spa is quite good too but just a bit expensive.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jordan,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us. While I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your visit, I am very sorry that our pillows were not up to your expectations. The pillows on the bed are either 100% Duck Down and for the firmer one out of Microlux fibres. In addition we offer a whole variety of alternatives and the fact that we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory solution during your stay is very regrettable. Your comment has prompted a review of our services and I hope on your return you will enjoy our facilities and more importantly, a perfect good night’s sleep!
We sincerely thank you for sharing your comments.
With our best regards

Samir R Wildemann

Reviewed 12 February 2013

An excellent choice in such a big city!
If i can give this hotel 6* i would ...
Fantastic hotel highly recommended. Staff are really helpful, location is great just seconds away from sky train. All Rooms are deluxe, breakfast is incredible, pool breathtaking...pure luxury!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Nothing to add at the title, fantastic experience, I stay there twice, my place in Bkk.
Excellent position, almost direct access to the mrt, beautiful rooms, fantastic views, very good room service, beautiful atmosphere

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlbiMilan_Italy
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Excelent welcome at check in.
Perfect and well know Staff, in Hotelskills and english.
The Hotel give me an feeling to stay calm and peacefull.
The Rooms are N I C E, mordern with japanese touch, hight tech is present as well.
The Room have an big, style-selected and usefull bathroom.
The Pool is an must and recreation area is well with an good Sauna.
The Hotel BTS access was very usefull for me to do my buiness meetings in the city as well my free time trips for prevent the traffic and to be car-free.
The Dinnig:
Breakfast in up & above was an excelent buffet, everything is present what will give you perfect start in the day.
Elements for Dinner is an choice of extra gourmet, top live cooking and top taste.
And I give me the round up with the finshing drink on the up & above balcony at night.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends