“Okura - the perfect fusion of japanese perfectionism and thai friendliness”

The Okura Prestige Bangkok
Ranked #6 of 871 Hotels in Bangkok
ZUG
“Okura - the perfect fusion of japanese perfectionism and thai friendliness”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We (my wife and myself) spend three days in the Okura and were fully satisfied.

Just to give you an idea on the level of service:
I recieved a message on the screen of the two TV's, a written message on paper under der the door and a voice mail on the phone system with this message concerning my complimentary favourite newspaper:

"Warm greetings from the concierge team!
Regarding Financial Time Newspaper please be informed that today can not delivery to our hotel because they have a problem about transportation. However, they will send to our hotel on tomorrow about 16:00 hrs."

The next day I got FT including the week-end insert.

Would I have missed the FTanyway? No not actually.

But for the staff of this hotel, the smallest details matter. That is what makes the difference.

There are many other small stories to be told - but I suggest you go to the OKURA yourself and make the experience.

You will be delighted.

Room Tip: Book the club level - it is value for money.
1 Thank Kypt P
SamirWildemann, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear POKYPT,
Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience on TripAdvisor.
It was a pleasure to read of your stay and that you had particularly enjoyed the many little touches that we provide. With regards to the newspapers, we now also offer to all our clients, via an App on your Tablet, free access to over 2400 Newspapers in the world, and there is guaranteed no issues with delivery delays here!
May we also thank you for your very glowing reviews which you have posted separately on our Yamazato and our Up&Above restaurants, we enjoyed sharing your comments in our meeting this morning and they certainly made our day!
From all 390 associates at the Okura Prestige Bangkok we say 'Thank You' for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Samir Wildemann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have booked this hotel mainly because of the pool "hanging" out of the building on 24th floor. But other aspects of my stay didn't disappoint as well. The architecture and decor are matter of taste - I loved it both. We stayed in corner room as I like city views and that was a great choice- even though you can completely black out the room with their high-tech electronic room manager device but our windows stayed uncovered for 24 hours/day - the views of the city around were so fantastic day or night that I didn't want to lose a minutę of it.
I loved the pool. Some reviewers coplained on the size but I have never met a bigger one in a city hotel, only resorts have them for understsndable reason. Also number of sunchairs there (10 lying and 8 sitting plus few extra tables for eating) seem to be sufficient- never had a problem with finding one and was using the pool every day various hours. There is also a sauna and good gym.
Room was greatly equipped, including complimentary coffee maker and green tea set (all japanese quality). I must admit that the room was best equipped among all 5 star hotels I have ever seen and it is pretty big number acros the world.
Service - in my opiniom top notch. Some may coplained that's śmielsze are artificial, but how they measure this? After all it does not matter. And they are all veeery helpful and I was using their hełp a lot with various arrangements around the city- from external premium SPA , cruise dinner, taxis and others. They handlem all my personal requests fast, faultlesly and with broad smile. I don't needed more.
Brakfast - the only meal I had there as we were drinking out. It was very good in termos of choice and quality as well as service level. My only concern was about śmierdzi salmon, it was way below average, hardly acceptable.
Coctails- expensive, but that' s the case of all 5 star places. Quality good and the view...!

In this bunch of ohs and as there is one thing that annoyed me a big deal - SMOKING is aloud on the pool and external 24th floor patio !! I actually could't believe my eyes and ears ( as I have asked the staff to Chuck if I see properly). And yes, in 21st century, not in China (where people still smoke even in elevators, literally everywhere) non- smoking must run away from the stink.
Com on Okura managers, haven' t you heard of smoking boots ( the ones that you can meet in restaurants in european countries or in the airports) ?
Other than that - great hotel.

One more advise - many reviewers complained that there are no places to eat QuickClips and cheaper than in the hotel restaurants. WRONG - there is an small shoping and food center in All Season Plaza, just 500 meters away, on the same side of Wireless Road, past Plaża Athenee hotel, with bunch of budget restaurants ( including few Thai, Burger Kinga, chinease, japanese and others) and several stopa and nice supermarket.

Room Tip: Corner room- great views, executive if you stay in hotel a lot ( we didn't).
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ROSEFLOWER7-7
Dear Roseflower7-7,
Thank you for your review and most of all thank you for your business and we would be delighted if we would have the opportunity to welcome you back one day. Thank you too for praising the high service levels which you rated as being ‘top-notch’.
On the other hand I must sincerely apologize that you were disturbed by cigarette smoke on our outside deck. Obviously smoking in all enclosed areas is forbidden by law and it is only on one side of the outside terrace where it is tolerated in our building. With time I am sure this area will shrink and disappear - one day soon - and be reserved entirely for non-smokers.
With regards to the room functionality and design, our guest rooms come in many forms and layouts as our building's exterior is uniquely shaped, we do have a dozen different room types and our standard room size averages 46 m2 (495ft2), all the way up to 302m2 (3250ft2) for the largest suite. The corner room you occupied is indeed very popular, but my favourite is the Premier Club Room due to its layout and the bed facing the windows.
Do stay in touch and we hope to be able to welcome you back to The Okura Prestige Bangkok soon again.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We enjoyed a 2 night (too short) stay at this elegant luxurious 5 star hotel.
The perfect location in the Lumpini district - with easy access (into the hotel) at the Skytrain Phloen Chit station.
The Zen-like accommodation is super comfortable, the breakfasts will satisfy a food connoisseur and the gym and rim-flow pool on the 25th floor are the cherry on the top!
Will definitely return when visiting Bangkok again.

Dear GailRJohannesburg,
Many thanks for your review - and for choosing our Bangkok hotel. We have shared your comments with our entire team and needless to say, we are thrilled to read about your exceptional stay. We appreciate your endorsement and hope to welcome you back in the near future if/when your travels return you to Bangkok.
Düsseldorf
Reviewed 13 March 2014

the okura is a calm and relaxed place in bangkok, where you can exhale and enjoy yourself. the roof top edge pool is wonderful and the rooms have an atmosphere of zen. it was the perfect stay at the beginning of our thailand trip. And also the food in the hotel ist great. Breakfast is a little bit expensive, but you can go out to have a coffee and croissant for example. the sundowner at the terrace is a must. You will love it like we did!

Dear Albermann,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We’re delighted that you managed to enjoy with us a great start to your holidays thanks to all we had to offer, starting from this buildings quite spectacular architecture and pool down to Bangkok’s best breakfast. Chef Thomas Jakobi and his team are continuously trying to improve this so very important first meal of the day and hope that next time you can try out our authentic Japanese breakfast experience in Yamazato. We are sorry however that you felt our breakfast to be expensive, and may we recommend for a future trip to look at the many packaged offers we provide on our website. I am sure you will be surprised by the value.
Thank you for your kind words, and we just hope that we’ll have the honour of welcoming you back once again!
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I simply love this hotel. I come to Bangkok often and have had the awesome privilege of staying in a number of five stars - there are so many! I tend to come for business in the heart of Sukhumvit. After shopping around, I will never stray from the Okura again. Just being here is like getting an upgrade. It is elegant. The service is impeccable. The decor is polished and very chic. The staff is incredibly professional as well as personable and welcoming. The restaurants are wonderful. It has one of my favorite breakfasts in Asia - fresh, healthy, amazing choices in a restaurant called Up & Above which offers beautiful views of the city from the 24th floor. The gym is sleek, high tech, well equipped and staffed by knowledgeable staff. It is hard not to feel lucky working out in the morning with a view over the infinity pool high, high above the city as it wakes. The Okura's elegance is understated - like staying in a spa. Quiet, tasteful, zen-like. The rooms are out of a design magazine. I just came back for my birthday, and was delighted by a surprise delivery of birthday cake topped with delicate macaroons. I like the fact that the hotel has its own connection to the BTS sky train and that there's a Dean and Deluca in the building for that morning shot of Western-style latte. For business travel, there is no other option as far as I am concerned.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room on the Southwest side - a view toward the Plaza Athenee. It offers lush...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank limiwa
SamirWildemann, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear limiwa
We can’t thank you enough for your feedback and loyalty and we were delighted to have had you staying with us again, especially as it was for a very special occasion!
Your kind comments about the facilities are most appreciated and I am delighted that you found it a nice environment to relax in, especially after returning ‘home’ from work!
We are very proud of our staff and it is always gratifying to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the staff and that their service is duly recognised.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon!
Sincerely
Mora, Sweden
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Okura Prestige knows how to treat their guests. We had a very good stay at this hotel. All of the staff seem to understand how important it is to give good service. The beds are very comfy and the soft pillows make it easy to dream sweet. Breakfast is great with both asia and farang style food.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

SamirWildemann, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear FrasseMas,
Thank you for your kind review of our Bangkok Hotel and your 5* rating! We appreciate you sharing your experience of your stay with us. We’re delighted that you enjoyed your luxurious guestroom as well as the comfortable Okura Bed and its fine linen! We receive so many positive comments about our bedding, and as we want our guests to really enjoy their sleep, we did spend a considerable amount of time designing every single aspect of it; as such we are not surprised to read so many positive comments!
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Okura Prestige on your next trip to Thailand.
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I often travel to Bangkok for work or relaxation from a nearby country. For a change i decided to try the Okura Prestige as i had admired the unique architecture of the building they share as it was being built over recent years.

Hotel is stunning in many ways. High Tech Japanese features, beautiful public spaces, quality food choices, subtle luxury and very affordable. The gym is excellent and the pool a true oasis.

Seamless style and service from start to finish. Only one minor hiccup with wait staff in the lounge not really as classy as their colleagues but maybe just a bad moment for the person concerned as other times were fine.

Room Tip: all sides have great views and no problems with curtaining as no light entered. i need to sleep like...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Monsinhanoi,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this very positive review regarding your recent stay with us. We were thrilled to read that you enjoyed your experience at The Okura Prestige here in Bangkok so much and truly appreciate all the positive comments you had to make. With that said, we are sorry for the spotty service you experienced in our Lounge, we will certainly be looking into this area.
We thank you for being such a great ambassador to Okura Hotels and we hope to welcome you back to our property here in Bangkok in the not too distant future on your next R&R.