“Yummy food. Expensive water”

Medici Kitchen & Bar
Ranked #34 of 10,918 Restaurants in Bangkok
Price range: US$25 - US$300
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Simply the best Italian Restaurant in Bangkok. A Rustic industrial space. A novel setting for enjoying vibrant and powerful Abruzzo regional cuisine. Evoking a neo-industrial opulence warmed by exotic, homely woods, Medici Italian Restaurant Bangkok is the heart of the award winning Bangkok Boutique Hotel, Hotel Muse Bangkok. The restaurant, Bangkok's most beautiful subterranean eatery, was inspired by the transition of European luxury and culture to King Rama V-era Asia, and the marriage of sophisticated elegance and homely charm.
Melbourne, Australia
“Yummy food. Expensive water”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I am a Chef at an Italian bistro down in Phuket. I came here to compare the food I cook to what some people tell me is the best Italian food in Thailand. Also maybe find some inspiration as well.
It's Mothers Day today so I thought I had better ring only to make sure they wern't booked out. I rang a bit before 11am. The person that answered the phone wasn't able to tell me anything except give me your number and we will call you back after it opens at 12pm. I thought it poor that they don't know whether their restaurant is booked out or not until it actually opens.
I took my chances and went. I was the only customer when I arrived. The service inside was great. Certainly the best I have experienced in 3 years in Thailand.
As soon as I was seated they asked me would you like sparkling or still water. What they didn't mention was that their water was going to cost me 210 baht ($7). This left me feeling a bit stooged when I was leaving later. To put it in perspective I could buy a main course in most places for less than that and I would have much rather given the 210 to the lady out the front of the hotel begging for coins. If not for this tricky water business I would have given 5 stars.
Moving on. I ordered the foie gras starter and a penne matriciana.
Bread was offered (for free :) with oil and balsamic. The starter came in perfect time. The foie gras was a good sized portion. It was cooked perfectly and the accompaniments were great as well. Perhaps they could have put just a slight bit more to accompany it. The sea salt on top was great as well.
After this was done with they topped up my bread. I thought the bread was nice and not too hard like someone else here mentioned. Crusty yes.
There was a bit of a longer wait this time but they informed me about it which was nice to see. Penne matriciana arrived. It looked like just penne and tomato sauce. To me matriciana has salami and olives at least but I know it varies chef by chef. Due to the very dark enviroment I couldn't get a good look at what I was eating but there was a fine dice of salami or something in there after all. They also grated parmesan into the pasta at the table which was nice. So the pasta was decent but I didn't see anything that made it special in it's own right.
As I mentioned the restuarant is very dimly lit. Probably just a touch too much. As another guy says it is hard to actually read the menu. Also I like to really analyse and see whats going on in my food but actually I was struggling to see it here. When the waitress brought the bill she had to move the table lamp just so we could read it. Going a bit far with the ambience.
Overall. Good food. Great service. Dark. Say no to water as maybe the cocktails are cheaper ;)

Visited August 2014
4 Thank nak_lang
HotelMuseBangkok, Resident Manager at Medici Kitchen & Bar, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Khun nak_lang,

Greeting from Medici Kitchen & Bar, welcome to Bangkok! Thank you very much for your nice feedback on our food quality, great service and overall dining experience.

Regarding to your comment on mineral water, it is served as standard for all diners at Medici. I apologize if the standard did not match your expectation.

I look forward to welcoming you back here at any time soon.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
English Riviera, United Kingdom
“Impression”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is first time we were Bangkok after hearing the fantastic reviews about this restaurant, food we order was amazing (ravioli with truffle and lamb Rossini),wine very nice,service was excellent and surprise with opera singer it's very impress and we will never fade from one's mind this moment. Everything we had was great, Thank you K.Noon for make our wonderful trip.

I would definitely go here again,

1 Thank adrian l
Dear Khun adrian l,

Thank you for joining us for dinner and left us a wonderful feedback. I am delighted to pass your compliments to our team especially Khun Noon. She will be happy to hear that you were impressed with the service that she provided. The opera performance will be start from 08.30 P.M. -09.30 P.M. on Monday - Saturday.

Please come back and try our Signature Filleto Alla Rossini, perfect combination between Australian beef tenderloin, foie gras and truffle.

Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

It´s really nice experience in bangkok,the decor was amazing but a little bit dark, food very tasty,good recommended wine, wonderful opera singer and service was super excellent,friendly and helpful.I could strongly recommended to visit this restaurant.

• Visited August 2014
Thank you very much for your excellent review.
I hope to see you soon, again big thanks for the strongly recommended to visit us at Medici Kitchen & Bar.

Have a nice day.

HK
“Wonderful dinner”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Beautiful restaurant at the basement level of our hotel. Service was excellent (our server was Amy) and the food was superb. The opera singers were amazing, truly made it a special evening!

1 Thank 70cyl
Dear Khun 70cyl,

Sawasdee Kha, I hope you reached home safely. Thank you for sharing your dining experience. I am glad to pass your compliment to our team especially Khun Amy. She will be the top notch of the team and always mentioned regarding her outstanding service.

We are looking forwards to welcoming you back at Medici Kitchen & Bar.

Bangkok
“Great interior design, very poor service and food. Never again.”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Typical French / Italian flair in atmosphere and design, it looks stunning, warm and cosy.

Then the problems start. Big time. First the service. It is poor bordering on lousy. We were told at 8:20 a table would be available in the main room in 40 minutes, that would have been 9pm, already a bit late but acceptable. At 9:20 we had no choice but to accept the bar, it was too late to move anywhere else. No apologies. During that hour the bartender asked too many times if we wanted another (paid) glass or wine, when he should have offered us one for free for making us wait that long. We brought a bottle of wine along, and I actually had to pour it myself. Even though we ordered in advance while sitting at the bar, we were presented the menus again and had to wait another 20 minutes to get our food. Overall the feeling was that of an well orchestrated money making machine. Fake compassion and fake concern for the customer.

Now for the food. Completely average at best and yet expensive. Average ingredients and average taste. The salad sauce on the rocket salad was no more than balsamic vinegar, the sun-dried tomatoes the size of peanuts and the shaved parmesan hiding. Melon and Parma ham average second rate. And the meat of the signature dish, beef + foie-gras, was so knotty that I left 30% and actually had to spit out a couple of mouthfuls.

Overall money very poorly spend, and I am not mean and not afraid of spending money on food. As for the opera singers, possibly the main attraction ? Well, when you're at the bar you here them in the distance.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Premium360
HotelMuseBangkok, Resident Manager at Medici Kitchen & Bar, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Premium360,
Thank you for reviewing us on Trip advisor. Delighted to read you liked our unique interior design and opera singers

I was of course concerned to read your negative feedback, which I have shared with the entire team. Please accept my apology for any inconvenience caused

Comment of this nature are usually rare on this site and we take them very seriously

In fact readers would see that reviews above and below yours, are referring to a complete different experience

Looking at it I believe the main reason for the poor rating is vastly due to the wait to get a table in the main restaurant as opposed to the bar or table by the open kitchen. Medici Kitchen and bar is popular and during busy service we try to accommodate our guest request the best we can

You might not have been offered a complimentary drink but you were not charge any corkage neither for bringing your own wine into a fine dining restaurant

As for your comment on the quality of the food I have shared them with Francesco our Executive chef but I shall let reviewers to decide by themselves by looking at other reviews as we proud ourselves for the authenticity of our dishes

If you ever change your mind in regards to “never again”, may I gently recommend you to make a reservation in advance especially on the week-end as this will certainly avoid unnecessary frustration.