“Beautiful contemporary hotel, great food and service”

The Okura Prestige Bangkok
Ranked #6 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Excellent atmosphere and impeccable service. Beautiful design in every detail. Lavish breakfast which can be eaten inside or on the outside terrace. Fantastic Japanese food with great views in Yamazato restaurant. Nice pool, although on the north side of the building so no sunshine and it can even be a bit chilly up there. Convenient entrance to the BTS. Happy with every aspect!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
SamirWildemann, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Thank you so much for your excellent review and we are really glad you enjoyed your stay over the Year End Period! I will share your kudos with the kitchen team as they manage every day to make every meal special, and that starts with our ‘talk-of-the-town breakfast’ buffet.
For the pool, as it is very much in the shade during the winter solstice from late November to early February, we are now heating the pool water to an ambient temperature until the sunshine heats up the water again. The uniqueness of our pool layout, being cantilevered on the side of the building on the 25th floor, is that one can enjoy sunshine from sunrise to sunset starting in Spring all the way to late Autumn and I hope there is a future opportunity for you to enjoy this once again in the tropical sun!
Thank you so much for your business and our most sincere wishes for the New Year.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We spent three nights at this wonderful hotel. Despite a late arrival we were warmly and efficiently greeted. Our room was fairly spaciously and very comfortable. There is an exceptional attention to detail in designing the rooms, including a single control for everything (lights, temperature, wake up alarm, etc). We did not use many of the hotel's amenities, although the concierge was very helpful.

We were there over Christmas, and the staff was certainly in a celebratory mood. Each guest received a large themed macaron and a stocking full of delightful treats on Christmas Eve.

The hotel is next to the Phloen Chit Skytrain station and about 15 minutes walk (or 2 Skytrain stops) from the Siam Center and CentralWorld shopping centers. Getting to the main tourist attractions (Grand Palace area) requires Skytrain and boat ride, so you are a ways away. Although there are a couple of small (but good) food outlets in the building, you are not particularly close to areas with a lot of local restaurants.

Overall we had a fantastic time at the hotel and the Okura would be my first choice in Bangkok or anywhere they have a property.

Dear Lee L
Thank you for giving us such great feedback on your TripAdvisor review following your recent stay at our Bangkok property over the Christmas Holidays!
We are delighted our location was of such a big plus to you, especially for the shopping. The Sky Train also makes access to several of the notable tourist attractions a lot easier as they all are in areas away from major Hotels and with the train you can avoid the traffic. The renowned Chatuchak week-end Market can also be directly accessed via our station. Due to open in the first quarter of 2014 across our property will be one of Bangkok’s most talked about malls, and our property will be linked via an overhead footpath, making your next visit certainly an even better experience as the mall will feature a vast array of food outlets.
I do hope though that you will try too some of our restaurants such as Elements, where Chef Henry Jordan would be delighted to tingle your taste buds with his creations. Thank you too for your very kind comments with regards to our staff and the service we all provided.

We certainly are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Okura Prestige on your next trip to Thailand.
With our very best regards

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights while we visited Bangkok as tourists.

First the bad:
The hotel is not really walking distance to the major tourist attractions (Wat Po, Grand Palace, etc.). The location appears to be more of an upscale business district. You can take a taxi to the tourist areas, but I was advised that it can take up to an hour in rush hour. After having seen the traffic during rush hour, I believe it.

Now the good:
1. You can access the above ground train without leaving the hotel building. Unfortunately, Bangkok did not have the insight to build the train anywhere near the tourist attractions. So the best thing to do is to take the train to the river and board the tourist boat which lets you get on and off at each tourist attraction. I have been to cities all over the world, and this is not the most efficient means of accessing the tourist attractions I have ever encountered. But it is bearable.

2. The hotel itself is fantastic! The lobby is not at ground level. Rather, it is located on the 23rd floor (or thereabouts...I cannot recall exactly). The lobby is modern with a very high ceiling and spectacular indoor and outdoor views of the city.

3. The staff is very accommodating, friendly, and helpful, and they speak decent English.

4. The rooms are very nice--particularly if you like modern/contemporary accommodations! The large shower/bath was impressive and the toilet seat was conveniently warmed electrically.

5. When we travel, we like to experience the local foods and eat at small local restaurants. Nonetheless, the first day, we were still a bit jet-lagged so we opted for the hotel breakfast. How fortuitous! Huge selection and high quality! They had Thai food, Chinese food, Japanese food, American food, and European breakfast foods. The breakfast was so good, my wife and I both agreed to go back to the hotel breakfast on the second day.

6. The infinity pool is awesome! It's on the 24th floor (or thereabouts) and overlooks the city skyline. Even if you don't want to swim, you should check out the pool!

Overall, we were extremely impressed with this hotel, and would definitely stay here again upon our return to Bangkok.

1  Thank joelsss44

Dear Joelsss44,
Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit to The Okura Prestige Bangkok.

I was thrilled to read that your first trip to Bangkok was not disappointing, although you are right that access to most of the city’s cultural attractions are best reached by using the train and then the river as one certainly wants to avoid being stuck in traffic. Your kind comments about our facilities are most appreciated and I am delighted that you found it a nice environment to relax in, especially after a long day out exploring this bustling metropolis full of contrasts.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always gratifying to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the staff and that their service is duly recognised.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We have stayed now in a number of Bangkok hotels during a month long visit- the Sofitel Sukhumvit, Sofitel So and the Kempinsky. In the past we have also stayed at the Peninsula, the Grand Hyatt and the Shangri -La. So far, this hotel has been my favourite. The attention to detail is amazing- a small touch pad near the bed for selecting lighting including mood lighting, an electric kettle on a pull out shelf with a variety of teas available, a very light and comfortable duvet, excellent bed and great use of space. Even the bottles of water were decorated with an orchid. Our room was elegant, understated and practical- just how we like it. The pool was gently heated, the breakfast was great (so far only hotel to include mango) and the service outstanding. It was gracious (especially the concierge) without being 'over the top'. Housekeeping was exceptionally good. During my visit, I also tripped on a stair and sprained my ankle the staff were very kind and helpful. Recommend very highly. I will return when I visit Bangkok in the future.

Dear oliverAustralia,
Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience on TripAdvisor of your most recent stay at The Okura Prestige Bangkok.
We are delighted the little touches like the orchids in your room left such a nice impression on you and thank you too for your lovely comments on our Food and Beverage services, especially the breakfast, where the fruit station certainly deserves a special mention! Have you tried the young coconuts? We are thrilled you liked it all! We look forward to welcoming you back to The Okura Prestige on your next trip to Thailand and please allow us to assist you directly with your booking arrangements; it would be with our greatest pleasure

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I don' even know where to begin - I found my new favourite hotel in Bangkok.
Did some extensive travelling across SE asia and mostly stayed at 5* properties including 2stays this year at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.

For my last stay in Bangkok for the year I was looking for something new, since the Sheraton is undergoing refurbishments and I had a noisy room during daytime at my last stay. Did some research here which other 5* hotels could be an alternative, looked at the Interconti, the W and the Okura. I've read some reviews about the Okura and the japanese concept appealed to me so I booked it.

And I was not disappointed - this place exceeded my expetations. Warm welcome, attentive and friendly staff at the reception, free upgrade, the entire room concept (Bath and toilet separately, japanese toilet with heated seat :), walk-in closet, the high quality amenities, the elgenat linens and sheets.Every detail in the room, from the japanes tea set, to the nicely integrated water cooker, the origami set and crane on my bed the turndown service left for me...All these details, there was so much to discover in the room. I felt so great and comfortable there. And I was even happier with my choice when it was breakfast time. I thought the breakfast at the Sheraton was the benchmark but they just got outperformed by the Okura team. 4 kinds of freshly squeezed juices, incredible selection of pastries and cereals. Everything just tasted great and staff was attentive and friendly whenever you needed something. Will return, thank you Okura team!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear CharKoeyTeow,
many, many thanks for taking the time to write this fantastic review of your most recent stay at The Okura Prestige Bangkok.
First of all I am happy to read that you are glad you have chosen our hotel based on the reviews and were not disappointed. We opened our doors 1 /1/2 years ago and the team has been working continuously so as to make every single guest stay special, and this start with the first meal of the day where Chef Gai and his team are able to really make a difference. Have you tried our Japanese set Breakfast in Yamazato too where Hagiwara-san and his team are up early every morning to make this special too?
It is a great pleasure to read how much you enjoyed staying with us and I am thrilled to pass on your experiences and kudos to my team.
Wishing you the very best from Bangkok and looking forward to welcoming you back very soon
Sincerely

Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is for my Wedding Anniversary celebration, and this is the great experience every I have.
1. It is new: Of course as the hotel just opened in year 2012, however the house keeper really done a good work on it.
2. This is high technology hotel. Internet access via TV, Light control by a touch screen panel, few USB port and universal plug including HDMI. Very impress.
3. Surprise for us: We received a cake and rose for our celebration, and the cake is tasty!
4. Tasty breakfast: There have 2 choice for breakfast, buffet or Japanese. We tried buffet for our stay only, although not many choice, but with quality so we didn’t change even we stay more than 1 night.
5. Close to BTS: This is just next to Phloen Chit station, convenient location and taxi to Airport only take about 35minutes.
Overall I would say this is the best every I have stay. I used to be a frequent traveler and stay in 5 Start hotel for business purpose, so the key is comfortable / clean and polite, and they really doing a great job for it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
SamirWildemann, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Jill N
Thank you for taking the time to write a glowing review on The Okura Prestige Bangkok. We could not be happier that you felt our staff made you feel so welcome and that you were able to enjoy your anniversary here with us!
We are passionate about service and are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experiences with with all the little touches that came with it! The 24th floor breakfast buffet overlooking the hustle and bustle of the city from above is a must-do, and we are more than pleased that you took pleasure in our food offerings.
We hope that we have the honour of welcoming you back to our Bangkok Hotel soon and all the team is so pleased to note that we made you feel so special for this so very important occasion!
Happy Anniversary!
Samir Wildemann & team

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

While visiting Bangkok on our honeymoon, we made a last minute decision to stay a couple of days at the Okura Prestige Hotel. I am so grateful we did! I am a Neuromuscular therapist and do deep tissue massage for a living. As a result, I have very tense overworked muscles that are difficult at best to massage into submission. Tina, at the Okura Spa, absolutely amazed me with her skill in relaxing even the toughest of cantankerous muscle tension. Thank you, Tina!
As for the rest of the hotel: The Okura offers a pleasant super friendly staff, BTS rail line to shopping and night life adventure, absolutely fantastic Japanese dining, and an amazing high rise view of the city from our room. We decided to accept the premier club package and room (which was spacious and very comfortable) and are very pleased with our accommodations.

We will definitely be recommending the Okura to our friends who travel.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Roni41

Dear Roni41,
Thank you so much for writing this review and for sharing your stay experience to the TripAdvisor community.
It’s a joy to read about your fantastic stay at The Okura Prestige Bangkok and the team at the Okura Spa certainly has contributed to a big extent!
I have shared your kudos with Khun Meaw, our Spa manager, and even more so with Khun Tina your therapist! They were so pleased to read that you found your treatment ‘absolutely amazing’!
I also see you had time to explore the hotel’s central location.
Thank you again for your review and for recommending our hotel to your friends who travel!
Looking forward to welcoming you back one day!
Yours sincerely