“Not a 5 star hotel”

The Okura Prestige Bangkok
Ranked #6 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
“Not a 5 star hotel”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My reservation was for five days but I departed after two nights. The check-in process was the only good memory I take with me, fast and efficient. The air conditioner in my room was very noisy and woke me up several times. The drain in the shower room drained very slowly. There were stains on the carpet and wall. This hotel is not that old. I just wasn't impressed with the room at all.For breakfast I went to the main dining room and they were out of a lot of food items at 9.30 AM. I went to the pool hoping to spend the early afternoon to relax and read my newspaper but the pool was crowded and very small. Lots of young kids running around and nobody seem to bother to control such behavior. The staff that served drinks were very pleasant and I have nothing bad to say against anyone, but then nobody action. When I was going to checkout there were 4 agents working and I still had to wait15 minutes to check out. They apologized saying they were busy. I travel to Bangkok quiet often but sorry I won't return here. If you have never visited other Bangkok hotels, these may not bother you. However, if you have been spoiled by other hotels before then this is not a place to return too.

Room Tip: Check the room for defects
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
9 Thank Michaelpro48
SamirWildemann, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Michaelpro48,

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We’re dismayed to learn of your less than stellar experience at the Hotel.

We pride ourselves on providing thoughtful and highly personalized service always – and in all areas – and in this instance we did not deliver. Your feedback is taken to heart and is being shared with our entire team; on behalf all of us, our sincerest apologies.
I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further. I can be reached via email at Samir.Wildemann@okurabangkok.com or via phone at +66026579000.
It is our primary goal to serve and please our clients as you are here for business or relaxation and we truly hope to have the opportunity to create a wonderful visit for you yet.

Thank you again for your comments; we look forward to a second chance to create lasting memories.

Samir Wildemann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

1. Arrived at their 24th floor situated lobby. The kimono-wearing Japanese staff looked at me up &down without saying hello.
2. Turne downed before 6pm while I was still at swimming pool and they just did bed but touched nothing else.
3. A queue for breakfast. Restaurant was packed mostly with Chinese tourists. Being told to have to wait. Ok but when I asked back for how long the staff told me she wouldn't know. How prestigious i felt.
4. Got an outside table since no table was free inside the staff took the coffee order but didn't come back for table setting. I was just sitting there almost 10mns.
5. I happened to pass a staff and of course without any good morning she just warned me buffet would be over in 15 mns. Thanx.
6. Backed to room.bed has been done with all wrinkled sheets which I slept in last knight. I'm agreed with go-green things but all the hotels I've stayed before used to make room with unwrinkled sheet if I recall properly.
7. Bumped into my check-in receptionist with his colleague.
He said good morning while his colleague just staring me.
8. Swimming pool back. Signed name &room number then the staff gave me a towel and that was all the service they provide at poolside.
Not even a bottle of water nor laying tower on the bed In guest's stead.
So cool so chic maybe I'm just too old to understand these kind cool attitude from a swimming pool staff
9. It's my second day at this hotel and my book is until tomorrow.
OMG.
10. 3rd day morning. Japanese breakfast went quiet smooth which means less people. Nothing more.
11. I put a make up the room card before breakfast and came back to the room after swimming pool now @ noon. Room isn't made up.
Ok it's my last day but I'm checking out @4 pm!
12. Wherever you go in this hotel 2/3 of staff don't say hello I really don't know why I have written bad things on MO Bkk's staffs before. Mo. Sukohthai. The Siam. St. Regis. Even much cooler metropolitan's staffs always or at least try to smile to their guest
13. I got promoted to 4pm check-out but will leave now.

Overall.
This Okura could be a stylishly decorated new residence with a very clumsy untrained young sans- souci staff including Gms but a five stars rated hotel?? With A "Prestigious" behind?

I wouldn't even go like are you kidding me?-kind
rather like "How dare you?? "
Or "Who do you think we are?
A never slept in hotel for entire life person?? "

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank passionpit
SamirWildemann, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Passionpit,

Thank you for sharing your observations and feedback on your recent experience at our hotel. Our customers’ reviews are a valuable resource to ensure we are offering the best product and service.
As such, I am concerned about your observations on our staff’s attitude and treatment of guests. If we have, in any way, imparted an unwelcoming sense to you during your stay with us, we sincerely apologize for this.

Your feedback is valuable, and comes as a sincere surprise to me, as we understand the importance of maintaining a welcoming environment that transcends all tastes, styles and manner of dress. In fact, the elegant but easy-going atmosphere in our hotel has been a key factor in our success with repeat business. Nevertheless, rest assured we have taken note of your comments and will be even more vigilant in making sure we maintain a welcoming atmosphere.

As humbling as it is to receive this criticism, your critique will serve our team well, as we do continually look to find opportunities to improve our levels of service and attention to detail. I would like to reassure you that, while your stay certainly did not meet the highest level of service I know we are capable of, your experience is a rare one – one that I hope you will allow us to improve upon.
I hope you will let us know the next time you are travelling to Bangkok and give us a second chance. For that matter, I would be delighted to assist you personally with any booking arrangements.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience.

Respectfully

oro valley, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were in Bangkok on business and spent eleven days at the Okura Prestige. The location is great, my wife and I could walk downtown including a beautiful park nearby. Some of the best shopping in Bangkok is within an easy walk.

The buffet breakfast has everything one could want from cold cuts and cheese to egg dishes, Asian, pancakes, fresh fruit, danish etc.

We ate dinner at both Above and Beyond and Elements. We thoroughly enjoyed both because at the end of a long hot tiring day the last thing we wanted was to go on the town. The food and service were both excellent and the chef at Elements, Henry Jordan, came out and thanked us.

But what we enjoyed most was the staff. They were all fantastic, friendly, helpful and would go out of their way to help.

We highly recommend The Okura Prestige.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Stephen B
SamirWildemann, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Stephen B,

Thank you for posting a charming review of your stay at The Okura Prestige Bangkok.

We are really pleased we were able to make your entire eleven day long business trip so very special. With easy access to Bangkok's BTS train, surrounded by major embassies and offices, with easy access to shopping, we are indeed blessed with our location.

The hotel offers many excellent facilities including our signature Elements Restaurant which is inspired by the Two Michelin Star Ciel Bleu of our Okura Amsterdam and glad Chef Henry made your dining experience there even more special.
For Japanese food lovers there is our award-winning Yamazato Restaurant a not to forget the daily superb Afternoon Tea, as well as our Up&Above Terrace Bar serving bespoke cocktails. Over your long stay here, I hope you also managed to enjoy our Sunday Jazz Brunch, and if not, maybe something to keep in mind for a future stay!

Our team strives each day to provide exceptional service in all areas, and we're delighted that you experienced just that. We really hope to see you back very soon!

Yours sincerely

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

If I could live in the Okura Prestige in Bangkok, I totally would! I had the best experience of my life staying here - despite having to work.

I don't even know where to start in descibing this gem of a hotel we found in Bangkok. We chose this one as it really well priced, had great facilities and was walking distance to the office I was working at that week.

From our arrival to departure I felt like a princess in a golden palace high above the streets of Bangkok. The interior was superb and perfectly presented in a great layout.

The service was what you would expect from a Japanese establishment - unbeatable. I couldn't think of one complaint about any member of staff - they just seem to know what you need before you do.

The room was just one of their basic rooms and miles ahead of any other 5 star hotels more 'luxurious' rooms that I've stayed in. I must admit that when I read about the toilet seats being heated I was a bit of a non-believer, but it was really quite nice!

The pool and pool area was great as well and a perfect setting to work on my laptop the days the office was closed and I didn't want to be in the business centre. Although the business centre was really comfortable and had everything you would need, including a member of staff there at all times ensuring you do.

Room service was also fabulous and available whenever you need.

This hotel is completely flawless and I cannot wait until I get to go back! The only problem is all hotels since have failed to live up to my new standards.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
SamirWildemann, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Elena ,

There's nothing more rewarding than knowing that one of our guests has had a “perfect stay“ Be it on a business trip like yours, or on a holiday, that's what we hope for with all of our guests, and it’s our greatest joy when it happens.
We’re elated that you appreciated each touch – from your room (which includes the heated seats, ho-hum), to the relaxing moments at our cantilevered swimming pool, allowing you to unwind after a busy day at work .

We know that people have so many options when choosing hotels and are flattered that you chose The Okura Prestige Bangkok.

We hope we’ll have the chance to host you – and treat you to another perfect visit – once again in the future.

Marbella, Spain
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We spent there the weekend and we liked the Hotel and service a a lot. The decoration is modern and elegant, and the room very spacious with a japanese toilet.
The outdoor pool is superb, impressive views over the city and perfect for a swim after sighseeing the city.
The only but was the breakfast. The restaurant was too crouded and the second day we had to wait for 15 min before we got our table. During our meal the waiters forgot about our tea and they never picked up the dirty dishes. This should be improved.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Edu S
SamirWildemann, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Edu S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this very kind review regarding your recent stay with us.

We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience at The Okura Prestige here in Bangkok and truly appreciate all the positive comments you had to make.
With that said, we are sorry for the spotty service you experienced at breakfast as well as the fact that we were not able to seat you immediately. We are looking into this area as we again faced short waiting times over the past week-end. We are now expanding the restaurant by adding tables. Our Yamazato restaurant offers also a nice option for breakfast, a unique experience, obviously only if you love Japanese food.

We thank you for your business and we hope to welcome you back to our property here in Bangkok in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Nice room and helpful staff, very good location for shopping and travel in town with BTS in front and Central Chidlom nearby. In hotel building have 7-11 and Dean & DeLuca, It also have a beautiful pool and gym for work out.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Muzzy361
Dear Muzzy361,

Thank you so much for your review of The Okura Prestige Bangkok!

Sometimes the biggest luxury is to escape home in one’s own city and be pampered in a hotel with a lovely meal, relaxing moments in the Spa, or a good workout in our GYM, thus we absolutely appreciate that you did just that.
In all our Okura Hotels were are proud of our offerings and our motto is to provide best ACS -best Accommodation, best Cuisine and best Services and as such we hope to welcome you back soon for more.

Sincerely yours

Sunshine Coast
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

If staying in Bangkok, you simply must try this hotel.
Service is without doubt the best we have encountered anywhere in the world so far.

Pool - excellent view
Gym - huge and overlooks the pool
Bellboys - best we've seen as far as service is concerned
Breakfast - AMAZING! Huge selection
Room - comfortable bed and luxurious pillows, every little detail provided (shaving kit, dental kit, brush etc)
Room overlooked the pool area.
In room dining- brilliant!

We have stayed at one of the best hotels in Tokyo (PPT) and that was our favourite until now.
This hotel exudes luxury and top class quality. We just loved it.

We got a great deal on the room and wouldn't hesitate to return.
Don't look any further, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Tarns29
Dear rewabred,

We are very thankful that you took the time to write a review - thank you from all of us at The Okura Prestige Bangkok.
Your feedback means the world to us, and we cannot tell you how happy we are to know that your stay was so seamless and you enjoyed all we have to share.

We are proud of our offerings for guests, and we’re even more proud of our staff, who shares a passion to do all we can for our guests.

Thank you again; we hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back again.